Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the best Ace Combat protagonist?
This poll is closed.
Cipher 79 32.24%
Phoenix 9 3.67%
Mobius 1 84 34.29%
William Bishop--lol get out 24 9.80%
SHOOT VISARI 49 20.00%
Total: 245 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

frozentreasure posted:

the level design I guess

No, AC3 introduces the godawful, tedious multi-stage missions in recycled maps that plague the rest of the series. AC3 has nothing in common with AC2:
  • completely different flight simulation, I think even missile trajectories are different
  • extremely generous hitbox for machine gun fire
  • missiles can lock from much further away (about twice as far I'd say?)
  • multiple missile and machine gun types to choose from
  • completely different scoring system
  • aces replaced by bosses
  • scripted fights. loving scripted fights
  • multi-stage missions. loving multi-stage missions
  • very little variety in maps (I hope you like futuristic cities - the same two or three over and over). AC2 had a unique map for each mission and I miss that the most
  • kick-rear end holographic HUD (that makes follow-target view actually usable, hell I played most of AC3 in follow-target view whereas if I try that in AH the lovely tiny little HUD disappears from view and I immediately slam into the ground). I can't wait for an AC3 remake just for this one feature, which only "makes sense" in a futuristic setting so I doubt we'll see it in another game
  • the 3D arrow pointing to the selected target was born in AC3, too
  • completely different plane list, including mission-specific planes like the stratofighter and the space fighter
  • completely different menu design, special effects, color palette, etc.
I think the only things they have in common are the control scheme (but AC3 introduces free look) and the camera angle. And most of the gimmick missions (canyon run, tunnel run, stratosphere interception, paradropped containers, ground targets that can't be locked by radar, etc.). The two games are so different it took me years and several tries to warm up to AC3 a bit. Now I love it almost as much as AC2. No, I haven't played 4 and 5, I never had a PS2, and my girlfriend traded in her copies of them

frozentreasure posted:

I dunno that game sucked pretty hard

I resent that remark :colbert:

frozentreasure posted:

mission briefing voice actor

People hate fun

frozentreasure posted:

a killer soundtrack.

mega-:agreed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUbXEQt8O2o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8d_L1AYcww

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

frozentreasure posted:

Who wants to play an Ace Combat without anime stories or characters?

Cool people.

I never played an Ace Combat with anime stories or characters so I don't even know what I'm missing

Son Ryo posted:

On this note, what do people think about Assault Horizon's story?

It sure was a story

Son Ryo posted:

Its gameplay was terrible of course

Nah it's fun, I just wish there was more variety in missions. The two helicopter missions are indistinguishable, and I'm sad bomber/gunship/attack plane only got one mission each (BTW, Su-25's awesome unguided bombs are nearly useless because you can fly it in a grand total of one mission, and it's an attack on shipping and half the time the bombs drop harmlessly in water. It's also a travesty that you can't dogfight in a Su-34 because the airframe is clearly capable of it), especially when most fighter missions are "shoot down these planes, then these other planes, then some more planes, then maybe some missiles or bombers, mission update there's some more planes to shoot down". And only two multirole missions mean very little chance to fly a PAK-FA, sit back and drop a Trinity cruise missile or two. I really dug the interactive opening credits with the door gunner mini-mission, though

Son Ryo posted:

but I think it's about as close as we'll get to an Ace Combat 'without anime stories or characters' and I just thought it was incredibly bland and I didn't find myself getting invested in the story at all.

For being dad/airport fiction it could have used some more absurdity. I mean you don't get into space once (not that it would be the same thing, what with the Space Shuttle canceled, the dadliest spacecraft). Slamming nose first into Miami stadium's scoreboard barely got me hard

e: and I never played MW2 because why the gently caress would I do that

hackbunny fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Aug 31, 2016

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

quote:

There are always limitations on what you can do. For example, early on we wanted to have a V/STOL version of the F-35 - the F-35C – involved in the game. I wrote a really cool mission for it, which would have shown off all of the real airframe’s capabilities.

We can suspend disbelief for a fighter jet carrying hundreds of missiles, but I don't know if we are ready for an F-35C that actually works

hackbunny fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Aug 31, 2016

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

NobleSixFour posted:

I wonder if anyone has modded a hovering F-35B into the helicopter missions on the PC version.

This would be so ridiculous I'm totally behind it

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

How's HAWX like as a game? how does it compare to AC? Are there any games/franchises like AC?

