Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
all your catchphrase probations are belong to us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

The creatures outside looked from FaU to Lowtax and from Lowtax to FaU and from FaU to Lowtax again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

kedo posted:

That's a good point, so maybe that's not what I meant. I suppose I'm curious how that rule is actually applied. I feel like I see people posting idiotic nonsense often and it's apparently fine (or flies under the radar). Other times I see people posting idiotic nonsense and it results in a probation.

Is there a reason why one idiotic post might slip by and another might not? Is is a matter of what gets reported, or what a mod sees? How do you as mods determine what = idiotic rule breaking vs. what = passable idiocy?

I'm guessing it's just subjective.
Gonna answer even though I've been a mod for less than a week. There are multiple reasons but the big one is which post is reported. The mods don't personally read each post or anything, that'd be crazy. Context matters as well and we don't telepathically reach consensus on how to handle various posts, but yeah, the biggest thing is what gets reported.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

You can't buy someone else a name change - everyone would get renamed things like wvwvvwvwwwvwvwwvw and be unable to log in because they don't know their username.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

mocks on toxx on fox or vox

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Without getting too far into it, what's cool and not cool to post depends on context. Posting a meme on a forum where memes are taboo conveys a very different tone than posting it on facebook or reddit does. See also "Jeffrey's lectures on posting", Grover Publishing House, 1988, pp 571-588

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

weak wrists big dick posted:

What are some of the occupational backgrounds of the mods? I'm not asking for a full d0xx or anything stupid like that, I just want to know what you guys do in a broad sense outside of the forums. Like database management, mechanic, showgirl, etc.

hmm....what's the most obnoxious answer I can put here as a joke...I'm a 30 year old computer man/improv comedian

poo poo I hosed up

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Derek Smart is only famous to me because of that DEREK SMARTS DESKTOP COMMANDER video.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I moderated an LUE spinoff line a decade ago. It mostly was a recognition of service to the community, there wasn't much moderating to do.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

MANime in the sheets posted:

The tabletop version of Something Sensitive?
lmao I'd like to imagine every forum having its own spinoff forum full of haters

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I always wondered why the GBS changed a few years ago orotund Halloween. It used to be basically a twin of D&D and news stories. Was there a certain tipping point that caused it or did whoever do it just want to turn it away from that?

How long do you think it will take for the forums to fully die or become unsustainable for what the upkeep costs? I want to be here when the sun goes out.
I think the mods decided to experimentally change things up? I remember a lot of tension on the forums at the time - doobie's dogs going south and aatrek being outed happened around the same time, a few months before the GBS change.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I joined to because because I liked reading funny stuff and stay because I like to try to create funny stuff.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

When the world collapses and is burning around us and the last remaining vestiges of humanity are desperately banding together for survival I'll still be here with the other three living posters discussing whatever topic is relevant, like how to purify water and how bad the Xbox one is.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

An event we've only found trace documentation of. The ones before us called it "the great chill" but we're as of yet unsure as to what that means.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

*barely legible will is found containing only the word "stile" scrawled in pencil and dated 6/9/1997*

• Locked thread