Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the best Ace Combat protagonist?
This poll is closed.
Cipher 79 32.24%
Phoenix 9 3.67%
Mobius 1 84 34.29%
William Bishop--lol get out 24 9.80%
SHOOT VISARI 49 20.00%
Total: 245 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

nine-gear crow posted:

Before we get going, I feel the need to acknowledge my predecessors in this endeavor, in a sense. Both ninjahedgehog and Terashell attempted to LP Shattered Skies in 2012 and 2008, respectively. So this LP is dedicated to them, and god willing I actually see this one through for them.

:respek:

Thanks for the shoutout, dude! Mine was plagued by technical issues from the word go (first time using a PVR, which for some reason cut out the first few seconds of every single cutscene, briefing, mission, really any time the game's resolution changed) and I honestly just ran out of poo poo to say by mission 5 or so. There is some stuff I planned on talking about that I never got to that I'll just post in the thread when we get to the relevant missions.

Good luck. We're all counting on you.

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Aug 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

qine

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Ace Combat is the Dynasty Warriors of the flight sim genre. And it's perfect.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

NobleSixFour posted:

(Also, as a connoisseur of airport DadReading--Clive Cussler, Tom Clancy, et cetera--the fact that the story was by Jim DeFelice makes things that much funnier, because he is third-rate even among that crowd.)

To his credit, apparently he did his research and actually started writing a Strangereal-set story before Project Aces told him that they wanted Generic Military Story and that's what they hired him for.

It is funny to me how after all that, the finished plotline still has some weird Japanese lost-in-translation quirks to it. At one point a character tells another "go make NATO proud!" Like, NATO's a military alliance, it doesn't really have an identity like that. It's not something anyone feels patriotic for....

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah, as usual Kobayashi knocked it out of the park with the soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUUchxqHIpM

EDIT: And even though I think 6 is overall prettier, AH has some of the best-looking explosions I've seen in gaming, up there with the original Mercenaries and Just Cause 3. Airplanes loving tear themselves apart in huge, greasy clouds of smoke and fire with shrapnel flying everywhere, and if you're flying too close behind them you get jet fuel splattered all over your canopy. It's great.

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Aug 30, 2016

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Psion posted:

As far as I know no - either AH isn't very moddable or nobody cares to find out. I imagine it's both.

It's too bad - I'd love to mod the DLC plane selection into campaign. Like, keep the class restrictions per mission sure whatever, but if the mission allows fighters and multirole, let me pick any, not just the ones in the 1.0 launch.

I'd like the ability to pick my wingmen's planes, or at the very least force them to match mine. It feels weird when I want to fly a Tomcat but the mission is scripted for everyone else to be flying Raptors.

E: This goes for Zero, too. I get that the Solo Wing F-15C was a crucial part of Pixy's identity, and the reveal of the Morgan with the red wing wouldn't have work without it, but at least on a new game+?

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

I think the point where I decided that the Tom Clancy name/brand meant absolutely dick-all was when I fired up the HAWX demo and noticed that the MiG-29 and Su-27 were called Mig-29 and SU-27, respectively. Holy loving poo poo, you guys didn't even bother to spend three seconds with a Jane's Guide to Airplanes? or Wikipedia?

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Sep 1, 2016

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

After Mission 12 it gets a kickin' remix.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

The little hash marks underneath the name correspond to how many kills you have with that particular plane. After a certain amount they turn into Pac-Men . It's just a silly reference that doesn't really mean anything.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

I know it's in a different key, but come on, Crow, how do you not hear this?

Blockade (2:39):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haEoo0RHu-Q&t=159s

First Flight (0:30):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgNGtGI-XbM&t=30s

Also, the Blockade tune isn't nearly as good as Operation Bunker Shot and I will fight people about this. :colbert:

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

No Ace Combat 7 news at TGS, it seems. :sigh:

Inglonias posted:

I've always been confused by the units on the "distance from target" display. Is it in decameters or something? Why is ~800 the limit of the range on the missiles here when ~5000 is the limit for your missiles in 5 and zero?