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

Ugh, it looks so cheap and dull. Also is that really the game's soundtrack?! e: ah-ha of course not

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I dunno, I find that mission so relaxing. You sit back and fire, point and kill. It's a nice change of pace

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

So I was in Gamestop to ask about the next Hitman and what did they have in their PS2 rack if not a copy of Shattered Skies? So I'm finally playing it. It's good! (but it still can't take AC2's special place in my heart) I really like the plot and the story intermissions, plot-wise AC2 was blah and AH was bleh (Electrosphere: "what's a plot?") so it's very welcome, but you can totally tell this game was made by military fanboys without a proper consultant. The difference with AH is striking: the enemy deploys really unlikely mixes of planes, including seriously dubious choices (Tornados as interceptors???), ships are made of cardboard and go down with a single missile, you can hear enemy radio chatter like it was nothing, briefings are super vague, you shoot an AMRAAM salvo and control will call Fox Two... lots of things, small and big. At least compared to AH the war is a proper land/sea/air continental war and you can do proper war stuff like destroying infrastructure, shipping, etc. I don't think you destroy a single building in the whole of AH? except maybe some bunkers and hangars here and there

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I should read post contents before clicking links

Kadorhal posted:

a cross between Ace Combat and Kantai Collection

No.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Well yes, the games were definitely made by and for Japanese milota. That said they're not meant to be realistic in any sense of the word, they're big bombastic arcade action experiences with silly superweapons and glorious, heartfelt anime speeches. Making them realistic would just detract from the experience.

Making them realistic gave us a bomber mission and a proper sea attack mission :colbert:

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

AradoBalanga posted:

It's nice to hear Invincible Fleet in its proper context (previously heard it in Lunethex's RE6 LP). But yeah, I can see why one would be turned off to the mission with such a giant map to cover and so many targets to hit. Like, I guess the sheer volume of targets was intended to be an early place to rake in cash to buy planes/weapons/colors as the game goes on, mostly so the player wouldn't be strapped for cash at an inopportune moment and have to engage in a dogfighting mission with an A-10 or a F-4.

My first run into Invincible Fleet wasn't as breezy as nine gear crow's and I was angry at the low time limit as I kept getting chased by interceptors and shot at over and over. I don't know what I did wrong but it felt completely different from how it played out in the video

Gamerofthegame posted:

Aegir fleet is a pretty weak pearl harbor

botes didn't even shoot back, smh botes

AH has warships as proper floating castles of death, bristling with AA weapons and taking a lot of fire from coordinated attacks before going down. And a carrier that actually launches planes. And when they run out of HP, their keel breaks and they split in two before sinking :black101:

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

Stonehenge doesn't make any drat sense. Asteroid fragments may be faster but they also have predictable, ballistic trajectories. And aren't Stonehenge's projectiles inert and purely kinetic? so why do they explode?

Not saying it doesn't look cool but, as an AA weapon it just doesn't make sense. A ballistic missile defense system maybe

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

Inglonias posted:

hang on, fighters chase you through the ravine?

Sometimes they do and it's annoying given that you're trapped by terrain on three sides and by Stonehenge above

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

Counterpoint: QAAMs are huge timesavers

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I hope I made someone at least briefly mad with that :v:

But drat I wouldn't like being on the receiving end of a 04 QAAM, those things are persistent. I'll fire one and get a "destroyed" notification like two kills later. In the debriefing replay it looks like my white arrow calmly glides about while enemy planes run in circles as if followed by swarms of bees. Whoever says that the AH QAAMs are as deadly as 04's have no idea what they are talking about

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

The way secondary weapons are assigned to planes in AH makes me angry. Only the MiG-21 and the Su-25 get the gunpod, only the Su-25 gets the UGBs, and no attack plane gets Trinity. And the lack of Napalm is shameful because the game engine can draw some beautiful gasoline explosions

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

drat! Pity it's DLC, the Moscow mission must be a literal blast with bombs

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

16 QAAMs do the trick handily :v:

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

While the A-10 was being developed the Avenger didn't exist yet and the YA-9 and YA-10 prototypes used the Vulcan :eng101:

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

It was not a good movie.

What

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

V-22 Osprey
Appears exclusively in Ace Combat 04, in this mission and this mission only.

It appears in Ace Combat 3 too :eng101: Unless it's some futuristic variant of it, of course

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

Just remember, the deadline for your submissions for Viewers Choice Video are open until Jan 25th. So now that you've seen both Farbanti and Megalith, is there anything else you'd like to see me attempt in Ace Combat 04 before we shut this thing down for good?

Barrel roll around a suspension bridge, lengthwise

e: in an A-10

hackbunny fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jan 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I was always OK with Electrosphere having no plot, it's not like AC2 had any. What really hosed with me at the time was that the flying model was completely different and almost unusable without an analog pad. It took me longer than a decade to warm up to it and now it's one of my favorite games in the series and my absolute favorite OST. Best HUD in the series too IMO, I really miss the holographic artificial horizon in the other games