Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I read all the photoshop poo poo that made it to the front page all through undergrad in 2001-5. Towards the end of that I was borrowing a buddy's login (*gasp*) to read GBS. He got tired of me freeloading and bought me an account.

About the same time I got into target shooting and antique rifles and what's this? A gun subforum? On my comedy website?

Ten years and way too many wall of text effortposts later Lincolns Wax threw me the keys on his way out the door.

One mod note: TFR is basically the chilliest place ever. It's been weeks since I had a report. There are a handful of usual suspects who get probated now and again but it is mellow As gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Foxhound posted:

What are X-bans? Is there a difference between an X-ban and normal ban?

Are there any mod guidelines for megathreads or is it always case-by-case? Like what makes you go "alright time to restart this 500 page beast"?
Personally, I find that I visit individual forums less and rather find a megathread to bookmark and sift through from the control panel, especially in Games and PYF. Do you somtimes think megathreads make it difficult for a subforum to grow?

This last one may be more suited for QCS, so let me know if I should ask it there instead:
Are there any plans for the Saclopedia? It was obviously more relevant during SA's golden age, but sometimes I visit it when a old name or in-joke pops up or I want to find and read TobleroneTriangular's reveal post again.

1) I've never heard of an X-Ban. Do you mean permabans?

2) It's pretty much whatever the people running the forum think works best. Not just for megathreads, for everything. If it's a multi-mod forum I imagine they communicate and figure poo poo out together, but if it's a one man operation like I run in TFR there is a lot of discretion to do whatever is best for the forum.

3) Yeah, megathreads suck. They're a necessary evil and are useful for a couple of things but they prevent people from discovering new content, which in turn leads to people not making new content. I'm a couple months deep into running gimmick posting pushes to try to counteract this in TFR. Personally I try to kill off megathreads once the OP becomes so dated it's useless and the OP is either unwilling or unable to update it. Really they're only good for things that are such frequent topics of conversation that you don't want them spilling out into every other thread.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yeah, I'd imagine that's more of an issue for certain hyper-popular threads that clip by at hundreds of pages a day. I've never had to deal with one of those, so I have no insight into when that becomes a problem.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Foxhound posted:

I might actually just be an idiot, and the new "banned" image has a big X behind the word banned and I assumed it was called X-ban and didn't give it much thought?

Yeah, that's just a regular 'ol ban.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

2) It's pretty much whatever the people running the forum think works best. Not just for megathreads, for everything. If it's a multi-mod forum I imagine they communicate and figure poo poo out together, but if it's a one man operation like I run in TFR there is a lot of discretion to do whatever is best for the forum.

To clarify one thing, people tend to ask around if something is just bizarre and they're unsure of what to do. There's a whole super-secret mod subforum where we talk about all of you behind your backs and that kind of discussion goes on there.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Skoll posted:

I believe this is real, because knowing Cyrano, that Academia thread exists.

Mostly I'm just pissed he's spilling the beans on Kenya.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

TTerrible posted:

Cute replacements for mod/admin stars.

says you, I got a big blue star tattooed on my cheek when I got the nod.

• Locked thread