Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

FactsAreUseless posted:

Depends on the mod and the forum, I think. Games is pretty apolitical (deliberately, we discourage it), so a lot of the usual racism of whining about welfare queens or immigration or whatever you just don't see. Outright slurs and stuff seem pretty confined to GBS. You can usually tell when a poster is being ironic just by knowing who's who on the forums, although depending on the poster they might get hit for trolling or similar.

Edit: I disagree strongly that it's the culture of SA, though. Most forums don't see any kind of racism, ironic or otherwise. Sometimes you see ironic racism in FYAD, but that's FYAD being self-referential about ironic racism in FYAD. It's gotten really bad in GBS, which is why the mods there have been cracking down. I think sometimes people think of SA as the place for anything-goes trolling arts, but it really hasn't been that way in a long time. You don't see the "This is Something Awful, not Something Sensitive!" people much anymore.

Self-referential ironic racism is just racism.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Things are more focused on users than posts now, at least from my perspective. Some rules are just gone - strict punctuation rules, derailing, low content for the most part - in favor of targeting posts and posters that are disruptive rather than just low-effort. For the most part, this means funny posters don't get probated because they want a no-caps posting style, but it depends a lot on the forum. Reports are useful, but I encourage people to PM me if they're seeing, say, an entire thread that needs more mod attention. Reports aren't always great for that sort of thing. But even though a lot of reports aren't actionable, it still helps to get a sense for who gets reported a lot, and why, and spikes in reporting can tell mods a lot about what's up in a thread they might not read.

This is a really good thing imo. Most of the bad posters eg. in GBS can usually avoid posting probationable words, but can still be toxic.

Which forums have IKs, and are you mods happy with your IKs? Do they help your work, or are they around just for fun? I think that GBS could be improved by IKs. What do admins and GBS mod think about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

FactsAreUseless posted:

Obviously it's up to Smythe and the GBS mods, but I'm not sure IKs would do much. IKs can only give out six-hour probations, and sixers are more useful in smaller, slower-moving forums where you can more easily say "this individual post is bad." In faster-moving forums like GBS or Games, most of the probations are longer ones that are usually because a poster is a problem rather than an individual post. But other mods/admins might have a different perspective.

Can't the IKs request for longer ones? What are all the differences between mods and Iks?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

genesplicer posted:

Sometimes I do both. Sometimes it seems that certain threads are just poo poo magnets and need to die.

I agree with you on the poo poo magnet thing, but they happen because of the bad posters. And you should give them long probations.

How much time do you mods spend on the mod forums just shooting poo poo compared to the amount you spend posting on the rest of the forums?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
Saint Isaias Boner, did the IKs know?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
Which mod has the longest rap sheet?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
Have you ever met another mod?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

FactsAreUseless posted:

All the mods sleep in a single large bed.

oh my

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

VideoGames posted:

I get some. When they are especially bad I might take a screenshot and show it to the thread that generated it. I only ever really had to do that for the EVE Online thread, which is doing way, way better now.

Could you link some funny reports here that you posted there?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

GonSmithe posted:

He's an angry alcoholic who was a horrendously lovely mod because of it

he was a good mod, one of the best this site has ever had

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

zen death robot posted:

why do you think this

also give examples of what made him one of the best mods ever

He was an active mod in a good way, ie. he posted in his own forum and didn't poo poo on other posters. He also ran some funny competitions. And he wasn't thin skinned. He was the opposite of Franco, Ralp, and Silversliver.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
which mods have dated each other?

does the mod forum sex structure look like this:

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Woolie Wool posted:

Why are Tramadol Junkie and Vile not permabanned? All they ever seem to do is post the most outrageously racist things they can think of, get banned, rereg, and do it all over again.

Tramadol Junkie was recently permabanned. And the forums would improve if you were also.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

TTerrible posted:

I know that i'm really rolling the dice with this question, but here goes.

What does it look like to a poster when they login to find they're probated/banned/perma'd ?

Do bans and permas still see the clown balloon?

