Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

I've known several people in the headspace I think our favorite madman is in, and hell I've been there a few times myself.

This trip has precisely dick to do with the truck.

It has everything to do with the pathological urge to persist when every force, known and unknown, that man beast or god can bring to bear against you is telling you to stop. Whether it's correct or not, whether it makes sense or not, Dave has his identity tied up in the idea of Making This Voyage. It's not about stubbornness, it's not about running away from his problems, it's about deciding that this time, the bastards aren't going to stop him. If the vehicle breaks down, he'll walk. If his feet fall off, he'll crawl. If he turns back, then even though you, me, and everyone he knows will tell him it was the right decision, and he will probably agree with us, he will see himself as a failure and it'll be a long time before he puts much effort into bettering his life.

This has never been a trip about fixing a truck. It's always been a trip about fixing his life, and if he's got the will to do it. The fact that that will is enabled by outside sources really isn't relevant, since ultimately it's not us staring at a thousand miles of bad road and strapping in.

And no it doesn't make any loving sense and it's dumb as hell by any rational definition. But long dark nights of the soul don't tend toward reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

You realize now you basically have to get that fastback running.

Come to think of it - maybe the fastback set the fire :ohdear:

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Oh jesus mary and joseph the panther piss burned? gently caress's sakes god alone knows what the hell was in that smoke

• Locked thread