Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Fudge posted:

I got some mega douche chills reading this just FYI

Strange, that's what I got reading your post.

...anyway, this is an older topic, but what powers and responsibilities did Moperator Pork Lift have?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

D_Smart posted:

You missed one: abusing your powers

:rolleyes:

yes derek tell us all about how ethics drive your moderation style

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

D_Smart posted:

FAU about to get FASued.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Fudge posted:

I'm gonna do a turd on you

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Skoll posted:

Why did you guys accept being mods/admins, and are there any inherent perks of being a mod / former mod or admin besides the forum cop powers?

I was just coming off a bunch of discussions I felt could benefit from moderation focused more on posting style than on the perceived views of the posters, and was happy to try and give that a shot as a moderator. I agree with others before me that the rest of the mod/admin team is a huge perk, and I also really like being able to facilitate fun forums events that people come up with.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Fudge posted:

Turn your heater on.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Who's the longest-registered poster with a completely clean rap sheet?

Corollary: what's the shortest ever time between a new registration and that user's ban?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

ninjahedgehog posted:

Corollary: what's the shortest ever time between a new registration and that user's ban?

Dunno about the former, but plenty of people over the years have been banned for their first post because it was a shill, really gross, or just dumb as gently caress. Then of course there are crazy rereg spammers who seldom make it long before they're banned again.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Shine posted:

Dunno about the former, but plenty of people over the years have been banned for their first post because it was a shill, really gross, or just dumb as gently caress. Then of course there are crazy rereg spammers who seldom make it long before they're banned again.

Don't forget those who register and then immediately post an autoban thread. One of them probably holds the record.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

ninjahedgehog posted:

Well there's this guy, which is as far back as I was willing to dig before getting bored
http://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=21107

Nyc_Tattoo
Feb 28, 2001

Tread Carefully,
lest thou rouse the
Coupons Dragon
Grimey Drawer

CrazyLittle posted:

Well there's this guy, which is as far back as I was willing to dig before getting bored
http://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=21107

Last post by him is 7 years and one day ago. Hell, even I have him beat by 3 months and a few thousand posts.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
delete gbs

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

do you need a college degree to be mod

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Nyc_Tattoo posted:

Last post by him is 7 years and one day ago. Hell, even I have him beat by 3 months and a few thousand posts.

This guy has you beat by a few days ;)
http://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=18664

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

D_Smart posted:

More like Derek fart

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

ninjahedgehog posted:

there was a guy who was a member for like ten years without a single probie who proceeded to have a crazy meltdown and post in a "post here to be banned" thread because, uh, he discovered that some people like Cormac McCarthy

wyntyr
Mar 27, 2006

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

there was a guy who was a member for like ten years without a single probie who proceeded to have a crazy meltdown and post in a "post here to be banned" thread because, uh, he discovered that some people like Cormac McCarthy

That owns super hard, got a link to that?

Honestly everyone jokes about our dead gay forums but I think the moderation is better now than it has been roughly ever. I think I originally signed up in 2001 with an account whose details are long since gone from my ancient and withered mind, but I know I stayed away from posting for a few years because I felt like the place wasn't for me any more. I can say confidently that I feel like that's changed, and it may be partially because the user base is smaller now, but it's also because of good moderation.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

wyntyr posted:

That owns super hard, got a link to that?

Honestly everyone jokes about our dead gay forums but I think the moderation is better now than it has been roughly ever. I think I originally signed up in 2001 with an account whose details are long since gone from my ancient and withered mind, but I know I stayed away from posting for a few years because I felt like the place wasn't for me any more. I can say confidently that I feel like that's changed, and it may be partially because the user base is smaller now, but it's also because of good moderation.

TNG, starts about halfway down this page https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3643994&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=100

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

ninjahedgehog posted:

My probation was bull poo poo! I didn't even know what a rivals pun was. Bungles was a legit main stream name for them. God dammit if I could take that post back. :smith:

Edit:

It was already posted but since someone asked (and I have this jpg that I never get to share), here's what my ban looked like:

Firefox circa 2007.

Edit 2:

Do you guys get to see the edit history of a post? If you do:
Is it every single version, or just the OP and most recent?
Are there a lot of people that edit their posts 900 times trying to get the formatting, spelling, etc, perfect?

itskage fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Sep 12, 2016

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

itskage posted:

Do you guys get to see the edit history of a post?
No.

itskage posted:

Are there a lot of people that edit their posts 900 times trying to get the formatting, spelling, etc, perfect?
Yeah, me.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Sep 12, 2016

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Julias posted:

Strange, that's what I got reading your post.

...anyway, this is an older topic, but what powers and responsibilities did Moperator Pork Lift have?

