Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the best Ace Combat protagonist?
This poll is closed.
Cipher 79 32.24%
Phoenix 9 3.67%
Mobius 1 84 34.29%
William Bishop--lol get out 24 9.80%
SHOOT VISARI 49 20.00%
Total: 245 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I mostly lurked during your Zero and 2/AHL LPs, but they were great and I am looking forward to seeing the rest of this series.

Shei-kun posted:

Where's the "Update PoP 2008, Crow" option?

This election is rigged :colbert:
Hell, there isn't even a Dash Rendar option. What gives?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Cythereal posted:

Well, that mission's going to be one hell of an ecological disaster for the region. I don't envy the poor bastards trying to contain this oil spill.
Pictured, every environmental group in Usea after Operation Early Bird:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Well, how do you feel about 3D and Cyborg 009?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrmbrbQ6c40

(I don't actually mind the CG, but goddamn was the rest of that a shitshow.)
009 RE:Cyborg is what happens when the people behind Ghost in the Shell's film adaptations decide to bring their flavor of philosophical naval gazing to a series that does not work with discussions about religion and faith. Forced tension to create drama doesn't help the film either, such as the nuking of Dubai being the indirect result of Joe and Jet deciding to have a dumb mid-air argument/fight with one another instead of the naturally more important issue of disarming a bomber carrying a nuclear warhead.

Although, comparing RE:Cyborg's CGI to Electrosphere's CGI is a bit unfair as you're comparing 1999's CGI capabilities to 2011's CGI capabilities. The technology has changed a lot since then.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Oh, no, it's definitely not fair, but I've heard people talk about that movie as if it had the worst art of anything ever. I dunno, I think that's really good looking personally, but I'm weird. It's not as weirdly variable in quality as the Berserk OVAs, not charmingly jank like Sidonia, and not outright terrible like Berserk 2016. Could be much worse.

Also I hope you're all ready for the biggest, baddest, most exciting blowout 20th anniversary Ace Combat special from TGS 2016, because here it is
Oh trust me, I've seen janky CGI in the past as well. RE:Cyborg is nowhere near some the worst I've seen either.

Also, calling it now, that bird is totally Ace Combat 7's protagonist. No more pilot suits filled with springs and joints like the past protagonists, now it's a tiny bird committing war crimes.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

It's nice to hear Invincible Fleet in its proper context (previously heard it in Lunethex's RE6 LP). But yeah, I can see why one would be turned off to the mission with such a giant map to cover and so many targets to hit. Like, I guess the sheer volume of targets was intended to be an early place to rake in cash to buy planes/weapons/colors as the game goes on, mostly so the player wouldn't be strapped for cash at an inopportune moment and have to engage in a dogfighting mission with an A-10 or a F-4.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Lunethex posted:

How does anyone besides me remember this usage of it?
Because I read the video description for that particular Chris campaign video.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

So basically, "Mobius 1 is secretly Guy Gardner" is what I'm getting from Crow's observations. Or at least some equivalent level of rear end in a top hat.

Although, I do have to compliment Usea for making the best out of a natural disaster and repurposing an impact crater into a solar power plant. Too bad ISAF decided that scorched Earth policy is the best form of offense for this war.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

This time, please try to not die after the stream wraps up, Crow.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Psion posted:

Alright thread, riddle me this: Why didn't they just shoot the planes down with Stonehenge?

the common theory is "didn't want to cause an international incident" and crow implied "the technicians who could actually operate it were on the planes" but I believe all of you can come up with a better argument.
I'll go with the "Erusia thought their fighter jets could easily down two civilian airplanes with no trouble at all and felt Stonehenge was simple overkill at that point." theory, aka the overconfident villain theory. Admittedly, this theory kind of loses steam when you start to believe that Erusia probably noticed Mobius 1 clowning everyone midway through the mission and yet they still don't whip out Stonehenge as a way to salvage the operation, so yeah.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I'm a bit curious of the "V" after Ace. Is that supposed to be the letter or the Roman numeral?

Or is it supposed to be "Ace Versus Combat 7" now?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

According to Kobayashi, it's a typo.

