Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the best Ace Combat protagonist?
This poll is closed.
Cipher 79 32.24%
Phoenix 9 3.67%
Mobius 1 84 34.29%
William Bishop--lol get out 24 9.80%
SHOOT VISARI 49 20.00%
Total: 245 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Yes

YYYEEEEESSSSSSSSSSS

As Nine-Gear Crow says, this really is the one that makes it all worth it. I love this game so very, very much. While "a lone fighter pilot becomes the hero for an entire nation" trope is a well-worn article in the Ace Combat series, for my money, none of them pulled it off as well as 4; the reveal for the final mission still sends chills down my spine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

I actually kind of like that Mobius 1 is a cipher (at least in this game, I don't know what they do with him later); you can project whatever personality on him you care to, because the important thing about Mobius 1 is what he represents to others. Maybe he's a bloodthirsty maniac; maybe he's a quiet, honorable warrior; maybe he's a guy just doing a job for a paycheck - but no matter what he is, to the ISAF he becomes more important than any of that.

Hell, you never hear the guy speak; for all we know it could be a succession of pilots. He could be Zorro.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Cipher in Zero I feel does this better, mostly because you can play him as a bloodthirsty maniac, an honorable warrior or just doing a job for a paycheck, and you have characters to whom he is more important than that. You directly see how he affects their lives and how they interpret him, whereas Mobius 1's "character" is just "Good at planes".

The one thing that I'll say that Assault Horizon did well was make the main character a character. It irks me to no end that none of the Ace Combat characters interact with the player character outside of a plane other than Bishop, or that that's even implied. Genuinely could just be an AI in a plane in every game and not a real person. Hopefully AC7 will have an actual person as the main character.

See, that's actually sort of my point, though - and I suspect this is one of those things where we just like different things, not that one of us is wrong or anything - that Cipher in Zero can be played as different types of person and that adjusts the game around him, whereas Mobius 1's storyline is the same no matter what type of person you think he is. By removing that emphasis on "who the pilot is" it necessarily increases the emphasis on "what the pilot means to the people around him." There's a later mission where one of the ground forces is heard saying "Mobius One is here! We'll win!" and that, to me, has always been the aspect of the game I really dig, that Mobius 1 is more than a pilot when everything is said and done, more than a man, he's a symbol. I think it's easy to lose that sense of symbolic importance when you're surrounding it with recollections of how that person you're supposed to be seeing as a legend was actually just a man.