Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RNG posted:

Did anything ever pass the reverse gas chamber challenge?

There were at least a dozen winners, sometimes I posted congrats in the thread after two days were up but it wasn't a big announcement because it's a pretty boring event. The "prize" is just... not being banned?

There were almost as many entries disqualified, usually because the thread had been archived while in the gas chamber and couldn't be moved out of it.

Not a single thread ever lost and no one was ever banned. The closest thing to a loss was one time someone wanted to enter with a thread I had just gassed, and he or she wanted to ungas it to QCS which only I moderated at the time, so I just said no I'm not going to let you enter because I would immediately gas it again and you would lose, so please just stay unbanned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Are the games moderators just seeing a large amount of posts telling other posters to kill themselves? Its a pretty horrible thing to say to someone else and I know it was growing into a meme, but it stands out to me as one of the few things that is outright probatable in the games forum.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

blackguy32 posted:

Are the games moderators just seeing a large amount of posts telling other posters to kill themselves? Its a pretty horrible thing to say to someone else and I know it was growing into a meme, but it stands out to me as one of the few things that is outright probatable in the games forum.

When I put it down as a rule all those posts ago it was because I was seeing it a lot. I think as a post its kind of pathetic. If you want to put someone down then at least be clever with what you say. Or funny.

Recently it has been cropping up again. I'm not sure why but I think if you are getting angry about a game to the point where you feel someone should die then you've probably lost whatever argument or high ground you originally had.

I know sometimes SA gets accused of being social justicey but in this case I find the potential problems it could cause to be something I disagree with.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

VideoGames posted:

When I put it down as a rule all those posts ago it was because I was seeing it a lot. I think as a post its kind of pathetic. If you want to put someone down then at least be clever with what you say. Or funny.

Recently it has been cropping up again. I'm not sure why but I think if you are getting angry about a game to the point where you feel someone should die then you've probably lost whatever argument or high ground you originally had.

I know sometimes SA gets accused of being social justicey but in this case I find the potential problems it could cause to be something I disagree with.

Yeah I agree. But I think the social justicey nature of Something Awful is one of the reasons why I like SA games. It sure as hell beats the SJW witch hunts of other forums if you even dare to bring up certain subjects.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
Who has brought more money into the forums at this point, Matt Damon, kyoon, or IWC?

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Instant Sunrise posted:

Who has brought more money into the forums at this point, Matt Damon, kyoon, or IWC?

Probably that SC pedo Seraph. Dude has to have dropped a few hundred easy.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
speaking of kyoon, do the mods/admins know anything about kyoon that isn't common knowledge? to most goons he is a mysterious saintly figure that appears every so often and then flits away without leaving any traces, like a schizophrenic butterfly, and he may exist irl or he may just be a malfunctioning bot

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Skoll posted:

Probably that SC pedo Seraph. Dude has to have dropped a few hundred easy.

Seraph is probably one of the few big spenders that doesn't charge poo poo back.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

FactsAreUseless posted:

He's a completely insane Canadian who is convinced that FYAD are actually all a group of Canadian Tribes players he knows in person (or claims to know) who he has personal issues with. So he shows up sometimes to air a bunch of schizophrenic grievances and then gets banned. For a while he was doing some sort of chargeback scam, so it's hard to say how much he's actually spent.

Tell me more about the chargeback scam. How does that work?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Shbobdb posted:

Tell me more about the chargeback scam. How does that work?
IDK, he was just doing some weird poo poo with disputing charges or something. I am not a banker.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Credit cards are just instructions to your bank to pay some guy some money (on the understanding that you will pay the bank yourself later). Anything you do with a credit card, you can hard-undo by instructing your bank manager to reverse the charge, because until you pay the bill it's still just a matter between the bank and some guy.

You generally don't want to do this. It will tank your credit rating and there are almost always better avenues to refund purchases that you want refunded. However, the option is there for when you need it (when a retailer is being a huge dick).

Retailers are penalised when banks process chargebacks on them because it means more work for the bank and usually only happens when a customer is so dissatisfied with you that they are willing to take a credit hit to get their money back. Unfortunately, this does mean that a sufficiently unhinged individual can, if they are so inclined, repeatedly purchase a thing with a credit card and then reverse all of the charges.

I'm pretty sure it's illegal (fraud, surely) and certainly will raise the ire of the bank and I think (hope) is reversible in the end but until all that bureaucracy works out you can cause a lot of trouble.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Do you take less of a hit doing it on an AMEX or Discover and that's why those aren't accepted as widely as visa and master card?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Ask / Tell › Ask us about SA forums moderation : How Can I Cheat The System?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
:nsallears:

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Holyshoot posted:

Do you take less of a hit doing it on an AMEX or Discover and that's why those aren't accepted as widely as visa and master card?

