Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
Why did you guys accept being mods/admins, and are there any inherent perks of being a mod / former mod or admin besides the forum cop powers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the answers to my question...

Sidenote, does this dying forum not make enough money from the LP and Scam Citizen subforums to tell advertisers to shove it?

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Woolie Wool posted:

Why are Tramadol Junkie and Vile not permabanned? All they ever seem to do is post the most outrageously racist things they can think of, get banned, rereg, and do it all over again.

Revenue stream. And the reactions to TJ are funny. Thats my guess anyway.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

You came in THAT thing? You're braver than I thought.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Shbobdb posted:

How do I troll to the point where I get a lolitar? FM is truly an inspiration to all goons/

Lady Mormont is the antithesis of loli, scrub.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Instant Sunrise posted:

Who has brought more money into the forums at this point, Matt Damon, kyoon, or IWC?

Probably that SC pedo Seraph. Dude has to have dropped a few hundred easy.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

FactsAreUseless posted:

This used to happen, not anymore.

Mods generally talk to the other mods of their forum, then ask a relevant admin for the go-ahead. Sometimes admins make the choice, but it's often mods selecting a co-mod or replacement.

Can I mod the Star Citizen subforum? I think everyone who regularly posts in it has a very real and actual mental issue.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It's a half joke. The autism on display in that subforum is creepy and kind of disgusting. Not that I disagree with Star Citizen being a scam, but you guys are just as overly obsessed as the people you poo poo on.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
He was a massive shitheel on IRC, I know that much.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
How come you guys got rid of GBS? I generally stay out of it cept for the Tech Relics thread but I assume there was an overriding reason.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Julias posted:

Ding ding ding.

Speaking of which, the mods should probably prevent the Paranormal subform from becoming the new GBS and deal with the influx of low effort and gimmick OPs.

It would be cool if PC was actually about the Paranormal and not bad Bill Cosby jokes.

FactsAreUseless posted:

I'm not certain why ZDR closed it when he did, but moving or closing or majorly changing GBS has been discussed for a while. It had some good stuff, but it was also a haven for by far the worst posting on the site.

I'll be saving some of the good threads and moving them later today.

Gotcha. TY for the clarification.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I didn't even know Gas Chamber had mods.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
From QCS :

FactsAreUseless posted:

When we first made the rebooted GBS, a bunch of mods couldn't see it, despite it being labeled as the same type of forum as the mod forums. When I went to make it public I discovered there's a bunch of weird behind-the-scenes permission stuff I had to go through and fix for each usertype, literally at 11 when I was trying to send rebooted GBS live.

And while doing namechanges I discovered that a bunch of avs are still in the system as HTML, not BBCode. But if I leave them alone they break if I change anything else in the admin panel. They only function on the old code until looked at.

FactsAreUseless posted:

ZDR has way crazier stories.

Can you guys tell us more about radium's code giving you all PTSD?

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

BattleMoose posted:

So I disagreed with some people on the internet and got a new avatar. \o/

Is there a line that can be crossed in terms of suggesting other forumites go and suicide themselves or is it really just an open season thing and anything goes?

To be fair, D&D is a cesspit of circlejerking retardation who all think they're PoliSci majors in a Tom Clancy novel.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

BattleMoose posted:

Gay as a pejorative.

Firstly, context matters a very great deal. And the audience matters a very great deal too. But this is actually a very important issue. Growing up as a young adolescent within an environment that openly mocks a core part of who you are as a person, is super not healthy. Obviously I am talking about this post.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/announcement.php?forumid=1

Its not okay. If I could report the post, I would have. Instead I am posting here for want of what to do. The fact that there was no intent of harm, isn't sufficient. The fact that people reading the post will associate being gay as "bad", is not a good thing. Audience matters and this went to a lot of people.

It needs to be flagged and I am that moron who is flagging it. Literally the person who is in control of this whole forum but it needs to be done.

Sounds like something that belongs in QCS, tbh.. Also :laffo: that you get offended over something as dumb and minor as that.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
You can't take away peoples right to be assholes, dude. While I understand where you are coming from, I highly doubt Lowtax using a turn of phrase meant it as "kill all fags".

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
How bad would you guys consider Toxxgate to be in the line of SA scandals?

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

frankenfreak posted:

Looking at it from the outside, I'd say it's about 0.05 Aa.

While the :aatrek: poo poo was horrible, all the Star Trek related puns that resulted were loving gold.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Blind Sally posted:

this is ridiculous. also hilarious. i hope awful posters continue to have meltdowns over the most inconsequential of probations. if there are any particularly hilarious ones, would anyone on the mod team be willing to share them? in sort of the style of the "stop reporting stupid poo poo" thread, but now "stop losing it over stupid poo poo"?

I adjusted my angry poo poo posting after my month ban. Now I try to make sure that it is at least semi constructive.

Thanks, Buy Owner!

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I like it when two posters get so involved in their silly drama that they start reporting each others posts :allears:

How often is that?

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I know there's one literal autist in Games who does that and got probated for it.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Nice! posted:

Star citizen people paid millions to get gary oldman in the game that will never exist.

Didn't he pull out of that project too?

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Grognan posted:

Also because it became impossible to dissent without tripping the racism alarm regardless of content. Hence the discussion forum is not the same as the quarantine forum

So you're telling me a bunch of D&D crazies can't take any criticism without crying "RACISSSMMM!!!!" ?

#woke

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Ettin posted:

Ask and you shall receive, friend

I believe this is real, because knowing Cyrano, that Academia thread exists.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Caufman posted:

So is there any plan to immortalize Lowtax?

Surely someone must be thinking of the line of succession!

A statue of Lowtax and Uwe Boll in front of the Philadelphia Museum of Art.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Why are the GBS mods letting a bunch of hateful assholes carry on a pro-literal Nazi circlejerk in this thread?

You have a weird way of posting in QCS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

MANime in the sheets posted:

Which brings up another important question: When is Lowtax going to give us our spaceship drawings :argh:

Two weeks™.

• Locked thread