Hogge Wild fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Sep 9, 2016

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Instant Sunrise posted:

Is there a plan in place for when 11 year probations start expiring? Will those people be allowed back if they decide to start posting again?

this guy has only 25 days left anymore:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1552163&pagenumber=2&perpage=40#post299214930

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

TTerrible posted:

Thanks for the glimpse into your rap sheet photo album. :3:

hah, thanks!

that first banned pic isn't mine, it's older. maybe some oldtimer could identify it?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

thecluckmeme posted:

The current banned screen is a kid being slammed in a window. No idea where it's from, though

isn't that just the video you see if you're logging in and failing?

and it's from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Boogeyman_(1980_film)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NoSZagUgDg&t=2754s

Hogge Wild fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Sep 10, 2016

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

rear end posted:

Speaking of which, was there any particular event that caused the dip in userbase, or was it just a gradual and natural thing?

someone posted some graphs last year iirc, and after :filez: ended, there have been fewer new regs every year

so the forums have been dying for 10-12 years

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

FactsAreUseless posted:

I think it's a shame that LadyAmbien stepped away from doing a lot of forums stuff shortly after. I think she was doing good things for GBS.

same

she was really improving gbs

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

SneakyFrog posted:

just put in the main post as the rules? usually OP can set rules iirc.

they can't

just ask a mod jon joe, i'm sure that they'll help you

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

FactsAreUseless posted:

I'll be saving some of the good threads and moving them later today.

would you mind moving this to byob: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788051

i was thinking about continuing it

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

FactsAreUseless posted:

I'll be saving some of the good threads and moving them later today.

Could you also move this: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3790258 to Byob, it would fit our Halloween theme really well.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

stringball posted:

If Google adsense gets mad at nws images then why is nws stuff allowed in it?

The guy with the blue dinosaur eating two dicks was too much but others isn't?

FactsAreUseless posted:

I think it's because ads aren't served in FYAD, but I'm not positive. It does have something to do with how the forums are set up, but Lowtax would have to explain the details.

The ads aren't served in FYAD or BYOB, and the dick eating dinosaur made Google mad in Imp Zone iirc. And the word filters for swearwords for the unlogged exist for the same reason.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Mr. Nice! posted:

Gassing a thread probates the OP for only 15 minutes. If there are any other punishments to hand out, the mod has to do those before gsssing otherwise they can't do anything about it since they're not mods of the gas chamber.

Iirc. you can still reply if you have the gassed thread probation, but not make new threads.

Hogge Wild fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Sep 26, 2016

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

IYG had (has?) a dude who pretty much generated all of the reports in there, usually one or two a week, and never ever posts. It's weird to me that someone takes so much issue with others' posts but never posts themselves.

There are many people like that. They read GBS religiously, but only posted in QCS, never in GBS.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Safety Biscuits posted:

There are supposedly 150,000+ registered goons, but do you have any idea how many of them are active, i.e. posting in the last week or month? How many goons are borwsing the forums at any given time? I suppose evening/night in America has the most activity.

i'd say about 4000 on average at any given time

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Patrick Spens posted:

Happyelf's still got 2 in the top 15.

what did he do?

Incoherence posted:

But then I wouldn't have the amusing story of how I got there! (I think I got as high as top 5.)

Story: Years ago, SA introduced the ability to buy intra-forums ads for a cheaper price than the normal banner ads. A... friend from high school decided to buy this hideous flashing pink banner which linked directly to my "ignore this user" link. When someone pointed this banner ad out to radium in the thread he posted for feedback on the new ad prices, he realized that probably shouldn't be allowed, and fixed it for future purchases, but in typical radium fashion he didn't fix the existing banner ad (so it ran for the full month or whatever). Several hundred people clicked it, as you can see from the Posting Gloryhole page. I like to believe that some of those people later became puzzled as to why they had a mod on their ignore list (I haven't been tracking the exact count so I don't know if it's decreased over time).

lol

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Instant Sunrise posted:

happyelf was a D&D poster who was primarily active around 2007 or so. He was a tightly compacted ball of rage, and used to get into arguments with people in D&D a lot. Plus he was pretty far to the left for D&D at the time, and was known for being fairly anti-Israel & pro-Palestine, to the point where the :happyelf: emoticon is named after him.

