Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Jeza posted:

Not sure if this is just confirmation bias, but it seems like I see far fewer probations for low-content posts and other technically rule breaking posts than I used to. Are mods just more laissez-faire about that sort of thing now, or do people just report those things less nowadays? I've personally almost never bothered to report anyone for anything, but I guess there are people out there who do.

I can't speak for the other subs but PYF and PI don't bother reporting that poo poo anymore, probably mainly because their mods are busy white-noise shitposting all over the place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

FactsAreUseless posted:

IKs can only give out six-hour probations, and sixers are more useful in smaller, slower-moving forums where you can more easily say "this individual post is bad." In faster-moving forums like GBS or Games, most of the probations are longer ones that are usually because a poster is a problem rather than an individual post. But other mods/admins might have a different perspective.

Hi, I'm a different perspective. PYF has two mods and an IK (hi cash crab) because it's fast-moving and opinionated. Having an IK lets us try to be proactive instead of reactive, because while the sub doesn't really necessitate a third full-blown mod, it's helpful to have an extra person that can spot trouble in the making and reroute a conversation or ding a problem poster before things get out of hand.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

defectivemonkey posted:

My thought process was basically "this forum I like to read needs a janitor and I'm willing to do it. But is it worth having my life and career destroyed if a nutcase on the Internet doesn't like the way I mop the floor?" And then for some reason I decided "yes" and here we are. But yeah, it was a huge part of my decision-making process. I also joined the mod team at a really doxxy time.

:same:

e: That said I think that FAU is right in that it's not as big of a concern anymore. There seem to be three generations of active mod at the moment -- the ones that have been around forever, the ones that joined while mod-doxxing was pretty rampant and a serious concern, and the ones that joined afterwards. I don't think the new folks really take doxxing into consideration anymore, but there are plenty of mods for whom that was a serious consideration.

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Sep 24, 2016

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

thecluckmeme posted:

Moderators and admins:

Besides yourself, who is your favorite moderator and why

Also, who is your favorite admin and why

this guy

he's a dope co-mod/friend :respek:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Officially? Mar 19, 2014.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

You're not wrong, but Friar was referring to the fact that memes in PYF, outside of the designated thread, used to be verboten.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

PYF is extremely goofy at times but I find that part of its charm :3:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

That is so nice of you to say, thank you! Blunt puts in a lot of hard work too, though, I couldn't do it without him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Grandmother of Five posted:

i just read what i thought was a really dumb & petty user report from elsewhere on the forum. you mods & admins should have a PYF thread for posting the dumbest reports, PMs and complaints in.

i get that you want people to be able to help out some, but i'm guessing some people are just super entrenched in forum drama bs, or are so frightfully stupid, that sharing the weirdest & dumbest reports or PMs wouldn't prevent people from reporting useful stuff.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3617914

e: This one is just PYF, but really dumb/inane reports are less common than they have been in the past. Most reports that come in and aren't acted upon are just kind of boring. People being reported for white-noise posting, empty quotes, jokes the reporter doesn't get, that sort of thing.

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Dec 30, 2016

• Locked thread