He was IK of some closed subforum so his completely informal powers were to roam the forums and hand out the occasional 6h probation to anyone he saw make an especially bad or dumb post. I adored this idea but someone complained about it right on the heels of, iirc, the old ads guy going insane and probating a bunch of people in the soccer forum for no reason, and an FYAD IK using the same trick to probate someone in another forum. So it was probably hard to justify in light of that.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ralp posted:

He was IK of some closed subforum so his completely informal powers were to roam the forums and hand out the occasional 6h probation to anyone he saw make an especially bad or dumb post. I adored this idea but someone complained about it right on the heels of, iirc, the old ads guy going insane and probating a bunch of people in the soccer forum for no reason, and an FYAD IK using the same trick to probate someone in another forum. So it was probably hard to justify in light of that.
Now we have six admins to do this same thing.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I have to admit, I find the wandering IK idea appealing. If it's the right sort of person, with the right sword of Damocles hanging over their head, the result could be great.

I'd suggest fishmech, and the threat of bringing back the hellban specifically for him.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Discendo Vox posted:

the threat of bringing back the hellban specifically for him.
The entire point of a hellban is not telling the person they've been hellbanned and hoping they don't notice.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

fishmech's got so many parachutes that a hellban wouldn't matter anyway.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Alereon posted:

The entire point of a hellban is not telling the person they've been hellbanned and hoping they don't notice.

I think with fishmech, you could tell him and he still wouldn't notice. The parachutes thing puts paid to it, though- nuts.

edit: Maybe...maybe we're all just fishmech parachute accounts. Makes you think...

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

I think with fishmech, you could tell him and he still wouldn't notice. The parachutes thing puts paid to it, though- nuts.

edit: Maybe...maybe we're all just fishmech parachute accounts. Makes you think...

All of SA is actually just fishmech saying WELL ACTUALLY to himself, you have discovered our terrible secret.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub
Not really a question, but this seems like about the only fitting thread to say that the modding/administration has me afraid to post on pretty much any non-serious sub-forum, except maybe BYOB for actually being an island of chill.

My question is as a second-class citizen non-plat is there any way to report really hosed up and illegal posts? I recall reading in the rules thread for some forum that admins and maybe mods have SA emails but that's as far as I got.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Lacedaemonius posted:

Not really a question, but this seems like about the only fitting thread to say that the modding/administration has me afraid to post on pretty much any non-serious sub-forum, except maybe BYOB for actually being an island of chill.

My question is as a second-class citizen non-plat is there any way to report really hosed up and illegal posts? I recall reading in the rules thread for some forum that admins and maybe mods have SA emails but that's as far as I got.

There's an up-to-date list of admins, mods, and contacts where available. You are absolutely encouraged to report anything illegal.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

How do I troll to the point where I get a lolitar? FM is truly an inspiration to all goons/

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Shbobdb posted:

How do I troll to the point where I get a lolitar? FM is truly an inspiration to all goons/

Lady Mormont is the antithesis of loli, scrub.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Skoll posted:

Lady Mormont is the antithesis of loli, scrub.

Trap *SPRUNG!*

*BOiOiOiOiOi IoIoIoIoIo ng*

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
who is the hairest mod

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Discendo Vox posted:

I have to admit, I find the wandering IK idea appealing.

It was only a good idea in the particular mod environment at the time. There was a period years ago when moderation of some subforums seemed out of step with the forums as a whole, or even inconsistent among mods within the same forum. This is the environment where Hondarider123 thought it was a good idea for a moderator to tell heroin addicts to avoid rehab and start taking heroin, or for Paulie I think? to run the low-carb thread the way we all remember now. Those are a couple of extreme examples, and there were good mods and good subforums too of course, but in general it was all a bit disjointed. So, having one IK who roamed around was sort of a (small) unifying measure, but not a real solution.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Avshalom posted:

who is the hairest mod
Smythe seems incredibly hairy imo

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

Looking at the leper's colony brings dozens of "Dare", who the gently caress is he, why was he permaed originally and possibly beats Jon Pop in rereg dollars?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

stringball posted:

Looking at the leper's colony brings dozens of "Dare", who the gently caress is he, why was he permaed originally and possibly beats Jon Pop in rereg dollars?
He's a completely insane Canadian who is convinced that FYAD are actually all a group of Canadian Tribes players he knows in person (or claims to know) who he has personal issues with. So he shows up sometimes to air a bunch of schizophrenic grievances and then gets banned. For a while he was doing some sort of chargeback scam, so it's hard to say how much he's actually spent.

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

Did anything ever pass the reverse gas chamber challenge?

Why did everyone hate Abe so much towards the end? Not disputing it I just don't know what he did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

RNG posted:

Did anything ever pass the reverse gas chamber challenge?

Why did everyone hate Abe so much towards the end? Not disputing it I just don't know what he did.
I have no idea, I don't think anyone ever tried it. Also Abe got into a Twitter fight with a child.

• Locked thread