If anything though, this is encouraging that they're beginning to score the game now. Usually laying down music is one of the last things that gets done during production. ...Unless you have an insane scattershot production like Final Fantasy XIII that results in an entire album of prototype tracks that got thrown out because the game was constantly changing and the music staff had to do mad dashes to keep up with it.
To be fair, Project Aces does not seem to present the reckless arrogance Square-Enix has been known for in the past. So, hopefully they have whatever is planned for Ace Combat 7 already nailed down and almost ready to go.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I look forward to the lore post about the drug-induced planning session by Belkan scientists that led to the creation of the Assault Bird thing. Assuming that is its name and not actually revealed to be named after some weird King Arthur reference.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Something tells me that even if we completely level this Megalith complex in this game, Ace Combat 7 is going to feature either Megalith 2: Electric Boogaloo or some dumb retcon that Mobius 1 only wrecked 80% of the place, and the 20% he missed is more than enough to provoke Osea into global war.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Broken Arrow is a beautifully dumb and cheesy 90s action movie. John Travolta being hilariously over the top while Christian Slater tries to play things straight is a sight to behold.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

So, was the Ka-50 the inspiration for the stealth helicopter from Goldeneye? Because it also had an ejection system that also involved the rotor blades detaching so the cockpit could fly into the sky unimpeded.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Take out the entire Aegir Fleet with a kamikaze run.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Brunom1 posted:

Even though they're not really supposed to be there, I don't think! :stare:

Unless... are there Ulysses fragments up in orbit? Could Megalith, I dunno, be using its missiles to blast them down to Earth?
It's possible. Stonehenge was designed to blast the asteroid into smaller and more harmless pieces, so the smaller fragments could have been stuck in Earth orbit since Ulysses Day theoretically thanks to gravity and other science related reasons. The only other (and more ludicrous) scenario is that some of the missiles are duds that are loaded with large fiery rocks that are being detonated in the upper atmosphere as part of an insane last-ditch effort by the Eruseans to make sure Mobius 1 (and the entire Mobius squadron) all die horribly, either by ICBM or by falling rocks. Because if Belka was so bitter over losing that they'd nuke half their own real estate, I would not put it past Erusea to take the "Wait...hold my beer" option with their own loss.

All aside, I look forward to Ace Combat 5: Wes Scantlin's Best-Worst DUI Arrest.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Brunom1 posted:

Friend pointed out to me that the trailer's last shot is totally a Macross Plus reference.

Looking forward to YF-19 and YF-21 as secret planes!
I look forward to Totally Not Sharon Apple resurrecting a retired weapons installation and bringing it back to (nearly) full power.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Look, so long as I can continue, as crow says, "Isamu-ing" my way through the series doing dumb dodges and flying waaay to close to the ground and obstacles for anyone's comfort, I don't care what else is in the game.

Especially if I can do it in glorious face-mounted VR cockpit view.
Even if there's a difficult "willingly bash your skull on the flight console to avoid being brainwashed" QTE?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

KDavisJr posted:

Looks like I found another game to play on my X Box One along with XV2 and DOOM

Also on PC?

Oh man, gently caress Idolmaster, motherfuckers are gonna me modding skins of everything!
So, what's the estimate on how long it takes until there is a Dash Rendar mod?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

To be fair to Namco, they are starting to realize that for some of their franchises, there are indeed sizeable fanbases for them outside of Japan. Such as the two most recent Super Robot Wars games getting English releases (mostly for the southeast Asia market, mind), even if some of the translations are rough.

So they are getting slowly better. Heavy emphasis on "slowly".

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Cooked Auto posted:

Found this earlier. Also trying to find info about At Skies' Edge is kinda tricky because all google points towards is an album and self help books. :v:
Haven't even heard of it until now even.
Kind of surprised Assault Horizon Legacy didn't get its own little panel. Like so:

:byodood: Remake 2, but slap Assault Horizon's name on it.
:( But 2 has nothi--
:byodood: HERE COMES THE BOOM

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Given his arrest record, Wes Scantlin being arrested for disorderly conduct around fighter jets would not be at all surprising. A change of pace from DUIs, yes, but not too surprising.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Razgriz sounds like a suppository, honestly: Let's Play Ace Combat 5!
The Most Preachy Top Gun Simulator: Let's Play Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

NobleSixFour posted:

Wasn't there one earlier that was something like "Wes Scantlin's Best/Worst Run-ins with Law Enforcement" or something?
It was me, a bit back:

AradoBalanga posted:

All aside, I look forward to Ace Combat 5: Wes Scantlin's Best-Worst DUI Arrest.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

:getin:

But for real though, I am glad my silly post from eons ago actually got done. I figured you'd just pass over it completely due to the insanity of it all, but apparently you are crazier than I thought.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

I'm not gonna lie, a lot of the mook ships don't get "hit" because there's too many to keep track of, but I took special care with the rest of them.
Yeah, I figured you'd just limit the run to only the named vessels to save time. I look forward to the carnage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

:allears:

It's...it's beautiful. I was certain that you'd skip my dumb idea on principle, but you came through. Although, technically this video answers the question surrounding my dumb request for 5 (what triggers first: mission complete, or your death), so that can be skipped if you feel like it.