Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the best Ace Combat protagonist?
This poll is closed.
Cipher 79 32.24%
Phoenix 9 3.67%
Mobius 1 84 34.29%
William Bishop--lol get out 24 9.80%
SHOOT VISARI 49 20.00%
Total: 245 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Ben Kasack posted:

Ya know, I really though that with the last videos finally being put up, I could put this one behind and simply move on, and not have to here at stupid song that we totally dunk on Shamrock. But no. I kid you not, after watching all the bonus videos, the next time I went to drive my car, on the radio station I have as my default, motherfucking Puddle of Mudd Blurry is literally starting! I start up my car and the first thing out of the speakers it the loving opening guitar plinks and plunks!

This is truly the madness setting in and I know I shall never escape it... At least I can smile and forever tell Shamrock what bad taste in music he has.

Chopper :eng101: Chopper has horrible taste in music. Shamrock’s just a dipshit with no redeeming qualities. At least Chopper’s funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
That reminds me, I’m compiling footage to get the bonus videos for Ace Combat 5 done next. I should check to see if Wes Scantlin’s been arrested again lately and for what.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Sally posted:

it's why i keep telling crow we're not yet done with Shadows of the Empire

will you ever be done with Shadows of the Empire? I don't think so...

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

I will say this: I really should’ve been more specific with the wording of my challenge. I honestly thought that you would do Autumn Thunder or Stone Crusher. Granted, it’s been ~2+ years since I posted it, so I could’ve gone back and edited it...if I had remembered to. Which I definitely did not.

CJacobs was right, you ARE a genie, the kind that does WHAT he’s told...just not in the way people expect or hope for.

I loved it, by the way, even if I am kicking myself.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

HereticMIND posted:

I will say this: I really should’ve been more specific with the wording of my challenge. I honestly thought that you would do Autumn Thunder or Stone Crusher. Granted, it’s been ~2+ years since I posted it, so I could’ve gone back and edited it...if I had remembered to. Which I definitely did not.

CJacobs was right, you ARE a genie, the kind that does WHAT he’s told...just not in the way people expect or hope for.

I loved it, by the way, even if I am kicking myself.

It came about purely for practicality reasons, if I'm being honest, because the video already features lengthy segments from Farbanti, Stonehenge, and Megalith, and Shattered Skies isn't really a good showcase since Yellow Squadron bugs out the second you score a single hit on any of them. Putting in another lengthy segment of trying to down Yellow Squadron with another plane ill-suited to dogfigthing would have probably punched another 10-20 minutes onto an already lengthy video. So by process of elimination, Lifeline became the only "viable" option, and I figured, "gently caress it, I'll make it funny at least."

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Hey man, making comedy out of tragedy is difficult. Chopper understood that, his hilarious taste in music really helped the team recover when they set the boombox up on top of his definitely closed casket funeral

edit: To connect Chopper to THIS LP, it's the same metaphor I used in one of the videos just above- nicknaming a guy who flies planes Chopper is like taming a coyote and naming it Dog. Like yeah technically a plane pilot is skilled generally in piloting aircraft, as a coyote is technically the same species and 'thing' as a dog, but I'm gonna guess the plane takes a little bit more shall we say adrenaline to steer whereas a helicopter has only ever killed celebrities and sadly others riding with them. Coyote over there doesn't just want you to die, it wants you to die so it can eat you, but a dog doesn't even understand that you are able to die because it's so much simpler minded by comparison.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Apr 9, 2021

Ben Kasack
Dec 27, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

Chopper :eng101: Chopper has horrible taste in music. Shamrock’s just a dipshit with no redeeming qualities. At least Chopper’s funny.

Sorry. I've watched all of your AC vids AND with this being a 2 year old LP you'll have to forgive me not remembering every wing man's call-sign except for those you REALLY leaned into, like Shamrock. Hell, thinking about it, I can't even dredge up AC6's wing man's name and that's current! I'm just gonna blame Shamrock and be done with it. gently caress Shamrock.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

CJacobs posted:

Hey man, making comedy out of tragedy is difficult. Chopper understood that, his hilarious taste in music really helped the team recover when they set the boombox up on top of his definitely closed casket funeral

edit: To connect Chopper to THIS LP, it's the same metaphor I used in one of the videos just above- nicknaming a guy who flies planes Chopper is like taming a coyote and naming it Dog. Like yeah technically a plane pilot is skilled generally in piloting aircraft, as a coyote is technically the same species and 'thing' as a dog, but I'm gonna guess the plane takes a little bit more shall we say adrenaline to steer whereas a helicopter has only ever killed celebrities and sadly others riding with them. Coyote over there doesn't just want you to die, it wants you to die so it can eat you, but a dog doesn't even understand that you are able to die because it's so much simpler minded by comparison.

:goonsay: Chopper isn't supposed to be helicopter but as in a really loud motorcycle. :goonsay:

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Kibayasu posted:

:goonsay: Chopper isn't supposed to be helicopter but as in a really loud motorcycle. :goonsay:

No, it's a fantasy RPG party. Blaze, the (fire) mage, Edge, the quiet assassin-type. Chopper, the boisterous fighter with a big axe, and Archer, who is self-explanatory. Later on they replace Chopper with Swordsman.
:goonsay:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Radio Free Kobold posted:

No, it's a fantasy RPG party. Blaze, the (fire) mage, Edge, the quiet assassin-type. Chopper, the boisterous fighter with a big axe, and Archer, who is self-explanatory. Later on they replace Chopper with Swordsman.
:goonsay:

If anything, Ace Combat 7's crew is the fantasy RPG party. You've got a thief (Count), a shapeshifter (Huxian), a hunter (Jaeger), a bard (Skald), a lancer (Lanza), a sage (Wiseman), and a gunslinger (Trigger).

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You guys, crow and I are already expert choppers, I'd say we all know a thing or two about it. Now if only Deck 13 would make a game where you cut off the limbs of airplanes I'd be able to do one and have crow as a co-commentator for once.

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

And now for something completely different:

I bought Ace Combat 7 the other day for the PS4 and I’ve really enjoyed it so far! The campaign is nicely paced, the nostalgia baiting is either well executed or so subtle that you don’t even notice that they’re even relying heavily on it, and the mission setups are cool, if a bit tough for a first time run through. The fact that it can support HOTAS is just gravy, though I was stuck in “Elite: Dangerous” mode because I use that same HOTAS for “Elite,” and was attempting to juggle power pips when this game doesn’t do that (I switched back to my controller and haven’t looked back since).

The music is also excellent, as it should be. Many AC fans may (rightly or wrongly) poo poo upon Assault Horizon from the greatest of heights (for full transparency, I enjoyed my time with Assault Horizon, simply because it was the only Ace Combat game that I actually felt that I could have fun with), but AC7’s soundtrack made me think of AH, and AH has the best soundtrack of any AC title (I will eat a sixer for this; hell, I’ll even up the ante and eat a full week probe on this hill for saying good things about AH and none of you can stop me). Just the general tone and and pacing of each track really drives home the feeling of each mission, whether it be a “gently caress yeah you’re awesome” or “start making GBS threads your pants because you’re about to be hosed royally by drones/Mr. X.” The track that plays during the Stonehenge Defensive mission is such a love letter to 04 that I legit almost teared up with joy, especially as it swelled when Stonehenge fired for the last time, not as an instrument of chaos, but of hope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
:fork:Archived.:fork: