Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I imagine it's different for most other forums but it's really really not easy to just casually browse LP because... well LPs can be huge, and we have a lot of them. We have a couple of general discussion threads that I keep tabs on but following every LP thread would be insanity. Even when we had three mods it was out of the question. Obviously if I do see people being obviously terrible I can act on it but for the most part reports and PMs are the only indicator we have of where the trouble is. Of course once we have that we can then go digging for context and etc. There have been cases where I have discovered LPs I like after someone in the thread being reported.

LP is also a case of it actually being true that the thread is "owned" by the OP, so a couple of posters are able to keep an iron fist over their own terrible followers with judicious use of the close/open button without even having to involve the moderators. It's not a tactic for everyone but it can be effective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

FactsAreUseless posted:

How much offsite drama does LP generate? It seems like that would be one of the biggest forums for that sort of thing - the single largest of course being Trad Games.

Not a clue! The only way I'd know about it existing is if it leaks back into the forums and someone reports it (which happens... rarely).

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
If I recall, SA was one of the places where the one guy first posted what went on to become the Zoe Post. It was deleted pretty fast.

We have this in common with 4chan.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Credit cards are just instructions to your bank to pay some guy some money (on the understanding that you will pay the bank yourself later). Anything you do with a credit card, you can hard-undo by instructing your bank manager to reverse the charge, because until you pay the bill it's still just a matter between the bank and some guy.

You generally don't want to do this. It will tank your credit rating and there are almost always better avenues to refund purchases that you want refunded. However, the option is there for when you need it (when a retailer is being a huge dick).

Retailers are penalised when banks process chargebacks on them because it means more work for the bank and usually only happens when a customer is so dissatisfied with you that they are willing to take a credit hit to get their money back. Unfortunately, this does mean that a sufficiently unhinged individual can, if they are so inclined, repeatedly purchase a thing with a credit card and then reverse all of the charges.

I'm pretty sure it's illegal (fraud, surely) and certainly will raise the ire of the bank and I think (hope) is reversible in the end but until all that bureaucracy works out you can cause a lot of trouble.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
A lot of rules are course corrections that pass in and out of necessity. For example, once upon a time, LP had a problem with a bunch of people all signing up to post the exact same lovely LP of Pokémon Whatever, with the exact same lovely commentary over the opening, and breaking down completely in the exact same way at the exact same point in the game (where it dawned on them how much work it would be to do a Pokémon LP). So we banned it. People posted them anyway, and got banned for their trouble. A few people who knew what they were doing got mod permission and did some actual good Pokémon LPs. Eventually the tide of poo poo stopped, and when we were reasonably sure the danger had passed, the ban was lifted.

We went eight entire months before someone joined to post a Pokémon Yellow VLP!

• Locked thread