Credit cards actually charge retailers a fee for use. That's why some small stores have a purchase minimum before the accept credit cards. Amex and discover charge more than others, and are less accepted as a consequence.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Lowtax got an angry email from Google about inappropriate content in the Imp Zone Doom thread because someone posted a sprite of a sexy Cacodemon or something

if anyone was curious, the email is here, and a possible explanation is partway down the page

at the time, A CRUNK BIRD had a version of this avatar

with a pair of :dong: on it, one in each t-rex hand

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
I've tried to make every post be at least 1/3 a joke and haven't gotten lepered so far. Is this a good posting philosophy?

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

August is the Cruelest Month
A single 6-hour prob is a kinda nice forums memory.

Get a harmless one, it won't negatively affect you reputation in the eyes of the mods.

Just don't do it in serious discussion forums.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

You'd think I would know the answer to this already but how are moderators selected? I mean I know you just get messaged by a mod/admin offering it, but how does that process get initiated?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Pathos posted:

You'd think I would know the answer to this already but how are moderators selected? I mean I know you just get messaged by a mod/admin offering it, but how does that process get initiated?

I've heard that sometimes they don't even ask a person; they just have mod buttons all of a sudden.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

prefect posted:

I've heard that sometimes they don't even ask a person; they just have mod buttons all of a sudden.

That's just wonderful

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

prefect posted:

This used to happen, not anymore.

Mods generally talk to the other mods of their forum, then ask a relevant admin for the go-ahead. Sometimes admins make the choice, but it's often mods selecting a co-mod or replacement.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

FactsAreUseless posted:

This used to happen, not anymore.

Mods generally talk to the other mods of their forum, then ask a relevant admin for the go-ahead. Sometimes admins make the choice, but it's often mods selecting a co-mod or replacement.

Can I mod the Star Citizen subforum? I think everyone who regularly posts in it has a very real and actual mental issue.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Skoll posted:

Can I mod the Star Citizen subforum? I think everyone who regularly posts in it has a very real and actual mental issue.

Can confirm.

bossfight
Feb 16, 2013

Skoll posted:

Normally, with just about any thread, I'd say this is a terrible idea. But the Star Citizen thread would actually probably improve if Skoll was mod.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Skoll posted:

I realize this is a joke, but in general the easiest way to disqualify yourself as a moderator is to ask if you can be a moderator.

Shala
Oct 15, 2006

i shot the pilot

Lipstick Apathy

bossfight posted:

Normally, with just about any thread, I'd say this is a terrible idea. But the Star Citizen thread would actually probably improve if Skoll was mod.

Jokes aside I agree

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Incoherence posted:

I realize this is a joke, but in general the easiest way to disqualify yourself as a moderator is to ask if you can be a moderator.

This seems like a really intelligent rule, generally.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Pathos posted:

The Cincinnatus principle is surprisingly good for any kind of position that has power attached to it.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Skoll posted:

It doesn't need another mod right now, but I'll remember you want to do it.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

Incoherence posted:

It's not a joke. Ban this filth for denigrating Our Warlords mission before Legal Gets Involved.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It's a half joke. The autism on display in that subforum is creepy and kind of disgusting. Not that I disagree with Star Citizen being a scam, but you guys are just as overly obsessed as the people you poo poo on.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I think the SC forum has been a success. I closed the thread in Games because I thought it was terrible, but the SC forum (Lowtax's idea) has basically managed itself. It does not cause any issues for the rest of the forums. It's totally self-contained. Sure, it's dumb, but it's dumb in a way that's a lot less damaging to the forums than other mock threads etc. have been in the past.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

Whatever happened to all the catch phrase and typing improperly probations

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
all your catchphrase probations are belong to us

plumpy hole lever
Aug 8, 2003

♥ Anime is real ♥

Avshalom posted:

who is the hairest mod

me, its me

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

AdorableStar posted:

Whatever happened to all the catch phrase and typing improperly probations
Probations for spelling and grammar were stupid because they didn't encourage good posting or prevent bad posting. Catchphrases and similar are handled forum by forum. I think they're only a big problem in GBS, because a bunch of broke-brain GBS dudes can't do joke.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Pathos posted:

And yet Windows 98 was asked to be a mod by Ambien.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Totally TWISTED posted:

you see with him he begged so often that it rolled the dial all the way round back to 0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Totally TWISTED posted:

Keep in mind that his worst behavior was all long before she started moderating GBS. This got a lot of discussion behind the scenes, and it's easy to understand why there was a disagreement. LadyAmbien just had a very different perspective from some of the other mods. Also, at the time, someone who actually WANTED to mod GBS was tempting. Obviously Windows 98 revealed himself to be really crazy again, but I think it's a shame that LadyAmbien stepped away from doing a lot of forums stuff shortly after. I think she was doing good things for GBS.

• Locked thread