However, enough people got tired of his posting in D&D that there were several banner campaigns were launched to get people to add him to their ignore lists, which largely succeeded.

He's been permabanned banned since 2011 or so, however.

FactsAreUseless posted:

He came back and posted in Trad Games for a while as Catastropost, where he was a tightly compacted ball of rage that got into arguments with people a lot.

haha, sounds like effectronica

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

BattleMoose posted:

Gay as a pejorative.

Firstly, context matters a very great deal. And the audience matters a very great deal too. But this is actually a very important issue. Growing up as a young adolescent within an environment that openly mocks a core part of who you are as a person, is super not healthy. Obviously I am talking about this post.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/announcement.php?forumid=1

Its not okay. If I could report the post, I would have. Instead I am posting here for want of what to do. The fact that there was no intent of harm, isn't sufficient. The fact that people reading the post will associate being gay as "bad", is not a good thing. Audience matters and this went to a lot of people.

It needs to be flagged and I am that moron who is flagging it. Literally the person who is in control of this whole forum but it needs to be done.

Lowtax isn't black either, but he uses a black man as an av, and that is called "blackface", and it's very racist.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Avshalom posted:

coding is like some sort of tolkien eldritch speech in that as a person masters it more, they attain a gangrenous aura and lose their humanity

pm me an address an i'll send you a tom of finland card and stamp

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

FactsAreUseless posted:

I think people should read/enjoy the front page more, and I still have some vague idea of wanting to increase poster participation with it, but also I think it's cool if people make fun of that President Baby guy, because I'm p. sure he sucks and I don't like his posts. That's right, the admins are corrupt, and we target people, and we're vindictive in all the ways you thought we were. That's just Something Is Awful Dot Com, baby!

i check it weekly to see which threads have been chosen for the goldmine and photohop friday

sometimes there are good threads that i've missed

and lol that president baby guy is bad

didn't he even have a meltdown somewhere when people told him that he's bad?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Absurd Alhazred posted:

He's constantly melting down over twitter, and he's not even in office.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

I remember an article a while back where he asked posters to submit something for the front page if they didn't like his stuff, did anything come of that?

no idea, i don't click his stuff anymore

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

FactsAreUseless posted:

Trad Games mod Ettin also moderates, or used to, another trad gaming website, RPG.net.

drat, that sounds awful

could you get ettin here to talk about it

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Ettin posted:

I still do, sort of! I'm working on some projects right now and RPGnet has a whole team of other mods so I've been taking it easy.

It's alright, but SA is definitely chiller. A lot of things I'd be expected to probate for over there would just get ignored here, if they got reported at all. On the other hand they never had radium :buddy:

The tabletop community/industry has plenty of drama though so I've seen some poo poo. There's an offsite where folks who got banned have been complaining about it for like ten years, and when RPGnet made me a mod they were convinced Something Awful had "invaded" to install me. I haven't checked in ages but I'm probably a cuck now.

haha

You make it sound chiller than I thought, but then again I've never posted there, only read some drama that people have linked here. Did anyone from there buy an account here to meltdown about you? And would you mind sharing some dramas from there?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Nostradingus posted:

Do permabanned usernames ever become available for other users, or will we have to live without gems like stfustfustfu, fievelfurgin and yelajerf forever?

no, but if you change a name it becomes free

when lowtax once changed his name someone instantly regged lowtax and got permabanned for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Suspicious Lump posted:

This Q has probably been asked like 50 times. When and why did the forums go from extremely strict to lax? I remember GBS was anal-central, nearly every sub forum was super easy to get probation/banning. Then all of a sudden (to my anyway) it changed.

halloween 13

iirc it was because some mods and admins wanted some changes on the forums after the aatrek stuff

• Locked thread