Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

FluffieDuckie posted:

i think it's personal preference/forum volume. i prefer to get pms because I get emails right away but I only check reports a couple of times a day. But we're a tiny forum and my method totally works for us.

I'd imagine mods of bigger forums prefer reports because managing that many pms would get crazy

This sounds right -- I definitely prefer PMs but that's because my forum is really small and by the time I notice a report usually the issue has resolved itself. But holy poo poo yeah don't PM a GBS mod every time you see a bad post. The servers would probably melt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

All the mods sleep in a single large bed.

We work together to raise Charlie from the chocolate factory. Actually, his ownership of he factory is how SA has stayed afloat.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
I misc reports often and note that the reporter "doesn't understand jokes".

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Skoll posted:

Why did you guys accept being mods/admins, and are there any inherent perks of being a mod / former mod or admin besides the forum cop powers?

E/N was like 50% dumb joke threads when I became mod and the GBS mods were way too busy with their own forum to babysit it. I genuinely like reading E/N so it made sense to try to make it less unreadable.

And my husband, who's been on here wayyy longer than me, thought it would be funny. I think he thought I'd learn interesting forums gossip from the mod forums. He was wrong.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

FalloutGod posted:

This is one of my favorite E/N threads. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3722319 I keep it in my control panel just to see if there will ever be an update.

Being a mod must mean you see the absolute worst and best threads because of your position so can all of you guys and gals post your most favorite/hated threads?

Fun fact: The other night I was messing with my YNAB and showed my husband the budget. I have a baby category (I'm pregnant) and he re-labeled it to Baby/Star Wars.

I hope Baby Anakin is still with us.

Here is a recent thread that I really, really like: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3787187.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Grandmother of Five posted:

I don't know of all the instances that it has happened, or exactly what any of it has been about, but I know that a bunch of mods have been "doxxed" or otherwise harassed by creepy idiot people. I'm guessing that most mods & admins are people who were fairly heavily involved in the site before they became mods & admins, and probably knew about, at least, Something Sensitive, and about various stories of goons going way beyond the line, being super creepy about the personal lives of both mods & admins, other users, and targets of various mock threads.

What I'm wondering is, whether the possibility of doxxing, or other forms of stalking and harassment, is something that entered your decision-making process when you got asked to be a mod or admin?

My thought process was basically "this forum I like to read needs a janitor and I'm willing to do it. But is it worth having my life and career destroyed if a nutcase on the Internet doesn't like the way I mop the floor?" And then for some reason I decided "yes" and here we are. But yeah, it was a huge part of my decision-making process. I also joined the mod team at a really doxxy time.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Burt Sexual posted:

Fits the mold so far, need more poli sic and art.

Poli sci here.

(What I do for a living has zero to do with poli sci)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Grandmother of Five posted:

Since there has been some recent talk about possible forums changes, I thought it might be neat to ask you mods & admins, and any formers ones that lurk the thread, too, what it was that originally made you join SA, and whether it is the same stuff that keeps you interested in SA now, too.

My husband has been on the forums for a long time and when we met I only knew SA from what everyone who was on the Internet in the early 2000s knows. He urged me to get an account for a while and eventually I did because I liked GWS. He kept jokingly telling me that I would like E/N and then I did and then I modded it for a while.

YLLS helped me lose 50 pounds, GWS has made me a much better cook, and I got my financial poo poo together reading BFC. Whenever I'm about to spend money on something dumb I automatically imagine what the Bad With Money thread would say. I think a lot of the underrated lasting appeal of the forums is in the smaller subforum communities. Other forums tend to attract batshit crazy people and something about SA (probably the acceptance of relentless mocking) drives away total dummies. What remains is a community of generally down-to-earth people who want to casually chat about a thing they like.

• Locked thread