Yeah I've always been confused by that. Speed is clearly in MPH (or KPH if you're a filthy commie) but the range units make no sense at all. It's probably deliberately vague, because if missile ranges were anything close to realistic you'd get a Slammer lock-on up to a hundred nautical miles out and finish entire missions with your eyes glued to the radar screen.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

One of my favorite parts of Infinity was how many planes had a hypothetical JASDF sea-blue camouflage paint scheme. Off the top of my head the Raptor, Typhoon, both F-35s and a couple of the fictional ones all had them.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Teeeeeechnically LASM in 04 stands for Long-range Anti-Surface Missile. They weren't specifically called anti-ship missiles until at least Zero. never mind the fact that they're clearly modelled after Exocets and Harpoons. And that even after Zero you can still use them against whatever you want anyway....

:goonsay:

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

hackbunny posted:

AH has warships as proper floating castles of death, bristling with AA weapons and taking a lot of fire from coordinated attacks before going down. And a carrier that actually launches planes. And when they run out of HP, their keel breaks and they split in two before sinking :black101:

Infinity does it even better: AEGIS cruisers will intercept and destroy incoming missiles heading to any ship in their battle group, so you have to destroy them first with guns or unguided bombs. Of course, good luck getting close to them when they and the entire fleet's AA network is dumping missiles at you. And of course Infinity uses the same game engine as AH, so they go up in cataclysmic explosions with shrapnel raining down in the water all around them and leaving big-rear end oil slicks in their wake. :black101:

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Nanomashoes posted:

e: maybe stability too? what does that even do?

Lets you fly more slowly without stalling. It's pretty important for an low-altitude attacker that wants to really work over targets.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Psion posted:

the only missile which should be ultimate killdeath when it hits is a SAAM because keeping a lock circle on someone (especially the smaller circle in more recent games) is something which both requires skill and renders you hideously vulnerable to taking a missile yourself. If this means I can rack up a huge kill streak in using a MiG-21 or F-4, that's fine. :)

If you're taking a MiG-21 without gunpods I don't even know what to tell you. :colbert:

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It got a remix in Infinity:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dE7udx4RTj8

It's.... meh. The only song actually improved by the Infinity remix is a few missions away.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

We still have so far to go if we want to get to the best Infinity remix, honestly.

No way dude. You must be STONEd, or clearly unHENGEd. Either way, I find your opinion OFFENSIVE. Wow, I'm not good at this.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

The Wyvern is carrier-capable in 04, too. They took that out in 5, which is annoying because AFAIK 5 is the only AC game to date where, for plot reasons, some missions require you to take off from a carrier.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Out of curiosity, did you get Jean-Louis and Gene's callsigns from storyboards as well? For what it's worth, their Terminator skins in Infinity show them as Yellow 21 and Yellow 18, respectively. But I'm confident we'll talk about these two a lot more later in the game.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

As I'm aware, both Cipher and Mobius 1's F-15C paints are based on a JASDF aggressor squadron:

Tuttle's paintjob, meanwhile, is based on the Streak Eagle, which was basically an experiment to see how fast a jet aircraft could accelerate vertically, including stripping its paint to save as much weight as possible. This research was later used to develop the ASM-135 anti-satellite missile, which, as the only American fighter that could break the sound barrier in a 90-degree vertical climb, was carried exclusively by the F-15A. I think the F-22 or F/A-18E might be able to match it, but the ASAT program was scrapped a decade before either of them entered service.

In summary, the F-15 owns and has owned for many, many years. :black101:

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Oct 16, 2016

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Nanomashoes posted:

Tango line is the mission where your mind goes numb from 20 minutes of thrilling air to ground combat and you crash into a mountain and have to do the whole thing over again. And then you crash again. And again. And then you stop your replay of the game.

Yeah this is easily the worst mission in the game. Runners-up: Safe Return might be less exciting, but at least it's an interesting premise, and Whiskey Corridor is basically Tango Line 2.0, but has cool poo poo going on on the ground, entire Erusian tank divisions making GBS threads their pants en masse as you fly overhead, and a sweet (synth) trumpet solo.

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Oct 23, 2016

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Son Ryo posted:

I don't get it, it sounds like you're just talking about the same person twice?? (and I'm not talking about Arcade Mode)

I'm pretty sure he's talking about Oka Nieba (who owns) as opposed to Thunderhead (who's a prick).

