Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Wes Anderson film?
Bottle Rocket
Rushmore
The Royal Tenenbaums
The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
The Darjeeling Limited
Fantastic Mr. Fox
Moonrise Kingdom
The Grand Budapest Hotel
AVP: Alien vs. Predator
View Results

• Locked thread
Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Prologue:

Once upon a time, there was a filmmaker from Austin, Texas who gathered his friends to make a short film. His circle of friends included the Wilson brothers, Owen and Luke, and Robert Musgrave. Robert would never be seen again after a feature-length version of this short film. The film is entitled Bottle Rocket (1992, released 1994) and was remade as the identically titled Bottle Rocket (1996).

Figure 1a
The director is Wes Anderson.

Filmgoers may confuse Wes Anderson with other Andersons, such as Paul Thomas Anderson, director of Boogie Nights and There Will Be Blood (both Oscar nominated). Or Paul W.S. Anderson, director of the Resident Evil motion pictures and a futuristic retelling of The Three Musketeers.

Wes Anderson is responsible writing and directing unique, quirky comedies. Among his hallmarks are striking, vibrant visuals calling back to the elegant symmetry of Stanley Kubrick; reliable use of British Invasion pop tunes; witty dialogue reminiscent of Preston Sturges, and an endlessly recurring cast (diagram below).

Chapter One:

THE FILMS OF WES ANDERSON:

Bottle Rocket
(1992 - short film - 1.33:1)
Starring Owen Wilson, Luke Wilson, and Robert Musgrave

Bottle Rocket
(1994 - Columbia Pictures - 1.85:1)
Ibid, plus James Caan
Written by Anderson and Owen Wilson

Rushmore
(1998 - Touchstone Pictures - 2.35:1)
Starring Jason Schwartzman, Bill Murray, Olivia Williams, Brian Cox
Written by Anderson and Wilson

The Royal Tenenbaums
(2001 - Touchstone Pictures - 2.35:1)
Starring Gene Hackman, Ben Stiller, Luke Wilson, Gwyneth Paltrow, Owen Wilson, Anjelica Huston, Danny Glover, Bill Murray
Written by Anderson and Wilson
Nominated for the Academy Award for Best Original Screenplay (2002)

The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
(2004 - Touchstone Pictures - 2.35:1)
Starring Bill Murray, Owen Wilson, Willem Dafoe, Cate Blanchett, Anjelica Huston, Jeff Goldblum, Michael Gambon, Bud Cort
Written by Anderson and Noah Baumbach

The Darjeeling Limited
(2007 - Fox Searchlight Pictures - 2.35:1)
Starring Owen Wilson, Adrien Brody, Jason Schwartzman, Anjelica Huston, Bill Murray (cameo)
Written by Anderson, Schwartzman, and Roman Coppola

Hotel Chevalier
(2007 - short film - 2.35:1)
Starring Jason Schwartzman, Natalie Portman
Written by Anderson
Shown as prologue preceding The Darjeeling Limited theatrically and on home video

Fantastic Mr. Fox
(2009 - Fox Searchlight Pictures - 1.85:1)
Featuring the vocal talents of George Clooney, Meryl Streep, and many others
Written by Anderson and Noah Baumbach
Based upon the novel by Roald Dahl (published by Alfred A. Knopf, Inc., United States)
Nominated for the Academy Awards for Best Animated Feature and Best Original Score (2010)

Moonrise Kingdom
(2012 - Focus Features - 1.85:1)
Starring Bruce Willis, Edward Norton, Bill Murray, Frances McDormand, Tilda Swinton, Jason Schwartzman, Bob Balaban
Written by Anderson and Baumbach
Nominated for the Academy Award for Best Original Screenplay (2013)
Nominated for Palme d'Or [Cannes Film Festival] (2012)

The Grand Budapest Hotel
(2014 - Fox Searchlight Pictures - 1.85:1/1.33:1/2.35:1)
Starring Ralph Fiennes, F. Murray Abraham, Mathieu Amalric, Adrien Brody, Willem Dafoe, Jeff Goldblum, Harvey Keitel, Jude Law, Bill Murray, Edward Norton, Saoirse Ronan, Jason Schwartzman, Léa Seydoux, Tilda Swinton, Tom Wilkinson, Owen Wilson, Tony Revolori
Written by Anderson and Hugo Guinness
List of accolades and rewards received

Chapter Two:

You will find nearly all of Wes Anderson's films in the highly admired Criterion Collection (est. 1984, New York City) on Blu-Ray Disc and DVD format.

Here is a YouTube video with excerpts from the films of Wes Anderson:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f56Ta6umxTI

And one of my personal favorite moments from his films:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5SRdYsscLc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

amityville anus posted:

I can stick my dick into my own rear end in a top hat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRibnHiuZkQ

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I think The Life Aquatic will be appreciated more over time.

The Royal Tenenbaums, Fantastic Mr. Fox, and The Grand Budapest Hotel are drat near perfect, though.

