Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the best Ace Combat protagonist?
This poll is closed.
Cipher 79 32.24%
Phoenix 9 3.67%
Mobius 1 84 34.29%
William Bishop--lol get out 24 9.80%
SHOOT VISARI 49 20.00%
Total: 245 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

This game has some of the worst missions in the entire series, but it definitely has its high points. I'm glad Infinity remixed every fight in the PS2 trio of games so they were much more interesting, especially Stonehenge and Excalibur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

I think this is the worst out of AC4/5/0/6, but it has maybe the best story out of all of them. I love the story of the kid and the Yellow squadron, and a lot of the soundtrack is some of the best in the series. There are too many missions that I didn't like, and the story and the missions were too far removed from one another. They're all fairly similar in quality though, so picking a favourite in the series is just picking a slight difference in style.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

I think Zero's was the second best, because we got to see the way Cipher's actions impacted other people and the world around him. The whole "interviewing people and following a trail of breadcrumbs to find the legendary fighter pilot" was a great way to build up a character, even more so since it's your own character. I never really got the love for Mobius 1, but Sky Eye is probably my favourite AWACS.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I actually kind of like that Mobius 1 is a cipher (at least in this game, I don't know what they do with him later); you can project whatever personality on him you care to, because the important thing about Mobius 1 is what he represents to others. Maybe he's a bloodthirsty maniac; maybe he's a quiet, honorable warrior; maybe he's a guy just doing a job for a paycheck - but no matter what he is, to the ISAF he becomes more important than any of that.

Hell, you never hear the guy speak; for all we know it could be a succession of pilots. He could be Zorro.

Cipher in Zero I feel does this better, mostly because you can play him as a bloodthirsty maniac, an honorable warrior or just doing a job for a paycheck, and you have characters to whom he is more important than that. You directly see how he affects their lives and how they interpret him, whereas Mobius 1's "character" is just "Good at planes".

The one thing that I'll say that Assault Horizon did well was make the main character a character. It irks me to no end that none of the Ace Combat characters interact with the player character outside of a plane other than Bishop, or that that's even implied. Genuinely could just be an AI in a plane in every game and not a real person. Hopefully AC7 will have an actual person as the main character.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

See, that's actually sort of my point, though - and I suspect this is one of those things where we just like different things, not that one of us is wrong or anything - that Cipher in Zero can be played as different types of person and that adjusts the game around him, whereas Mobius 1's storyline is the same no matter what type of person you think he is. By removing that emphasis on "who the pilot is" it necessarily increases the emphasis on "what the pilot means to the people around him." There's a later mission where one of the ground forces is heard saying "Mobius One is here! We'll win!" and that, to me, has always been the aspect of the game I really dig, that Mobius 1 is more than a pilot when everything is said and done, more than a man, he's a symbol. I think it's easy to lose that sense of symbolic importance when you're surrounding it with recollections of how that person you're supposed to be seeing as a legend was actually just a man.

Yeah, I guess we do like different things, though I'll be sure to keep your interpretation in mind. I saw each interview in Zero as different lenses to see Cipher through, different interpretations from different people rather than a strict adjustment from the game but rather an adjustment in Thompson's interpretation up to this point.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

ninjahedgehog posted:

Yeah, as usual Kobayashi knocked it out of the park with the soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUUchxqHIpM

EDIT: And even though I think 6 is overall prettier, AH has some of the best-looking explosions I've seen in gaming, up there with the original Mercenaries and Just Cause 3. Airplanes loving tear themselves apart in huge, greasy clouds of smoke and fire with shrapnel flying everywhere, and if you're flying too close behind them you get jet fuel splattered all over your canopy. It's great.

Dogfight mode, whilst lovely and easy in singleplayer, was a blast in multiplayer. It felt better as a game of cat and mouse than AC6's did to me since it was more easily understood which planes were better at what, and that killing someone with it looked absolutely gorgeous all while you listen to the song you just linked.

Are the AC6 servers still up? Might give that a go on the ol' Xbox.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Kadorhal posted:

Production I.G's cutscenes.

Production I.G did the cutscenes for Electrosphere? It looks much worse than literally anything else I've ever seen from them. Ghost in the Shell it certainly ain't.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Yeah, that actually looks really nice. The cityscapes not so much, but the characters look great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

frozentreasure posted:

The real concern is that Playstation VR is easily the worst of the three VR experiences.

No way. Being somebody who owns all three, I can tell you that without a shadow of a doubt it's the best headset. The tracking is mediocre, but so long as you're not using the Move controllers it's great, and that applies to Battlezone and Eve Valkyrie. VR Ace Combat will be the best thing on any VR device available and I'm sad that it's just its own special mode instead of the full campaign.