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Something that just occurred to me: Not giving the F-4E any sort of AA SP weapon is just straight-up bad game design. Even apart from making no narrative sense (they're scrambling to defend against bombers, someone court-martial the Fort Grace crew chief who decided to load up Mobius 1 with bombs), in the very first mission of the game you're forced to take something completely useless. If the devs were truly that paralyzed about giving the player too many options at the beginning of the game, just go without SP weapons entirely the first time through and introduce the concept in Mission 2. AC5 does the same thing, come to think of it, but it has SP weapon issues far beyond that that we'll talk about later.

It also gets in my craw how some planes have 3 SP weapons but some only have 2 with no rhyme or reason, up to and including the top-tier king asskicker and Plane On The Game Cover F-22 Raptor.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

This actually might be my favorite mission in the game, if only because it makes you feel like such a goddamn hero. It's you versus a dozen fighters completely alone, with 400 innocent lives directly on the line. I love all of the implied backstory: the diplomatic caper, the skirmish on the runway, and the flight attendants ordering passengers to close their windows so they don't panic when they see the carnage outside. Even the Erusians get some character here too, with that one pilot asking his squadron leader if the orders are actually correct, because there's no way we're actually supposed to shoot down a civilian airliner, right, sir?

SkyEye is more of a bro than ever here, too. I've always liked the fact that he asks Nagase to raise altitude so I can do my job better.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

biosterous posted:

By sending fighters, Erusia has a chance to force the planes to land & "reclaim" the passengers, but if you use Stonehenge all you're getting is a rain of aluminum and chunky salsa.

Yeah this is the most likely explanation. As for why they didn't deploy Stonehenge once Mobius 1 started taking them to school, I think it's implied that Stonehenge takes a while to acquire targets and engage (in Tango Line it can only fire every few minutes) and by the time that could happen the airliners were out of range.

Cythereal posted:

Or if the ISAF is competent, they may have had a decoy strike going on somewhere else to attract Stonehenge's attention before this operation started.

I don't really buy this, if they had time to organize and launch a decoy operation, they had time to launch an entire squadron to protect the airliners. I sort of assumed that Mobius 1 just happened to be flying a patrol nearby when he got the call.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

NobleSixFour posted:

Edit because I don't want to double-post: I just got this month's issue of Combat Aircraft and there was a two-page feature centered on a couple photos that leaked late this summer of...drum roll please...a couple of F-117s taxiing to the runway at Holloman. That's right. The Nighthawk might be back.

At this point can't the Raptor do pretty much everything the Nighthawk can do, but more and better? Like, the F-117 can basically only carry two bombs deep into hostile airspace unnoticed, but not only can the Raptor do that, but it can also do it faster, even more quietly, and then afterwards out-turn and out-fight literally everything else in the sky while also using its radar as a mini-AWACS to direct friendly AA missiles?

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Dec 1, 2016

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

I hope they bring back 6's semi-permanent missile trails and smoke. Dogfights in that game looked absolutely insane after a few passes.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Hace posted:

Skies Unknown is a really dope subtitle

The cover (?) is sick as hell too, even if that dude on the catwalk is about to get his eardrums completely blown out by that Raptor :black101:

EDIT: Also, holy poo poo:

quote:

Clouds aren't always good news, however. "You have to be careful because you don't just worry about the size of the cloud. In it, there’s a difference in wind currents, and the temperature changes." Staying in a thick cloud for too long could cause your vision to be obscured with moisture in cockpit view, your fighter could suffer icing which would cause you to stall, or you could crash into another plane. "Once you get out of the loop and into the cloud, it isn't always necessarily safe. Sometimes more dangerous. So what’s new is that judgement call and shift in strategy you have to make yourself."

I've never been more excited for dynamic control surface icing before.

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jan 27, 2017

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Thefluffy posted:

the subtitle "skies unknown" makes me think it is going to be an ace combat/x-com crossover. :v:

I would play the poo poo out of an Ace Combat with dynamically-generated missions and customizable wingmen who rise through the ranks before inevitably getting shot down. Throw in a Shadow of Mordor-esque nemesis system for dynamic enemy ace squadrons and I'll never play another game again.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

The scratched-out tail code is cool as hell, I wonder if at some point the protagonist goes rogue or disavows the OADF?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

I Got 8,492 Problems But My Pitch Ain't One: Let's Play Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War!

It works on multiple levels!