Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

hey gene I've heard somewhere before (probably from something you posted somewhere) that you don't really go poking around in threads looking for trouble and you mostly respond to reports. do you ever just gas horrible threads because you've noticed them being terrible or do you wait for a critical mass of reports to come your way before stepping in?

e: same question for any mod I guess. I know fluffie actively checks around BYOB and gasses stale or bad threads but it's not as fast moving as say GBS or Games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

FactsAreUseless posted:

Depends on the mod and the forum, I think. Games is pretty apolitical (deliberately, we discourage it), so a lot of the usual racism of whining about welfare queens or immigration or whatever you just don't see. Outright slurs and stuff seem pretty confined to GBS. You can usually tell when a poster is being ironic just by knowing who's who on the forums, although depending on the poster they might get hit for trolling or similar.

Edit: I disagree strongly that it's the culture of SA, though. Most forums don't see any kind of racism, ironic or otherwise. Sometimes you see ironic racism in FYAD, but that's FYAD being self-referential about ironic racism in FYAD. It's gotten really bad in GBS, which is why the mods there have been cracking down. I think sometimes people think of SA as the place for anything-goes trolling arts, but it really hasn't been that way in a long time. You don't see the "This is Something Awful, not Something Sensitive!" people much anymore.

Did you have any trouble with the Gamergate crowd when that all broke out?

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

blackguy32 posted:

It's more about gbs. I know I still don't like to go there because for a while, it seemed like it was trending upwards.

Then again, I try to just outright avoid racial threads on SA for various reasons.

gbs is pretty greasy right now for one reason or another but it goes through phases.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Hogge Wild posted:

Can't the IKs request for longer ones? What are all the differences between mods and Iks?

IKs generally rule whereas mods are more of a mixed bag

E: looking at you here fluffie

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

FluffieDuckie posted:

did you just call me a mixed bag?

no in this metaphor you're in the bag and

*leaps out of thread through the window*

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Orange Sunshine posted:

How would someone go about modding GBS?

I don't see any way to differentiate between posts, they're all relatively even in terms of quality. Also, I'm not sure how any particular post could make a thread worse.

maybe try posting there once in a while to get a feel for it then come back here and spout off about your findings

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

you have literally never posted in GBS

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Orange Sunshine posted:

Other than the posts I have made there, this is 100% true.

ah i was searching by username not id, how can i forget the three hilarious posts you made in the trump thread this year

carry on goonsire

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

zen death robot posted:

why do you think this

also give examples of what made him one of the best mods ever

if you timed it just right you could get away with some horrible posting while he was sleeping one off, but if you kept it up for too long he'd log in all hung over and ban everyone he saw

i assume that's a desirable quality in a mod

E: those competitions were good and some good threads came out of them

Saint Isaias Boner fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Aug 29, 2016

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

how many people has D.Smart requested bans for, ballpark figure?

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

FactsAreUseless posted:

He likes to put in month probations for people who make fun of him.

he hasn't worked out that he's the punchline then

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

FactsAreUseless posted:

I really like these forums a lot. Mods also get free plat, can give out free titles, etc., but I just did it because I like SA. The biggest benefit to being an admin isn't the admin powers, it's being able to help direct stuff and guide things on the forums by talking to mods and posters and etc. Hence why I made this thread and have taken on QCS stuff.

free plat? well no wonder everyone's clamoring to be made a mod

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Totally TWISTED posted:

And yet Windows 98 was asked to be a mod by Ambien.

you see with him he begged so often that it rolled the dial all the way round back to 0

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

FactsAreUseless posted:

Keep in mind that his worst behavior was all long before she started moderating GBS. This got a lot of discussion behind the scenes, and it's easy to understand why there was a disagreement. LadyAmbien just had a very different perspective from some of the other mods. Also, at the time, someone who actually WANTED to mod GBS was tempting. Obviously Windows 98 revealed himself to be really crazy again, but I think it's a shame that LadyAmbien stepped away from doing a lot of forums stuff shortly after. I think she was doing good things for GBS.

I used to talk to him a lot and if you don't know him he comes across as very polite, intelligent and stable. It's not like he advertises the shovel stuff, weird mod ambitions and life straight out of It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia unless you happen to pay entirely too much attention to these forums like many of us do

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

how dare you

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Hogge Wild posted:

i check it weekly to see which threads have been chosen for the goldmine and photohop friday

sometimes there are good threads that i've missed

and lol that president baby guy is bad

didn't he even have a meltdown somewhere when people told him that he's bad?

I remember an article a while back where he asked posters to submit something for the front page if they didn't like his stuff, did anything come of that?

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

lol I've seen AW(aka FAU) and that aint him

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Can you pose that in the form of a question for our moderator team?

For instance: "Butts?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Friendly Humour posted:

And my monitor is ON abd i have sigs OFF

turn your sigs on

hi how are you ♥

• Locked thread