Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the best Ace Combat protagonist?
This poll is closed.
Cipher 79 32.24%
Phoenix 9 3.67%
Mobius 1 84 34.29%
William Bishop--lol get out 24 9.80%
SHOOT VISARI 49 20.00%
Total: 245 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I couldn't follow the war or storyline of AC2 at all, so here's hoping this one's better.

Wonder when the series is going to finally have a female protagonist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cooked Auto posted:

I'd argue that the callsigns are neutral enough to just say that Mobius One/Blaze/Cipher/Phoenix is a female pilot if you so like.
Sure, it'd be cool if it happened but the game is vague enough about the main characters identify that you can just make up your own.

Just spitballing here, but one thought I've had watching this LP series is that a potentially interesting way to tell an Ace Combat story would be to feature a protagonist squadron, with the actual PC faceless but each mission's briefing/inter-mission story bit narrated by one of your squadron mates, perhaps as flashbacks or perhaps as journal entries written during the conflict.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
A fun fact about the Bear: it's so ungodly loud that submarines have picked them up on hydrophone.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cooked Auto posted:

It's like they saw the Thunderscreech and went "Yeah we can do better than that" and so they did.

Still less metal than the Valkyrie, though. A plane that surfs its own vortex of air for lift.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Yep, and there's a small number of aircraft today that use it, like the O-2 Skymaster. It's called the push-pull configuration, and it was used for a number of seaplanes in the early to mid-20th century most significantly. Like pusher prop (propeller at the rear) designs, it's just not as efficient or practical as the traditional puller prop (propeller at the front) design.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
All I can think of when listening to the story and in-game chatter in these games is, I think they'd be a lot more fun if all the dialogue was replaced with a voice pack like Lunethex uses over in the Battlezone LP. Does anyone take these games' stories and characters seriously?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ashsaber posted:

Its one of the more enjoyed parts of the series, especially the in game chatter. It is extremely fun when by the midgame the enemy collectively flips their poo poo at the very sight of your emblem.

I do enjoy that, I just think these games are so silly I think it's something of a waste that they by and large take themselves so seriously. Which admittedly is itself part of why they're so absurd to me.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Lunethex posted:

To be fair I take Ace Combat seriously.

But when it's so obviously hammy (I mean half or more of the characters in Battlezone are named directly after developers) I will definitely poke fun at it. It doesn't mean I'm not highlighting the important bits of its story, just talking over the redundant information.

I'm just saying, I think this game could only be improved by enemy pilots screaming "OH GOD HITLER WHY?!" when you shoot them down. :v:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

hackbunny posted:

How's HAWX like as a game? how does it compare to AC? Are there any games/franchises like AC?

See for yourself in the LP.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Well, that mission's going to be one hell of an ecological disaster for the region. I don't envy the poor bastards trying to contain this oil spill.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Let's Play Ace Combat 04: Environmentalists' Lament

Regarding the Ace Combat 7 speculation, somehow I get a funny feeling the final mission will ask you to fly up into the space elevator and have a dogfight inside the space station at the other end.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Or if the ISAF is competent, they may have had a decoy strike going on somewhere else to attract Stonehenge's attention before this operation started.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
The thought also occurs to me that it's probably impossible to hide from the public what Stonehenge is firing at. Assuming Erusia isn't comically evil, there's no way to spin "We just tried to murder a bunch of women and children" into positive press.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

nine-gear crow posted:

The term came to contemporary cultural awareness in the mid-90s with the John Travolta/Christian Slater action movie Broken Arrow by John Woo. It was not a good movie.

It did have one good line, though: "I don't know what's scarier, it happening or that it happens so often there's a term for it."

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
With the talk of the battlefields in the next game, you know you have to support the navy every chance you get. Because it takes serious balls to name the Iowa-class flagship of your navy the Marigold.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Well that was underwhelming. I was expecting something more based on the music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Brunom1 posted:

It's the kind of thing that loses a bit of impact when it's not you at the controls.

This a simple mission, yes, but that trench run is very tense. If you pretty much anything other than yawing and very slight vertical shifts, you're very likely to smash into something.

Still, near as I could tell Megalith never actually shot at nine-gear. A brief dogfight against planes you've shot down several times by now that aren't even the squadron they ostensibly represent, then a few trench runs against a stationary target that doesn't shoot back.