Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the best Ace Combat protagonist?
This poll is closed.
Cipher 79 32.24%
Phoenix 9 3.67%
Mobius 1 84 34.29%
William Bishop--lol get out 24 9.80%
SHOOT VISARI 49 20.00%
Total: 245 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

This game definitely does the one-man-army thing the best, while Ace Combat 6 is best at the "you're just part of a larger war" thing.

I like this game but I'm definitely excited for AC6. I think it gets an unfairly bad rap

The only issue with 6 was the abysmal script, and a fair chuck of that was probably the translator's fault. Gameplay wise, it was some of the best in the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Covering up the melodramatic anime stories of Ace Combat would defeat the purpose of playing Ace Combat.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

radintorov posted:

I genuinely like the Moscow helo level. :v:

Yeah, I don't really have strong opinions one way or the other about AH aside from it having the best QTE of all time and that particular level being really loving fun.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

If I remember right, none of 5's superplanes are carrier capable, you're stuck with things like the Rafale at the high end for a few missions. Which seems like a weird choice, given the occasional plot elements mentioned above.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

I mean, if you couldn't S rank Sea of Chaos in a Rafale, then it's not like the FALKEN was really going to help you.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

That F-18 had a loving railgun.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

ninjahedgehog posted:

I hope they bring back 6's semi-permanent missile trails and smoke. Dogfights in that game looked absolutely insane after a few passes.

This was the thing that struck me first about 6, actually. I knew going into it that it had a focus on mass combat and hundred plane fights and stuff, but the fact that they actually created some reasonable smoke and vapor physics surprised me and having a badass afterimage of your fight stick around for a few minutes really helped sell the scale. It was a pretty uniquely AC6 thing, too, I can't think of any other flight games that bothered with that particular bit of flair.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

I'm gay belka

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Perfect.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

VhenRa posted:

Um nine-gear crow.

That isn't the last XB-70 chronologically.

There's a couple in 6 if I remember right, but I can't think of any others.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

They're both pretty powerful but for wildly different reasons. I never knew about that particular edit so seeing that scene with such a massively different tone behind it is interesting.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

That was a hell of a final Yellow kill, at least. You can rag on the recording all you want, but that part made up for it.

I still hold to the opinion that Yellow 13 is the hardest of the Boss Aces in the franchise. It probably has something to do with most of the other examples being in ridiculous super planes with gimmicks like Knightly Jousting or literal Macross scenarios, whereas 13 is just a conventional enemy with his various parameters turned up to eleven, but none of the other showdown bosses have really compared, I feel. There's something to say for ending a storyline with a slugfest between two opponents who play by the same rules (relatively, anyway. Player SUs don't turn like that) in a franchise rife with anti-orbital super cannons and Arthurian laser planes.

Also Cipher obviously died on the way back to his home planet.

I have an actual dumb joke Cipher theory I came up with way back when I first played these games and would still do poo poo like this, but it involves spoilers for AC5 - Demon Lord of the Round Table? Demons of Razgriz? Coincidence? Hah. Cipher and Blaze are the same dude and it's not just some jackass pilot who's good at doing pilot things, this is a literal demonic reaper of Belkan souls. That's why he never fought any of the wars in between the Belkan war and the Yuke war in 5 - No Belkans to kill in those. Cipher/Blaze is simply a manifestation of the universe's contempt for Belka's cartoonishly evil ways. If only Pops knew that the being he was fixing lovely F-5s for had tried to kill him 15 years or whatever earlier.

Psycho Landlord fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jan 15, 2017

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Gross.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

No reference to Bishop's most famous QTE, 0/10.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

It is the best one so far, no doubt.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Doesn't the final yellow get a massive boost to his AI when he's the last one in the air? Or am I imagining things?

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Yeah I thought so. I dunno, that might be a pretty good case for it being 13, is what I'm getting at. Although I guess some random no-name Yellow suddenly fighting like a man possessed and then dying anonymously while his already dead squad leader is credited with his actions would be suitably tragic for Ace Combat.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

The Blurry teaser for AC5 will never not be hilarious.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Brunom1 posted:

Fixed that for you.

Fight me! :mad:

It can be both.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Since this project has started, I have been more excited for 6 than any other game in this series. The juxtaposition of awe at the cool-rear end giant missions and sheer horror at the between-mission cutscenes is going to be wonderful.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

So, AC7 on PC, and with a shitload of references to the best Macross to boot, huh?

I didn't know I was capable of making the noise I am making right now.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Thefluffy posted:

and now I have to wonder how fast a full play-though video of Ace combat 6 would be if it sped up every time someone says *REDACTED*:unsmigghh:

:staredog:

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvoaQoSeXYQ

So they're real into this new cloud system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Phy posted:

I Pulled Up Too Hard And Everything Is Blurry: Let's Play Ace Combat 5

This is really good

Zomborgon posted:

The Unsung War has a surprising amount of singing.

But so is this