Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Plan Z posted:

Whose idea was it to do report-shaming in PYF? Because that was the best decision to fix that sub.

Greetings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hogge Wild posted:

he was a good mod, one of the best this site has ever had

:laugh:

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Julias posted:

Strange, that's what I got reading your post.

...anyway, this is an older topic, but what powers and responsibilities did Moperator Pork Lift have?

He was IK of some closed subforum so his completely informal powers were to roam the forums and hand out the occasional 6h probation to anyone he saw make an especially bad or dumb post. I adored this idea but someone complained about it right on the heels of, iirc, the old ads guy going insane and probating a bunch of people in the soccer forum for no reason, and an FYAD IK using the same trick to probate someone in another forum. So it was probably hard to justify in light of that.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Discendo Vox posted:

I have to admit, I find the wandering IK idea appealing.

It was only a good idea in the particular mod environment at the time. There was a period years ago when moderation of some subforums seemed out of step with the forums as a whole, or even inconsistent among mods within the same forum. This is the environment where Hondarider123 thought it was a good idea for a moderator to tell heroin addicts to avoid rehab and start taking heroin, or for Paulie I think? to run the low-carb thread the way we all remember now. Those are a couple of extreme examples, and there were good mods and good subforums too of course, but in general it was all a bit disjointed. So, having one IK who roamed around was sort of a (small) unifying measure, but not a real solution.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RNG posted:

Did anything ever pass the reverse gas chamber challenge?

There were at least a dozen winners, sometimes I posted congrats in the thread after two days were up but it wasn't a big announcement because it's a pretty boring event. The "prize" is just... not being banned?

There were almost as many entries disqualified, usually because the thread had been archived while in the gas chamber and couldn't be moved out of it.

Not a single thread ever lost and no one was ever banned. The closest thing to a loss was one time someone wanted to enter with a thread I had just gassed, and he or she wanted to ungas it to QCS which only I moderated at the time, so I just said no I'm not going to let you enter because I would immediately gas it again and you would lose, so please just stay unbanned.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

Has anyone ever taken the reverse gas chamber challenge? The one that Ralp has stickied in there?

Ralp posted:

There were at least a dozen winners, sometimes I posted congrats in the thread after two days were up but it wasn't a big announcement because it's a pretty boring event. The "prize" is just... not being banned?

There were almost as many entries disqualified, usually because the thread had been archived while in the gas chamber and couldn't be moved out of it.

Not a single thread ever lost and no one was ever banned. The closest thing to a loss was one time someone wanted to enter with a thread I had just gassed, and he or she wanted to ungas it to QCS which only I moderated at the time, so I just said no I'm not going to let you enter because I would immediately gas it again and you would lose, so please just stay unbanned.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Derek Smart is only famous to me because of that DEREK SMARTS DESKTOP COMMANDER video.

That video is the only reason that forum was created.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ToxicSlurpee posted:

How quickly did reports go down and how much did they go down after the "quit reporting stupid poo poo" rule came about?

We didn't take metrics or anything, but it was very effective within just a few days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SinineSiil posted:

This is surreal to me. What kind of person does that? "oh, a post I don't get, better report it"

What happens here is that someone will read a post but not realize it's supposed to be a joke, and to him or her it's just a wildly off-topic post, like wtf this guy isn't even posting his favorite color in the "PYF Color" thread? This is a highly disruptive thread derail, can we PLEASE get back to posting our favorite color?

Out of the bullet points in that thread, I think I actually have a little sympathy for this one because the reporter is just dumb. Not really much he or she can do about that, oh well.

• Locked thread