Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the best Ace Combat protagonist?
This poll is closed.
Cipher 79 32.24%
Phoenix 9 3.67%
Mobius 1 84 34.29%
William Bishop--lol get out 24 9.80%
SHOOT VISARI 49 20.00%
Total: 245 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer
So, I may not have written much in either previous thread, but I am still impressed as ever with your dedication to providing background details and insights (conjecture or otherwise) into the series as a whole. I look forward to reading more!

Also, good get on the voice actor for our narrator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer

nine-gear crow posted:

Indeed. You'll be most pleased to know that when it comes to 6, I'm actually quite an apologist for it. You're right the script is dreadful at times, but the gameplay's probably the tightest it's been since Zero and it gets awfully maligned on account of primarily its bad script.

It's gonna be interesting picking it apart for good and ill once we get to it.

Heh, I will say that while I was disappointed by the story of 6, I would agree that the gameplay is pretty great albeit probably overly-reliant on the mission structure that is also present in 04.

Though, on the subject of 6, I think it has some pretty strong antagonist characters, though coming off of Zero they had a tough example to upstage.

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer
ModeWondershot's Late-series Ace Combat Rankings:

Zero is at the top for having decent plane variety, the Ace Style system is cool, the FMV cutscenes are great, and possibly the greatest PS2-era soundtrack.
04 is second for the story and the way it is told, the mission variety, another really good OST, and being a remarkably solid game considering how early it is.
6 comes in third because the story may not be great, but some of the characters are very enjoyable and the conflict has weight, and the combat systems in general are decent.
5 is in fourth, but only barely so, because while the story is somewhat better than 6 some of the missions are absolutely terrible and the plane selection is a bit out of whack.

Not to disparage any one game in particular, though, as they are all lovely and I would absolutely recommend any of them.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

See, that's actually sort of my point, though - and I suspect this is one of those things where we just like different things, not that one of us is wrong or anything - that Cipher in Zero can be played as different types of person and that adjusts the game around him, whereas Mobius 1's storyline is the same no matter what type of person you think he is. By removing that emphasis on "who the pilot is" it necessarily increases the emphasis on "what the pilot means to the people around him." There's a later mission where one of the ground forces is heard saying "Mobius One is here! We'll win!" and that, to me, has always been the aspect of the game I really dig, that Mobius 1 is more than a pilot when everything is said and done, more than a man, he's a symbol. I think it's easy to lose that sense of symbolic importance when you're surrounding it with recollections of how that person you're supposed to be seeing as a legend was actually just a man.

I see what you are getting at, though I guess the desire to feel a bit more as though your contribution makes you stand out is part of what gave rise to the Ace Style system. At the same time, that sense of character definition would remove a bit of that mythic status ascribed to Ace Combat protagonists, hence at least a small part of the backlash against Bishop.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

The one thing that I'll say that Assault Horizon did well was make the main character a character. It irks me to no end that none of the Ace Combat characters interact with the player character outside of a plane other than Bishop, or that that's even implied. Genuinely could just be an AI in a plane in every game and not a real person. Hopefully AC7 will have an actual person as the main character.

I actually agree with this, and think that while Bishop wasn't a great character for breaking out of the Ace Combat standard, he at least had a level of professionalism that I think suits the character many of us imagine as an "Ace."

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer
Considering the differences in power at play pointed out by crow, I am actually quite impressed that the scene plays out as coherently in both versions when the narrator does/does not have his weapon. I remember being kind of shocked when I first played it and it was certainly one of my favourite parts of the story.

I'll also look forward to sharing thoughts on Pasternak when the time comes.

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer
Speaking of soundtrack, I will say that while Ace Combat 04 does have a huge variety of excellent musical tracks, the Siege of Farbanti mission track is probably my favourite.

For those listening along at home, notice how the slightly off-beat drum makes the whole tune sound different depending on whether you think of the drum beat as being on-beat and the strings off-beat, or the strings on and the drums off.

With regards to the fate of Cipher:

As a few former military personnel would, following the end of the Belkan war and his tour of active duty, Cipher found that his expertise could be put to good use in the realm of military advisory, and he became a consultant to ISAF air units in the years leading up to the Erusean invasion. As elements of his previous employment history were considered top-secret, his participation in the ISAF military apparatus was secondary and largely remained unnoticed until the release of Brett Thompson's documentary in 2005. One of his most dubious and noteworthy accomplishments in this period was the publishing of a feasibility study on the relative effectiveness of individual highly-trained and armed ace fighter pilots versus much larger combined ground and air forces. The data used for this study included records from Cipher's own experiences and recollections of flights from over a decade prior, and as such numerous elements of the study were considered suspect. However, when compared with mission reports and flight data from Mobius 1's sorties, ISAF concluded that there was some merit to the use of Cipher's research in the realm of counterinsurgency operations, as Cipher's own experiences fighting A World with No Boundaries in 1995 were somewhat parallel to the equally pressing situation of the Erusean revolt in 2006. Thus, Mobius 1 was to participate in Operation Katina to see if Cipher's theories held any merit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer
Well, I don't have any requests in particular for 04, but I will look forward to the long-awaited Ace Combat 5, which brought me to this series in the first place.

It strikes me now that I must have played this series for just over ten years now, very nearly fifteen, and I always thought myself very passionate about it. I can see now that I'm not the only one, and that it is nice to see a similar level of passion from people here that goes well beyond my own.

I'll look forward to more stories and explorations of the lore of Strangereal, and I hope everyone here enjoys seeing it as much as I do.