Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
ADTRW doesn't get too many reports, and when it does they're usually pretty straightforward - though, of course, the few times they're not they're always doozies. I typically check for new reports once in the morning (before work) and once in the evening, sometimes sporadically when I've got the time. I've also got posters I trust who'll message me whenever it seems like something's gonna go down. When not doling out punishment, the meat of my job typically involves guiding conversations through/away from trouble spots known to disrupt conversation or foster undue hostility. I try to be firm here, when I need to be, but otherwise prefer to be accomodating (i.e. "Wishywashy").

I can't read every thread, nor every post, but I try to be an active presence where I can and will sometimes randomly look into threads where I'm not. I'm not always doing mod stuff, but I always kinda need to be prepared to do mod stuff, should the need arise, so in that sense I'm always (but never) on the clock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Dawnfire posted:

Can you tell us about some of those doozies? You've got me generally curious how bad some of them get.
I could, probably, but they're rarely interesting in a way that merits getting discussed after the fact. Typically it's just someone being misunderstood, or miscommunicating their point, and you have to talk to a bunch of people to get to the bottom of what's really going on, or it turns out an argument consumed the thread and you have to puzzle out who the guiltier parties are - which of course can lead people to assume you're favoring the one side over the other depending on who or how many get slapped, so I try to be clear about smacking people for pouring oil on the fire rather than whatever brand of oil they favor.

Once in a blue moon a thread you weren't paying close enough attention to will burst into flames, and of course you've gotta put it out.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mk2E1CoGe98

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

It's probably also worth noting mods only have their mod powers in the subforums where they operate, with the exception of being able to check user histories.

When I post in Games or wherever, I'm basically just another user.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

SubponticatePoster posted:

Do you get reports from mods or do y'all handle that poo poo in the mod forum? Also, if you did get a report from a mod would you put the offender on probation even if you didn't agree as a courtesy?
I treat mod reports the same as user reports, including ignoring reports I think aren't actionable.

Since the person who made the report can view where I file it, however, I tend to include a more robust explanation for my ruling than usual.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Shbobdb posted:

Since mods have generally been fairly kind to me, how many reports (rule of thumb) does it take before I get a probation? Before I get a ban?
Zero.

The purpose of a report is to draw a mod's attention to a trouble spot they may or may not have been aware of. If a bad post is actionable, there's no prerequisit number of reports it has to generate before we do something about it, though what we do may not take the form of a probation.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Ah, my bad.

I've talked with people who thought there was a report prerequisite before.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Skoll posted:

Why did you guys accept being mods/admins, and are there any inherent perks of being a mod / former mod or admin besides the forum cop powers?
At the time, simply because I was asked. They needed somebody and I was there. ADTRW was in the middle of some interesting growing pains then (and still is really), so I thought maybe I could be the one to help it come out the other side.

In retrospect I probably should've been more cognizant of the headaches and frustrations involved, so it's been a bit of a learning experience.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

itskage posted:

Do you guys get to see the edit history of a post?
No.

itskage posted:

Are there a lot of people that edit their posts 900 times trying to get the formatting, spelling, etc, perfect?
Yeah, me.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Sep 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

sneakyfrog posted:

tomb of horrors?

you guys are sick sick sick
If your character dies you get demodded.

• Locked thread