Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
The amount of mod stuff I do depends on how much dicketry has been going on and reported. Sometimes it's a couple of minutes, sometimes it can be more than an hour. I must admit, it does occasionally get in the way of my posting, because modding time does come out of my total posting time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam

N. Senada posted:

How did you become a mod? Like, is it just someone messages you and asks if you're up for it?

The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by Divine Providence that I, Genesplicer, was to Mod General Bullshit.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

hey gene I've heard somewhere before (probably from something you posted somewhere) that you don't really go poking around in threads looking for trouble and you mostly respond to reports. do you ever just gas horrible threads because you've noticed them being terrible or do you wait for a critical mass of reports to come your way before stepping in?

e: same question for any mod I guess. I know fluffie actively checks around BYOB and gasses stale or bad threads but it's not as fast moving as say GBS or Games

It depends. I still go through GBS, reading threads that interest me. On occasion, I'll notice a thread title that seems a bit dodgy and I'll investigate. But about 95% of the actions I take come from reports. Some threads I gas simply because it is obvious that it is heading toward - already arrived in hell. Some times I log on, check the reports and see that a particular thread has lots of complaints. If the reports are all about 1 person, I'll just hit that person. But if it is several people in the same thread, I may just gas the whole thing. Usually, in those circumstances, the multiple complaints indicate that the thread is dying and needs to be put out of my misery.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam

Someone Awful! posted:

why do you favor gassing threads over punishing posters?

Sometimes I do both. Sometimes it seems that certain threads are just poo poo magnets and need to die.

• Locked thread