Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I read a lot of threads in Games and MMO-HMO. Those two are where I spend a lot of my time but I do not always post. I've always been a huge lurker here since I joined. I love reading a lot and I read a lot. I also like reading a ton of PYF threads, and spend the occasional time reading some of the other big forums, but its mostly Games that has my lions share of time.

When I do the modding stuff (I think I posted this in another thread somewhere) but I like to read the report, read the rap sheet of the person being reported and the one doing the report, and then read the previous five or so pages of the thread where whatever happened, happened. If it's not a thread I am actively part of then it takes time to get a feel for whatever is going on, but I try to be as fair as possible every time and I want to give each report a fair shake. That's only if the post isn't immediately obvious as to what is occurring!!

I also try to spend a few hours a day on the forums to make sure that I'm up to date with things!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Reports are awesome for the threads I do not read.
PMs are a great way of me being able to respond to questions/greiviances/poster issues with more of a dialogue behind my own thoughts and feelings. The same goes for emails (for those who don't have platinum.)

The best way to draw attention to something is just to contact us in some way, be that PMs or Reports. Really the biggest and best thing I think of it honest direct communication with us all. That's why this thread is excellent. Questions and queries with policies you might have can be answered if asked. I will respond to every PM I get with as much detail as needed. Especially if you think I've done something strange or want to know why one thing garnered more of a punishment than anything else.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

AMLOVINIT posted:

I know you all said that reports are awesome but do you come across reports from whiney little self righteous shites on a My Opining Is The Only Correct One journey?

Nota Bene: in my twisted mind, all report-ers are just snitches

I get some. When they are especially bad I might take a screenshot and show it to the thread that generated it. I only ever really had to do that for the EVE Online thread, which is doing way, way better now.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Hogge Wild posted:

Could you link some funny reports here that you posted there?

Well, they're not funny, just silly.

I liked this one the most:

There are the occasional reports I've thought "Why on earth is this a report?!" but I have not made screenshots of those.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Skoll posted:

Why did you guys accept being mods/admins, and are there any inherent perks of being a mod / former mod or admin besides the forum cop powers?

I accepted because I really enjoy video games and talking about them. I have seen Games throughout the years and Kewpuh (who asked me to mod) was genuinely one of the best Games mods we've ever had. His approach has helped make Games full of the kind of discussion I enjoy reading about. I wanted to keep that spirit going.

I'm exceptionally pleased with the state of Games!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Fudge posted:

I got some mega douche chills reading this just FYI

Turn your heater on.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

blackguy32 posted:

Are the games moderators just seeing a large amount of posts telling other posters to kill themselves? Its a pretty horrible thing to say to someone else and I know it was growing into a meme, but it stands out to me as one of the few things that is outright probatable in the games forum.

When I put it down as a rule all those posts ago it was because I was seeing it a lot. I think as a post its kind of pathetic. If you want to put someone down then at least be clever with what you say. Or funny.

Recently it has been cropping up again. I'm not sure why but I think if you are getting angry about a game to the point where you feel someone should die then you've probably lost whatever argument or high ground you originally had.

I know sometimes SA gets accused of being social justicey but in this case I find the potential problems it could cause to be something I disagree with.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Alexeythegreat posted:

Do people report their own posts?

Ocasionally. Sometimes they want to let us know they've failed a toxx, or they want to change a thread title, or just be probated because they realise they've done something silly.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

weak wrists big dick posted:

What are some of the occupational backgrounds of the mods? I'm not asking for a full d0xx or anything stupid like that, I just want to know what you guys do in a broad sense outside of the forums. Like database management, mechanic, showgirl, etc.

I'm a librarian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

weak wrists big dick posted:

What keyboard and mouse do you use?

E: bonus question, which mod is the best at video games?

As a true gamer, I have an old logitech g500 mouse and a ducky shine 3 mechanical keyboard. It's one of the slim ones with no numberpad.

Also I am a paradox in that out of all the mods I am the best at being the worst at Video games. (Sorry N4I)

• Locked thread