Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

N. Senada posted:

How do you decide what the little symbol by your name is going to be? A bird for LAB makes sense, yours is like the old stars; does everybody just pick their own, does somebody in particular make them?

E. Also, I stand by desire to see you react to some insane stuff happening in a thread.

Lord of the Flies reference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Unreal Tournament is one of my favorite games of all time. Every now and then I'll play a few rounds of Instagib CTF-Coret and it's as great as it was in 1999.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Is there anyone else between the administrator level and Lowtax? Do the admins (or hell, the mods) even interact with him even on occasion?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

Is there anyone else between the administrator level and Lowtax? Do the admins (or hell, the mods) even interact with him even on occasion?
We talk to Lowtax pretty often, especially ZDR, but he doesn't really do much with the forums anymore in terms of administration or posting. It's not a big focus for him, although I know he reads some stuff.

He also might do more with the front page. I have no idea how any of that happens.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Shine posted:

Unreal Tournament is one of my favorite games of all time. Every now and then I'll play a few rounds of Instagib CTF-Coret and it's as great as it was in 1999.

How'd you get yours to be red? Asking for a friend...

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

N. Senada posted:

How'd you get yours to be red? Asking for a friend...

I found an svg file of the UT logo and used some free editor to color it red.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

FactsAreUseless posted:

People mostly picked their own. I want to color mine red but it's not like a normal image it's some sort of weird CSS thing or something. I'd like to credit the mod who was making them but I forget who it was, so hopefully they come take credit.

It was CrazyLittle who made all the custom mod stars.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

GonSmithe posted:

Then they should get tons of credit for making awesome mod stars!

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I try to clamp down on it when I see it, either in threads or reported. It comes up less often than you'd think, given that my subforum (CSPAM) is devoted to howling about politics like an escaped mental patient.

It's more about gbs. I know I still don't like to go there because for a while, it seemed like it was trending upwards.

Then again, I try to just outright avoid racial threads on SA for various reasons.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Dawnfire posted:

Can you tell us about some of those doozies? You've got me generally curious how bad some of them get.
I could, probably, but they're rarely interesting in a way that merits getting discussed after the fact. Typically it's just someone being misunderstood, or miscommunicating their point, and you have to talk to a bunch of people to get to the bottom of what's really going on, or it turns out an argument consumed the thread and you have to puzzle out who the guiltier parties are - which of course can lead people to assume you're favoring the one side over the other depending on who or how many get slapped, so I try to be clear about smacking people for pouring oil on the fire rather than whatever brand of oil they favor.

Once in a blue moon a thread you weren't paying close enough attention to will burst into flames, and of course you've gotta put it out.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

blackguy32 posted:

It's more about gbs. I know I still don't like to go there because for a while, it seemed like it was trending upwards.

Then again, I try to just outright avoid racial threads on SA for various reasons.

gbs is pretty greasy right now for one reason or another but it goes through phases.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease
What happened to XyloJW? I noticed a while back that he's not a admin or mod any more, and hasn't posted in a while. Which is a bit disappointing, he was one of my favorites, mainly because I remember him from the politoons threads in D&D a couple years ago.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Eh! Frank posted:

What happened to XyloJW? I noticed a while back that he's not a admin or mod any more, and hasn't posted in a while. Which is a bit disappointing, he was one of my favorites, mainly because I remember him from the politoons threads in D&D a couple years ago.
He just sort of stopped posting and doing stuff, I think? I don't recall for sure, but I don't think there was a definite time when he was just like "I'm stepping down," I think he just sort of faded away. If I'm mis-remembering, someone tell me.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Yeah, he just stopped posting and he got de-admin 'do. I also miss him, he was cool.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

GonSmithe posted:

Yeah, he just stopped posting
A lot of mods seem to go out this way.

Incomplete Fish
Apr 22, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Who has the longest mod note? Can you post it?

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

N. Senada posted:

How did you become a mod? Like, is it just someone messages you and asks if you're up for it?

