Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the best Ace Combat protagonist?
This poll is closed.
Cipher 79 32.24%
Phoenix 9 3.67%
Mobius 1 84 34.29%
William Bishop--lol get out 24 9.80%
SHOOT VISARI 49 20.00%
Total: 245 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
Zero is probably my favorite HUD, except for the fact that 6s has the only kill feed it's possible to understand on the fly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
Neat how they fixed Sky Eye's incorrect brevity codes in arcade mode.

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
We are living out the story of AC5 right now, and Bannon is a Belkan.

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
Besides, Bannon looks too much like he just got done loving a farm animal and/or his daughter just told him her stepdad'll be walking her down the aisle to build a superplane/hijack a spaceplane/hijack an orbital weapons platform/any other loving thing, anyhow.

Edit: Crow, I have a case of the dumbs and can't find your Steam profile (I was trying to finally friend everyone who wanted to participate in Assault Horizon)

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016

Dr. Snark posted:

I never realized how much I wanted a "3 KINDS OF ACES" mug until I saw that comic.

(Also the rest of it is pretty good I guess)

Nope, it's 3 *KIND* of aces. Presumably as per Yuri Lowenthal's strange slip of the tongue.

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
gently caress, you guys are right. But I still claim victory because the actual comic mug says "3 KIND OF ACES". edit: gently caress again

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
I was watching a video of the Ace of Aces version of 6's heavy command cruiser mission. Apparently the "extra ace squadrons" are a group of cargo and LNG ships. The cargo ships have several containers on deck which clearly bear the General Resource logo. Food for thought.

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016

thetruegentleman posted:

This actually kinda happens in Ace Combat 6, so it's actually plausible.

Umm...citation needed? Are you talking about the tank crew?

Edit: After further reflection, are you talking about how Garuda is confined to quarters prior to the start of the WMD mission? Because AFAIK that's not the sort of thing that would be that odd in the armed forces of our world today.

NobleSixFour fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Feb 2, 2017

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
I am so ready for AC5 that I've been spamming every song queue in every Twitch stream I'm in with Blurry. Those poor bastards.

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
Recording for Assault Horizon missions 1 and 2 now complete. I hope to make it at least a third of the way through the campaign by the end of the day.

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
Thanks to Son Ryo and Cooked Auto for joining me in a few missions of co-op campaign after I got done recording for the day! (And apologies to Kadorhal, whom I also invited without realizing that co-op is limited to 3 slots because Guts is apparently too much of a snowflake to ever be played by an actual human.) Anybody whom I haven't already added on Steam, feel free to do so so we can have something approaching a fully stocked Capital Conquest session at some point because that poo poo is amazing. (And I really want to unlock some more skins other than just F-15E Garuda :P)

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016

Cooked Auto posted:

Even if you had an open mic through most of that. :cheeky:

Oh god really? I need to figure out how this poo poo works then. :P

Cooked Auto posted:

Does make me kind of worried how the PC version of 7 will look like.

I see where you're coming from, but I'm heartened by the fact that they're saying it's going to be on PC this early in the process, as opposed to Assault Horizon, which wasn't even announced for PC until the first major patch for consoles (Nov of 2012) or even released until almost 18 months after consoles (late Jan 2013 vs October 2011).

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
Was it "the graphics options start and end with vsync" lackluster though?

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
My steam name is the same as on here, go ahead and add me

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016

OddHaberdasher posted:

Seeing as everyone else is talking about AH (and as someone who really had no exposure to Ace Combat before this LP series), is it worth getting AH just as a taste of Ace Combat before AC7 comes out whenever? Or should I just stick to trying to find an emulator of the 'Golden Trilogy'?

lole

Honestly, you are better off making paper airplanes and dorky sound effects with your mouth than taking Assault Horizon as any kind of barometer of the rest of the franchise. I assume you would be getting it on PC, but in case you mean 360, AC6 is out for that as well and is far more indicative.

Also, I've sort of hit a snag with recording in Assault Horizon. Turns out the sound Fraps was recording was intended for my laptop speakers, which means there is NO bass. So I figure I have one of several options going forward.
-Keep the bassless recordings (up through the Dubai mission) and just record the rest with headphones or speakers plugged in
-Redo the lot, with headphones or speakers plugged in
-Redo the lot but on 360, where I don't have the IMAS skins but I do have all the Color 3 and some of the special skins unlocked as well as most of the rest of the DLC
-Some combination of the above
What do people prefer?

NobleSixFour fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Feb 7, 2017

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
Huh. Maybe it being multiplayer made it worse somehow?

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
Speaking of Dubai, something funny happened when you, Son Ryo and I were playing it. I was in DFM behind one of the named aces, when he countered, and I countered the counter, so it zoomed in on my machine gun like it does. Then mid-maneuver one of you blew up the ace and I was stuck in machine gun camera for the entire rest of the mission. xP

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
I still have flashbacks to a multiplayer match on that map where one of my opponents literally just lured you into DFM then would fly a specific track between two buildings that would cause the pursuer to crash into the ground between them EVERY. TIME. Unfortunately this was at the point in the game's life when there was only one or two servers running at once so I had to put up with it if I wanted to play.

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
Holy crap you must have the patience of a saint Kadorhal

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
By the way, recording is temporarily paused because of the double XP event in Rainbow 6 Siege but it should be back soon.

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
Might want to put #4 behind spoiler tags. Also Albert Genette and Brett Thompson are different people

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016

thetruegentleman posted:

They have the same English voice actor, so I'm not letting them off. Besides, Brett Thompson is a bum.

I did not know they were the same. The characters have such different voices! But then I guess that's the reason for a good VA. I have some great fan theories about why Genette's voice/character completely changed for ACX, but we'll get there when we get there.

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
Well obviously but who has time for the boring practical explanations? I'm thinking more like he got accused of leaking classified stuff and had to go undercover for a while or same thing, but for Brett Thompson and he killed Genette and assumed his identity

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
I've now finished recording for all but the final stretch of Assault Horizon. I'm especially hyped to show off a piece of loving crazy flying I did in the Black Sea mission.

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
Bad news, guys, Fraps REALLY doesn't seem to like the Moscow missions, so I'm going to have to finally set up my capture card and switch to the Xbox for the remainder of the LP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
Wasn't there one earlier that was something like "Wes Scantlin's Best/Worst Run-ins with Law Enforcement" or something?