I didn't care for Rushmore or Moonrise Kingdom much, but I've only seen them once.

(Bottle Rocket is pretty good and the bookstore robbery is great)

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Blacktoll posted:

I saw Moonrise Kingdom and felt uncomfortable and then googled a picture of Wes Anderson and the two confirmed my suspicions that he's a pedo.

I think he's just :spergin:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Wizard Master posted:

Nice post, OP. Enjoying these director threads. Do a David Lynch one next.

I'd do Lynch, but I haven't seen a lot of his key works yet. Still need to see Dune, Wild at Heart, Twin Peaks, Lost Highway, Muholland Dr., and Inland Empire.

There's only a few directors I've seen all their existing work - Kubrick, Anderson, Tati, Melies, and Mel Brooks. I'm close on Hitchcock (seen all but two of his American films and his non-major British films), Welles (two left), and Tarantino (got The Hateful Eight from Netflix right now).

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I'M GONNA MACE YOU IN THE FACE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wy6ANzdhy1s

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

AARO posted:

This was something like "He has little boys in all his movies and they make out and get boners or wear speedos" and "He focuses on sexual taboos" like the brother sister relationship in Royal Tennanbaums and the man who liked old 85 year old women in Grand Budapest.

I think Wes probably is attracted to little boys. His next film will probably have some random little boys in it for no reason like he always does.

Except a lot of this is him referencing movies.

The Royal Tenenbaums borrows a lot from The Magnificent Ambersons, which has a subplot of half siblings in love.

The recurring theme of strong child characters is probably from his love for The 400 Blows. Rushmore particularly borrows a lot from the film.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The Royal Tenenbaums was important to me because it was when I really started to appreciate film as an art. I was still in high school and saw movies like 8 1/2 and Citizen Kane for the first time. The Grand Budapest Hotel is just as amazing and it helps to have some of the best characters Anderson has written. It could have been a poo poo script, but I think half the film's magic comes from one of the best casts ever.

(Also, looking at IMDB and Wikipedia, I really doubt he's a pedo.)

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

Wes Anderson makes enjoyable films.

Also, you can almost always tell an Anderson film from a single screenshot.

He's had the same cinematographer on all his films except for Fantastic Mr. Fox, Robert Yeoman. And Fox was shot by Tristan Oliver, who shot all the Wallace and Gromit films.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

fits my needs posted:

Doesn't he hang with the dude that made the old x men movies and he throws parties where he invites a lot of boys to come hang out with him and other disgusting examples of humanity?

That's Bryan Singer

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Chapter Three:

Egbert Souse opines on the motion pictures directed by Wes Anderson.

Bottle Rocket - Funnier and better than I was expecting. Not a bad debut film. The bookstore robbery is hilarious and Anderson's style is already in place.
Rushmore - Artistically stunning, but I think Max and Herman aren't likable enough to grab hold of the story. I'm due for a rewatch, though.
The Royal Tenenbaums - His first masterpiece. Funny, touching, and just A+ storytelling. Fantastic cast and soundtrack.
The Life Aquatic - I like this more than other people do probably because it's so quotable and quirky. Another great soundtrack.
The Darjeeling Limited - I found this to be different from his previous work, but as endearing. The pepper spray scene is amazing.
Fantastic Mr. Fox - One of the best animated features, possibly the best stop-motion. I love the "homemade" look of the animation rather than being overly polished, yet it undoubtedly looks like an Anderson film.
Moonrise Kingdom - Meh, but it's due for a rewatch. Perhaps a bit too clinical?
The Grand Budapest Hotel - Second masterpiece. I love the nestled narrative, the gorgeous cinematography, and another great cast. This has one of the best original scores of recent years.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Xenomrph posted:

Have you not seen all of James Cameron's work? Granted 'Piranha 2' isn't the most popular movie if you're going for absolute completionism, but the rest of his stuff is easy to get ahold of.

On topic, I don't think I've ever seen a Wes Anderson movie from beginning to end but it's not because I didn't like them; I just haven't devoted the time to watch his movies or I ended up getting sidetracked by something else.

I haven't seen his two underwater documentaries or Piranha 2, but I'm not as much of a fan. I like his films, but The Abyss is the only one of his I'd rank as a masterpiece. Not to say his other films are bad, but he's probably the finest popcorn movie director around.

There's only a few directors I've seen all their (existing) work: Kubrick, Anderson, Tati, Melies, almost Tarantino (got The Hateful Eight waiting from Netflix), and almost Welles (just need to see The Immortal Story and Chimes at Midnight, which come out next week on Blu-Ray).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The Royal Tenenbaums is full of great scenes, but this is God mode filmmaking:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLGAzel26j0

This is the sort of thing you show to describe good directing.

(Also a testament to how brilliant Anjelica Huston and Gene Hackman are as actors)

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Aug 23, 2016

• Locked thread