The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by Divine Providence that I, Genesplicer, was to Mod General Bullshit.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

hey gene I've heard somewhere before (probably from something you posted somewhere) that you don't really go poking around in threads looking for trouble and you mostly respond to reports. do you ever just gas horrible threads because you've noticed them being terrible or do you wait for a critical mass of reports to come your way before stepping in?

e: same question for any mod I guess. I know fluffie actively checks around BYOB and gasses stale or bad threads but it's not as fast moving as say GBS or Games

It depends. I still go through GBS, reading threads that interest me. On occasion, I'll notice a thread title that seems a bit dodgy and I'll investigate. But about 95% of the actions I take come from reports. Some threads I gas simply because it is obvious that it is heading toward - already arrived in hell. Some times I log on, check the reports and see that a particular thread has lots of complaints. If the reports are all about 1 person, I'll just hit that person. But if it is several people in the same thread, I may just gas the whole thing. Usually, in those circumstances, the multiple complaints indicate that the thread is dying and needs to be put out of my misery.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Eh! Frank posted:

He had a kid and started posting less. I hope he returns one day, he's a really good guy!

GonSmithe posted:

I already had an svg of the hammer and sickle saved, thanks very much :colbert:

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
Do the current mods have a vendetta against me like the old ones. One major thing I've noticed about the old mods that didn't work with the tbp brand was that they were eventually found out to be outrageously gay and hosed up in some sense. Additionally bring back the soccer balls next to our names.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
Tough on tbp, tough on the causes of tbp

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Favored Enemy (tbp)

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Textured Bitchtable Protein

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

tbp posted:

Do the current mods have a vendetta against me like the old ones. One major thing I've noticed about the old mods that didn't work with the tbp brand was that they were eventually found out to be outrageously gay and hosed up in some sense. Additionally bring back the soccer balls next to our names.

I didn't until I read this post

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

Textured Bitchtable Protein

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

GonSmithe posted:

I didn't until I read this post

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

FactsAreUseless posted:

Depends on the mod and the forum, I think. Games is pretty apolitical (deliberately, we discourage it), so a lot of the usual racism of whining about welfare queens or immigration or whatever you just don't see. Outright slurs and stuff seem pretty confined to GBS. You can usually tell when a poster is being ironic just by knowing who's who on the forums, although depending on the poster they might get hit for trolling or similar.

Edit: I disagree strongly that it's the culture of SA, though. Most forums don't see any kind of racism, ironic or otherwise. Sometimes you see ironic racism in FYAD, but that's FYAD being self-referential about ironic racism in FYAD. It's gotten really bad in GBS, which is why the mods there have been cracking down. I think sometimes people think of SA as the place for anything-goes trolling arts, but it really hasn't been that way in a long time. You don't see the "This is Something Awful, not Something Sensitive!" people much anymore.

Self-referential ironic racism is just racism.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Things are more focused on users than posts now, at least from my perspective. Some rules are just gone - strict punctuation rules, derailing, low content for the most part - in favor of targeting posts and posters that are disruptive rather than just low-effort. For the most part, this means funny posters don't get probated because they want a no-caps posting style, but it depends a lot on the forum. Reports are useful, but I encourage people to PM me if they're seeing, say, an entire thread that needs more mod attention. Reports aren't always great for that sort of thing. But even though a lot of reports aren't actionable, it still helps to get a sense for who gets reported a lot, and why, and spikes in reporting can tell mods a lot about what's up in a thread they might not read.

This is a really good thing imo. Most of the bad posters eg. in GBS can usually avoid posting probationable words, but can still be toxic.

Which forums have IKs, and are you mods happy with your IKs? Do they help your work, or are they around just for fun? I think that GBS could be improved by IKs. What do admins and GBS mod think about it?

FluffieDuckie
May 11, 2005

we have 2 rotating iks in byob. they're mostly for fun but they're also good for keeping an eye on things. i wouldn't enjoy my job as much if i didn't have some help, and i think it's healthy for new people to get a chance to color things their own way.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

N. Senada posted:

How do you decide what the little symbol by your name is going to be? A bird for LAB makes sense, yours is like the old stars; does everybody just pick their own, does somebody in particular make them?

E. Also, I stand by desire to see you react to some insane stuff happening in a thread.

Mine got assigned to me when I was still just an IK (I think it happened when we changed from being an RSF, and was topical since melting down over politics is sorta our thing), but it's pretty neat so I've seen no need to change it.

Hogge Wild posted:

Which forums have IKs, and are you mods happy with your IKs? Do they help your work, or are they around just for fun? I think that GBS could be improved by IKs. What do admins and GBS mod think about it?

FYAD, BYOB, and CSPAM. I was one prior to getting promoted and I've generally liked the others I worked with. They usually help keep threads from getting too out of control when either I or Shen-ji aren't paying attention, which is nice.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

genesplicer posted:

It depends. I still go through GBS, reading threads that interest me. On occasion, I'll notice a thread title that seems a bit dodgy and I'll investigate. But about 95% of the actions I take come from reports. Some threads I gas simply because it is obvious that it is heading toward - already arrived in hell. Some times I log on, check the reports and see that a particular thread has lots of complaints. If the reports are all about 1 person, I'll just hit that person. But if it is several people in the same thread, I may just gas the whole thing. Usually, in those circumstances, the multiple complaints indicate that the thread is dying and needs to be put out of my misery.

why do you favor gassing threads over punishing posters?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Hogge Wild posted:

Obviously it's up to Smythe and the GBS mods, but I'm not sure IKs would do much. IKs can only give out six-hour probations, and sixers are more useful in smaller, slower-moving forums where you can more easily say "this individual post is bad." In faster-moving forums like GBS or Games, most of the probations are longer ones that are usually because a poster is a problem rather than an individual post. But other mods/admins might have a different perspective.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

FactsAreUseless posted:

Obviously it's up to Smythe and the GBS mods, but I'm not sure IKs would do much. IKs can only give out six-hour probations, and sixers are more useful in smaller, slower-moving forums where you can more easily say "this individual post is bad." In faster-moving forums like GBS or Games, most of the probations are longer ones that are usually because a poster is a problem rather than an individual post. But other mods/admins might have a different perspective.

Can't the IKs request for longer ones? What are all the differences between mods and Iks?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Hogge Wild posted:

Can't the IKs request for longer ones? What are all the differences between mods and Iks?
IKs won't get anything longer than a 6hr approved, they can't see the mod forum but can see the modqueue. There might be other stuff but I think that's it. IKs also usually rotate on a schedule (FYAD) or aren't IKs for very long.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Do you find yourselves seeing more, less, or roughly similar amounts of reports and other crap from FYAD and the FYAD-lites than other forums? For the most part their posting culture completely baffles me so I have no real idea what flies and what doesn't.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

Do you find yourselves seeing more, less, or roughly similar amounts of reports and other crap from FYAD and the FYAD-lites than other forums? For the most part their posting culture completely baffles me so I have no real idea what flies and what doesn't.
FYAD-lites get way fewer reports (basically zero outside C-SPAM, but C-SPAM's not really a FYAD lite), but this makes sense for a couple reasons. First, it's cultural: people are discouraged from using the Report button. Second, they're just way smaller - if you have an issue with a poster you're more likely to just call them out or PM a mod/IK directly. Also usually poo poo just gets taken care of before reporting becomes necessary.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Hogge Wild posted:

IKs generally rule whereas mods are more of a mixed bag

E: looking at you here fluffie

FluffieDuckie
May 11, 2005

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

IKs generally rule whereas mods are more of a mixed bag

E: looking at you here fluffie

did you just call me a mixed bag?

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

FluffieDuckie posted:

did you just call me a mixed bag?

no in this metaphor you're in the bag and

*leaps out of thread through the window*

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

FactsAreUseless posted:

IKs can only give out six-hour probations, and sixers are more useful in smaller, slower-moving forums where you can more easily say "this individual post is bad." In faster-moving forums like GBS or Games, most of the probations are longer ones that are usually because a poster is a problem rather than an individual post. But other mods/admins might have a different perspective.

Hi, I'm a different perspective. PYF has two mods and an IK (hi cash crab) because it's fast-moving and opinionated. Having an IK lets us try to be proactive instead of reactive, because while the sub doesn't really necessitate a third full-blown mod, it's helpful to have an extra person that can spot trouble in the making and reroute a conversation or ding a problem poster before things get out of hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

A lot of mods seem to go out this way.

Speaking of which, any interesting changes to the mod/admin world since I disappeared?

• Locked thread