Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the best Ace Combat protagonist?
This poll is closed.
Cipher 79 32.24%
Phoenix 9 3.67%
Mobius 1 84 34.29%
William Bishop--lol get out 24 9.80%
SHOOT VISARI 49 20.00%
Total: 245 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

When I was gifted a PS2 for my birthday (forget which year, but it can't have been earlier than 2003) AC04 was one of two games that my parents got to go with it.

The other game I got was completely forgettable.

Looking forward to this!

EDIT: Also, good god, the AI is just as bad as I remember! Friendly forces will score a few kills here or there, but Mobius 1 is the ONLY COMPETENT ISAF pilot.

Inglonias fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Aug 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Psycho Landlord posted:

The only issue with 6 was the abysmal script, Shamrock, and a fair chuck of that was probably the translator's fault. Gameplay wise, it was some of the best in the series.

Fixed that for you.

(I've never actually played AC6)

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

warhammer651 posted:

Sir, your map of strangereal is out of date. Have a more accurate version.

i like your map belka

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

Another great episode as always Crow.

I will be rectifying the fact that I haven't played AC Zero yet on Tuesday, because I bought a used copy online and I have a PS2 ready to go. Part of that, I think, is on you, so well done!

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

ninjahedgehog posted:

I know it's in a different key, but come on, Crow, how do you not hear this?

Blockade (2:39):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haEoo0RHu-Q&t=159s

First Flight (0:30):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgNGtGI-XbM&t=30s

Also, the Blockade tune isn't nearly as good as Operation Bunker Shot and I will fight people about this. :colbert:

They also seem to be at different tempos, but I am not a musician.

Psion posted:

Yeah, the mission is wholly unremarkable, but Blockade isn't. 04 hasn't had a remarkable mission yet, really - partially because they're still doing tutorials and partially because 04 only has a few really good missions :ssh:

in my opinion #7 and #8 are the first two good missions, but they're really good, so it's worth it getting there

#11 is another good one if you ask me, also in part due to the soundtrack.

Inglonias fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Sep 13, 2016

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

Whoever is in charge of the base really needs to call the IT guy on the computer that runs the briefings. Its hard drive is clicking something fierce.

I've always been confused by the units on the "distance from target" display. Is it in decameters or something? Why is ~800 the limit of the range on the missiles here when ~5000 is the limit for your missiles in 5 and zero?

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

And now, please rise for how I heard that anthem for a decade before I finally bothered to look up the lyrics. *ahem*

Oh all those skies
With all those planes
Where freedom and justice prevail
With courage and strength we'll *mumble* *incomprehensible*
For *mumble mumble mumble* land!
Woo hoo!

It also never clicked with me that it was a national anthem. (Cuz they were singing about planes!)

The track that plays for this mission is always the one that sticks in my brain, and not Blockade.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

Lunethex posted:

In mission 6, at 12:53, watch the radar for one of the planes spazzing the gently caress out.

Yeah. I spent the evening playing AC04 and AC5, and that happens remarkably often in both games. I had about half a dozen instances of that and I don't have any idea what causes it.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I love the fact that this solar plant is so large and efficient that it outputs as much power as a nuclear goddamn reactor.

Last time I played this game, I just chuckled a bit.

Fun fact - First time I played this game, I didn't get an F-16 until this mission, because it never occurred to me to shoot things that weren't marked as targets. (I was playing on Easy mode)

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

sandorius posted:

Oh god, it's the ravine Stonehenge mission. It's easy enough if you use a reasonably fast plane, but one of my indelible childhood memories is slowly hauling rear end south in a freshly bought A-10 Thunderbolt, being chased by some bloody persistent fighters, and there being NO BLOODY SPACE TO DODGE THE MISSILES.

Never again. I've never used that drat plane in any of the subsequent flight sims I've ever played.

hang on, fighters chase you through the ravine?

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

The music for this mission is one of my personal favorite tracks in the game. I love this song to bits, especially the crescendo.

EDIT: You mention that the airlines cannot be shot down on lower difficulties. I remember it happening at least once, but it was many years ago.

I also think if you run out of time without destroying all targets, you fail.

Inglonias fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Nov 6, 2016

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

*clicks the like button*

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

NobleSixFour posted:

Maybe this game will finally solve the mystery of why every loving military on Strangereal broadcasts unencrypted on the same frequency

Yeah, and nobody points this out until Ace Combat 5 with someone saying "The radio is picking up the enemy's voice!"

ITS BEEN DOING THAT FOR 5+ GAMES YOU DUMMY

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

Lunethex posted:

Hopefully.

You know what, if you're in a chopper going down any chance of survival is good.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

Well done, Crow. Absolutely fantastic as always.

Can't wait for the next one!

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zxB1ahoz_M

New Ace Combat 7 trailer is out.
Also confirmed that the game isn't PS4 exclusive and is coming for XB1.
And PC. :woop:

Before I go crazy over this news, how does the PC version of that other Ace Combat game perform on PC? Will it be a worthwhile port, or should I just buy a console anyhow? (My sister wants a PS4, and they're something like $250 right now, so...)

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

I'm not gonna lie, 5 and Zero have a really weird and slightly off-putting HUD compared to the other games in the franchise. Like, honestly I think my favorite HUD style is is actually 6's, but that might change in a big hurry when I go back and actually replay 6 for the LP. 04's HUD, meanwhile, is quite unobtrusive, but the weird square font makes it a little hard to read some times.

I actually remember that on the TVs I used to play AC04, the HUD was harder to read than the HUD for AC5 (both the SD TVs I used when 4:3 aspect ratios were still popular, and the new 16:9 HDTVs) . Not sure what it was. Something about the blocky nature of the HUD font and the fact that it's color was just a little too bright against the bright blue skies that missions gave you, I had to squint in order to read a few things. It wasn't terrible and definitely did not ruin my experience, but it's just something I wanted to bring up.

EDIT: Ok, I have actually read the last sentence in the post I quoted. Turns out we agree.

Inglonias fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jan 31, 2017

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

Everyman posted:

With the scenes of prison and the mention of convicts over the radio, I can't help but wonder if the protagonist/allied squadron are conscripted convicts flying for...a reduced sentence or the like. Don't ask me how its supposed to make sense, but it sounds like exactly the kind of wacky drama an Ace Combat game would pull.

Court martialed pilots. They were drummed out years ago for insulting superior officers and stuff, but it was a lot later than it should have been because they were just so drat good at their jobs.*

*(The above is a fan theory)

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

So, our brand new PS4 shipped yesterday. My sister really likes Kingdom Hearts, and is willing to shell out a bunch of money for a PS4 to play it.

What the heck am I going to do with it until AC7 happens? I didn't even need it for AC7 due to the PC port, but now that I have it I may as well play it on the PS4. I'm a PC gamer who plays lots of strategy games and stuff!

Oh well, I guess it's a Blu-Ray player if nothing else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

Zomborgon posted:

The Last of Us and Uncharted are some pretty dang good Playstation exclusives, and the remastered versions (and UC4) are all available for PS4. That Horizon: Zero Dawn game is coming out at the end of February and looks pretty neat so far.

Not too much on the strategy end as far as I'm aware, mostly due to the input type.

I'm under no illusions that I'd be able to play strategy games on the PS4. I've owned consoles before. Typically strategy games don't work too well on them. (though that port of Command and Conquer to the N64 wasn't too bad, it's just a shame they had to axe 95% of the cutscenes to fit the game on the cartridge.)

EDIT: To clarify, any further questions about my new fancy blu ray player will go in the correct thread.

Inglonias fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Feb 2, 2017