Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the best Ace Combat protagonist?
This poll is closed.
Cipher 79 32.24%
Phoenix 9 3.67%
Mobius 1 84 34.29%
William Bishop--lol get out 24 9.80%
SHOOT VISARI 49 20.00%
Total: 245 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Lunethex posted:

Well Assault Horizon kind of does, if we're strictly speaking from a player controlled character who pilots a plane in a game about flying planes.

And if we are, I made her look drat good with that amazing flying I did in that Nap of the Earth canyon run with that big rear end gunship :dukedog:

Say what you will about Assault Horizon (cliched under-baked plot, barely developed characters and protagonist - which is saying something in an Ace Combat game, way too long and mechanically barren helicopter missions, dogfight mode being WAY over emphasized), some of it can look really good when its given time to just fly.

So do we start the blood feud about whether AC4 or AC5 is better now or later?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

If you're running out of missiles in an Ace Combat game you're probably spamming them at planes you're never going to hit. All enemies have fairly obvious "shoot me now!" tells.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

As a really basic Ace Combat clone I actually really liked HAWX. However the sequel made some weird changes to the weapons, plane loadouts, and how the planes handled that really threw me off. I couldn't get used to it.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

hackbunny posted:

AH has warships as proper floating castles of death, bristling with AA weapons and taking a lot of fire from coordinated attacks before going down. And a carrier that actually launches planes. And when they run out of HP, their keel breaks and they split in two before sinking :black101:

For all of AH's fault (though I think the worst of them is not having a cohesive enough cast of characters and narrative - yes, narrative) the fleet attack mission is a great spectacle piece and the game's best use of DFM. Which is somewhat weird because it has nothing to do with dogfighting.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

We still have so far to go if we want to get to the best Infinity remix, honestly.

Until someone remixes The Journey Home we still won't have gotten to the best song :colbert:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I remember liking this mission a lot when I first played it but thinking on it now I might be confusing it with the similar mission in 5. Maybe I just liked seeing how much I could kill before time ran out, because I remember enjoying the other "Return Line" missions too.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I'm not saying Sky-Eye is a bad AWACS advisor but the best one is obviously in 5 :colbert: (and it's not the one you start with)

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Personally I really like AC5 partly because of how different it does do things from the previous ones, even the missions where it doesn't quite work out (though it isn't just the changes to the mission structure I liked). I had played AC since it was Air Combat and by 4 some of the mission formulas were getting a bit stale and I welcomed the changes they attempted. But we'll get there when we get there.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Dec 2, 2016

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

If you ask me the worst part of Air Combat is that terrible paint job. I remember always using the cheat code that gave all the planes back the colour they have in the purchase screen.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Cythereal posted:

Well that was underwhelming. I was expecting something more based on the music.

Crow ruined it by not hitting the afterburner for the entire mission and never letting go :colbert:

Looking forward to reliving Ace Combat 5. Of all the AC's it's what I would call the best, in no small part because it did a lot of things different than all the previous entries.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The only thing disappointing about the Ace Combat 5 trailer is that at no point in the game do you actually fight literal demons. Spoilers I guess?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

Thank you, everyone again. So yeah we're not quite done yet with Ace Combat 04. Operation Katina is coming up next week, so look forward to me, CJacobs and ddinkins making GBS threads on Blurry, Puddle of Mudd, and Wes Scantlin for a solid hour next Saturday. Then after that, will be the Bonus Update, and possibly if I can track down Blind Sally maybe we'll see Muptiplayer Mode in action, but no promises.

Just remember, the deadline for your submissions for Viewers Choice Video are open until Jan 25th. So now that you've seen both Farbanti and Megalith, is there anything else you'd like to see me attempt in Ace Combat 04 before we shut this thing down for good?

Kibayasu posted:

Crow ruined it by not hitting the afterburner for the entire mission and never letting go :colbert:

Let's speedrun.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

OddHaberdasher posted:

These 'helicopter barrel rolls' I have heard so much about intrigue me. I wouldn't mind if you showed that off.

It's a game mechanic to dodge missiles so you'll be seeing plenty of it :v:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Can't wait to show some upstart AI how we humans fly.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Thefluffy posted:

so how long before someone slaps tits on a plane in a game.

Are we talking metaphorically, visually, or literally?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Psycho Landlord posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvoaQoSeXYQ

So they're real into this new cloud system.

Even with the HUD and radar the combat in AC has always been visual so adding a few wrinkles could really help the combat feel fresh. At least as long as the computer planes react to it in a similar manner that the player can, rather than just treating it as if it isn't there.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

I was going to call the AC5 thread "Donald Trump's America Simulator - Let's Play Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War", but I suddenly feel the joke, no matter how funny, is suddenly gauche in light of recent (and alarmingly continuing) events :yikes:

That's a better joke for The Division anyways.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

The irony of course being that that trailer has more spoilers in it than that one brief scene I showed you last week.

The Japanese have perfected the art of putting basically the entire plot of a game in an attract sequence or long trailer but in such a manner that you will have no idea what's going on anyways until you remember seeing this or that 2 second clip in a cutscene later.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The overall formula is still the same of course but, as you say, if you're paying attention the first mission really does go to show just how different AC5 wanted to be from its predecessors, and honestly from it's successors as well even if it didn't know it. Though I guess since I've never played 6 as it remains an Xbox game it could be the outlier.

Even with more to come already we've been introduced to more characters with hints at more personality then every other main character in the series. Even Pixie only really had a few short lines of dialogue where he was actually expressing things about his character. I'd even say that AC5 manages to get the player attached to locations and things like no other game in the series, even if its just a minor attachment. It'll be nice to see it all over again.

Edit: Didn't notice that links to the new thread rather than the Youtube video I just watched. Ignore me!

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Feb 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

CJacobs posted:

Hey man, making comedy out of tragedy is difficult. Chopper understood that, his hilarious taste in music really helped the team recover when they set the boombox up on top of his definitely closed casket funeral

edit: To connect Chopper to THIS LP, it's the same metaphor I used in one of the videos just above- nicknaming a guy who flies planes Chopper is like taming a coyote and naming it Dog. Like yeah technically a plane pilot is skilled generally in piloting aircraft, as a coyote is technically the same species and 'thing' as a dog, but I'm gonna guess the plane takes a little bit more shall we say adrenaline to steer whereas a helicopter has only ever killed celebrities and sadly others riding with them. Coyote over there doesn't just want you to die, it wants you to die so it can eat you, but a dog doesn't even understand that you are able to die because it's so much simpler minded by comparison.

:goonsay: Chopper isn't supposed to be helicopter but as in a really loud motorcycle. :goonsay: