Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Lowtax got an angry email from Google about inappropriate content in the Imp Zone Doom thread because someone posted a sprite of a sexy Cacodemon or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Lowtax got an angry email from Google about inappropriate content in the Imp Zone Doom thread because someone posted a sprite of a sexy Cacodemon or something
lmao. Plus I hear they weren't happy about some stuff Bowser was saying.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the answers to my question...

Sidenote, does this dying forum not make enough money from the LP and Scam Citizen subforums to tell advertisers to shove it?

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Why are Tramadol Junkie and Vile not permabanned? All they ever seem to do is post the most outrageously racist things they can think of, get banned, rereg, and do it all over again.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Woolie Wool posted:

Why are Tramadol Junkie and Vile not permabanned? All they ever seem to do is post the most outrageously racist things they can think of, get banned, rereg, and do it all over again.

Revenue stream. And the reactions to TJ are funny. Thats my guess anyway.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Woolie Wool posted:

Tramadol Junkie was recently permabanned. And the forums would improve if you were also.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Skoll posted:

Why did you guys accept being mods/admins, and are there any inherent perks of being a mod / former mod or admin besides the forum cop powers?

E/N was like 50% dumb joke threads when I became mod and the GBS mods were way too busy with their own forum to babysit it. I genuinely like reading E/N so it made sense to try to make it less unreadable.

And my husband, who's been on here wayyy longer than me, thought it would be funny. I think he thought I'd learn interesting forums gossip from the mod forums. He was wrong.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

defectivemonkey posted:

E/N was like 50% dumb joke threads when I became mod and the GBS mods were way too busy with their own forum to babysit it. I genuinely like reading E/N so it made sense to try to make it less unreadable.

And my husband, who's been on here wayyy longer than me, thought it would be funny. I think he thought I'd learn interesting forums gossip from the mod forums. He was wrong.

And that's why your modstar is a tragedy/tragedy mask pair.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

FactsAreUseless posted:

I don't remember this.

I could have sworn there was a GBS thread where Lowtax re-named everyone to a numerical Hot Dog Day. I am certain that some of the usernames have remained unchanged since then.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Yeah but that was like over 10 years ago.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=915

FluffieDuckie
May 11, 2005

Skoll posted:

Why did you guys accept being mods/admins, and are there any inherent perks of being a mod / former mod or admin besides the forum cop powers?

I took it because Byob was kind of in a crisis and I thought I could save it and make it something people could enjoy

The biggest unexpected perk for me has been getting to know the rest of the mod team who are really neat people

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

FluffieDuckie posted:

I took it because Byob was kind of in a crisis and I thought I could save it and make it something people could enjoy

The biggest unexpected perk for me has been getting to know the rest of the mod team who are really neat people

:yeah:

Though it's definitely a little awkward when someone like gnarly is slowly descending into madness and you kinda just have to go "uuuuuhhhh yeah okay dude I dunno..."

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

what the

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

:stare:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

That's a lot of loving hot dogs!

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

You came in THAT thing? You're braver than I thought.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Holy poo poo!
E: I am also rather impressed with how many people still have their hot dog day number names in that thread.

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006

defectivemonkey posted:

This is one of my favorite E/N threads. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3722319 I keep it in my control panel just to see if there will ever be an update.

Being a mod must mean you see the absolute worst and best threads because of your position so can all of you guys and gals post your most favorite/hated threads?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

FalloutGod posted:

Being a mod must mean you see the absolute worst and best posters because of your position so can all of you guys and gals post your most favorite/hated posters?
fixed that for you

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Skoll posted:

I accepted because I like posting on the forums, and being able to change thread titles

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Skoll posted:

I accepted because I really enjoy video games and talking about them. I have seen Games throughout the years and Kewpuh (who asked me to mod) was genuinely one of the best Games mods we've ever had. His approach has helped make Games full of the kind of discussion I enjoy reading about. I wanted to keep that spirit going.

I'm exceptionally pleased with the state of Games!

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

FalloutGod posted:

This is one of my favorite E/N threads. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3722319 I keep it in my control panel just to see if there will ever be an update.

Being a mod must mean you see the absolute worst and best threads because of your position so can all of you guys and gals post your most favorite/hated threads?

Fun fact: The other night I was messing with my YNAB and showed my husband the budget. I have a baby category (I'm pregnant) and he re-labeled it to Baby/Star Wars.

I hope Baby Anakin is still with us.

Here is a recent thread that I really, really like: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3787187.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

defectivemonkey posted:

Fun fact: The other night I was messing with my YNAB and showed my husband the budget. I have a baby category (I'm pregnant) and he re-labeled it to Baby/Star Wars.

I hope Baby Anakin is still with us.

Here is a recent thread that I really, really like: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3787187.

But is there a space on your budget for froofy sandwiches? This is important.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I know that i'm really rolling the dice with this question, but here goes.

What does it look like to a poster when they login to find they're probated/banned/perma'd ?

Do bans and permas still see the clown balloon?

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
Is there a plan in place for when 11 year probations start expiring? Will those people be allowed back if they decide to start posting again?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

FactsAreUseless posted:

He likes to put in month probations for people who make fun of him.

LOL!! yeah, that's bullshit.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
Get em derek

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

TTerrible posted:

I know that i'm really rolling the dice with this question, but here goes.

What does it look like to a poster when they login to find they're probated/banned/perma'd ?

Do bans and permas still see the clown balloon?

Hogge Wild fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Sep 9, 2016

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Instant Sunrise posted:

Is there a plan in place for when 11 year probations start expiring? Will those people be allowed back if they decide to start posting again?

this guy has only 25 days left anymore:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1552163&pagenumber=2&perpage=40#post299214930

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Thanks for the glimpse into your rap sheet photo album. :3:

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

TTerrible posted:

Thanks for the glimpse into your rap sheet photo album. :3:

hah, thanks!

that first banned pic isn't mine, it's older. maybe some oldtimer could identify it?

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

The current banned screen is a kid being slammed in a window. No idea where it's from, though

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

thecluckmeme posted:

The current banned screen is a kid being slammed in a window. No idea where it's from, though

isn't that just the video you see if you're logging in and failing?

and it's from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Boogeyman_(1980_film)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NoSZagUgDg&t=2754s

Hogge Wild fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Sep 10, 2016

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

I totally forgot about the days when these forums would peak at 7-9k people. :rip:

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc
Speaking of which, was there any particular event that caused the dip in userbase, or was it just a gradual and natural thing?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

rear end posted:

Speaking of which, was there any particular event that caused the dip in userbase, or was it just a gradual and natural thing?

someone posted some graphs last year iirc, and after :filez: ended, there have been fewer new regs every year

so the forums have been dying for 10-12 years

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Skoll posted:

At the time, simply because I was asked. They needed somebody and I was there. ADTRW was in the middle of some interesting growing pains then (and still is really), so I thought maybe I could be the one to help it come out the other side.

In retrospect I probably should've been more cognizant of the headaches and frustrations involved, so it's been a bit of a learning experience.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

FactsAreUseless posted:

I really like these forums a lot. Mods also get free plat, can give out free titles, etc., but I just did it because I like SA. The biggest benefit to being an admin isn't the admin powers, it's being able to help direct stuff and guide things on the forums by talking to mods and posters and etc. Hence why I made this thread and have taken on QCS stuff.

You missed one: abusing your powers

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Skoll posted:

Because I really like Trad Games, and now I can rename all its threads whenever I want :buddy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

FactsAreUseless posted:

I really like these forums a lot. Mods also get free plat, can give out free titles, etc., but I just did it because I like SA. The biggest benefit to being an admin isn't the admin powers, it's being able to help direct stuff and guide things on the forums by talking to mods and posters and etc. Hence why I made this thread and have taken on QCS stuff.

I got some mega douche chills reading this just FYI

• Locked thread