Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the best Ace Combat protagonist?
This poll is closed.
Cipher 79 32.24%
Phoenix 9 3.67%
Mobius 1 84 34.29%
William Bishop--lol get out 24 9.80%
SHOOT VISARI 49 20.00%
Total: 245 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Look at all these people voting for pilots without a cool red phoenix emblem, shame. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

It's a launch PS2 game.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

The thing about those options though is that it's the lazy way of doing it. It just cuts off the top and bottom. It's especially noticeable in cockpit mode, and it's really bad in AC0.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Hey, good news! We have a TGS lineup for Bamco!

Hey, bad news! Ace Combat 7 isn't on it!

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

The F-5 is great, but I'm not gonna be too hard on Crow for hating it. He has a hard enough time dealing with his UGB problem, I can at least take some pity.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Brunom1 posted:

Crow, I am so very disappointed you didn't use this BGM for your experiment video:

I actually convinced him to use Drumfire, but he had already made the video like a month ago so :v:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Production I.G did the cutscenes for Electrosphere? It looks much worse than literally anything else I've ever seen from them. Ghost in the Shell it certainly ain't.

Well, how do you feel about 3D and Cyborg 009?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrmbrbQ6c40

(I don't actually mind the CG, but goddamn was the rest of that a shitshow.)

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Oh, no, it's definitely not fair, but I've heard people talk about that movie as if it had the worst art of anything ever. I dunno, I think that's really good looking personally, but I'm weird. It's not as weirdly variable in quality as the Berserk OVAs, not charmingly jank like Sidonia, and not outright terrible like Berserk 2016. Could be much worse.

Also I hope you're all ready for the biggest, baddest, most exciting blowout 20th anniversary Ace Combat special from TGS 2016, because here it is

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

AradoBalanga posted:

Oh trust me, I've seen janky CGI in the past as well. RE:Cyborg is nowhere near some the worst I've seen either.

Also, calling it now, that bird is totally Ace Combat 7's protagonist. No more pilot suits filled with springs and joints like the past protagonists, now it's a tiny bird committing war crimes.

Wouldn't be the first time.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/thef35/status/779343288276955136

It begins. And of course it is only appropriate that it opens with something breaking.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

hackbunny posted:

you can totally tell this game was made by military fanboys without a proper consultant.

Well yes, the games were definitely made by and for Japanese milota. That said they're not meant to be realistic in any sense of the word, they're big bombastic arcade action experiences with silly superweapons and glorious, heartfelt anime speeches. Making them realistic would just detract from the experience.

Kadorhal posted:

On the subject of the Aegir Fleet, some time ago I came across some artwork that's basically a cross between Ace Combat and Kantai Collection. For those (possibly-morbidly) curious, courtesy of one "Tom-Neko" (it's a pun on the F-14, appropriately enough) I give you Geofon, Tanager, and Raven.

This is not a rabbit hole you want to start going down, Kad.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Kad you don't know the half of it. Nobody does.

I am the true cautionary tale.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Nanomashoes posted:

The next game can stick you in a real poo poo situation if you pick the A-10 for every ground mission, it's great.

And that mission is what got me into going into Ace difficulty with woefully underequipped planes. It's probably my favorite mission in the series.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

radintorov posted:

Doing that with an A-10 is the one true way of completing that mission.

Nah, the A-10 in that game has 17 in air to air and 34 in mobility. Those numbers are just too high. We need to get at least one of those down by at least thirty percent.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Meanwhile, Infinity's QAAMs might as well just be slightly more powerful regular missiles for all the tracking they do.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

ninjahedgehog posted:

It got a remix in Infinity:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dE7udx4RTj8

It's.... meh. The only song actually improved by the Infinity remix is a few missions away.

We still have so far to go if we want to get to the best Infinity remix, honestly.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

If you aren't rocking an itasha in any game where it's possible, you're doing it provably wrong.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Thefluffy posted:

The cool part about the stonehenge battle is that the guns are so loving huge that the otherwise worthless rocketpods are really loving effective against them. Felt drat good to kill it in the F-5. :smugdog:

Yes but that isn't dumbfiring 6AAMs into the turrets and watching its health go down like mad. :kheldragar:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/keikikobayashi/status/796532234622816257

please

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/11/23/playstation-experience-2016-panel-lineup-100-playable-games/

quote:

Ace Combat 7

:frogsiren:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

If the prospect of playing Ace Combat in VR isn't something you IMMEDIATELY thought of and looked forward to immensely from the second the concept was introduced of a modern VR thing, I don't know what to tell you other than you're pretty much in the wrong.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

NobleSixFour posted:

Do Stonehenge or Megalith CJacobs style: in an F-5, upside down, nap-of-the-earth.

Oi! That's my style!

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I'm glad they locked down the :xbone: market.

Those extra twelve copies they sell will be a nice cherry.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Look, so long as I can continue, as crow says, "Isamu-ing" my way through the series doing dumb dodges and flying waaay to close to the ground and obstacles for anyone's comfort, I don't care what else is in the game.

Especially if I can do it in glorious face-mounted VR cockpit view.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

KDavisJr posted:

Oh man, gently caress Idolmaster, motherfuckers are gonna me modding skins of everything!

So long as Kotori gets her own plane :colbert:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Shinjobi posted:

That video was a lot of fun. More fun than Operation Katina's later stages, especially.

All of Katina is fun.

I just wish there were actual rewards for SSS rankings.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Huh, I guess he finally got someone to take it all away.

Even if 'it' is him, and 'away' involves the back seat of a cop car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Kibayasu posted:

The Japanese have perfected the art of putting basically the entire plot of a game in an attract sequence or long trailer but in such a manner that you will have no idea what's going on anyways until you remember seeing this or that 2 second clip in a cutscene later.

Recently, Yakuza 0 has done this in spectacular fashion with its opening. And also Nier for just HOW MUCH poo poo it throws at you in its opening that at first seems like nothing but is actually pretty major spoiler territory.