Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Well I'm all caught up on the books except for The Vital Abyss and boy howdy do I love it overall even though it does have some clunker parts (horny space scientist in Cibola Burn parts). Since I got into this series late (because I watched the show) how often should I expect to have to wait between books? I know that the next one is in December but since everything else was already released at the point I started reading I want to know how to gird myself between volumes.

Edit: It's kind of a shame that the Belters don't really look that different than earthers in the TV series for the most part. I know, budget restrictions and effects problems most likely but still. I'm very curious as to what Bobbie's powered armor is going to look like.

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Oct 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Well I'm all caught up on the books except for The Vital Abyss and boy howdy do I love it overall even though it does have some clunker parts (horny space scientist in Cibola Burn parts). Since I got into this series late (because I watched the show) how often should I expect to have to wait between books? I know that the next one is in December but since everything else was already released at the point I started reading I want to know how to gird myself between volumes.

Until Babylon's Ashes there has been a new book literally every June since Leviathan Wakes was published.

It would have been the same this year; however, Babylon's Ashes was delayed because of the television show.

quote:

Edit: It's kind of a shame that the Belters don't really look that different than earthers in the TV series for the most part. I know, budget restrictions and effects problems most likely but still. I'm very curious as to what Bobbie's powered armor is going to look like.

I haven't watched the show, but I feel you. It makes it really hard to communicate how much people would physically change, not just mentally, because of the G environment they grew up in.

And it's not just the Belters, it's people from Mars and Luna as well.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

ZombieLenin posted:

Until Babylon's Ashes there has been a new book literally every June since Leviathan Wakes was published.

It would have been the same this year; however, Babylon's Ashes was delayed because of the television show.

I haven't watched the show, but I feel you. It makes it really hard to communicate how much people would physically change, not just mentally, because of the G environment they grew up in.

And it's not just the Belters, it's people from Mars and Luna as well.

It's nice to know that the books aren't years apart between volumes. :)

And yeah in the show SOME Belters are very different looking, but not all. I forget the reasoning but I think they hand waved that some spend money to have drugs and physical therapy to keep them from being that way, hence Miller and Naomi looking completely normal but poorer belters often having the long limbs etc. It's pretty dumb but eh, TV.

Edit: yeah I was under the impression that Martians weren't very different from Earthers but people from Luna were more pronounced on their low-g environment, but Belters are getting close to the tall CE3K alien.

Edit 2: for the Belter that Avasarala questions in the first book, they got an actor with Marfan's Syndrome and it worked great, although you'll be limited on getting actors with that of course.

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Oct 3, 2016

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

It's nice to know that the books aren't years apart between volumes. :)

I agree! It's probably good that James SA Corey is actually two people, not one. Believe me when I say that makes a huge difference on writing projects.

quote:

And yeah in the show SOME Belters are very different looking, but not all.

Just watched the first episode last night so I haven't gotten to see much. My one complaint so far is the actors are too young.

It seems like the casting choices were great, other than this, but Holden was in his mid-30s at least in Leviathan Wakes. Steven Straight has just turned 30 and looks 25 to me.

quote:

yeah I was under the impression that Martians weren't very different from Earthers but people from Luna were more pronounced on their low-g environment, but Belters are getting close to the tall CE3K alien.

Yes, but Martians in there one 3rd G are still noticeably taller than Earthers. They also have more narrow and angular features, and it's commented that you can tell someone was born on Mars just by looking at them.

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!

ZombieLenin posted:

Just watched the first episode last night so I haven't gotten to see much. My one complaint so far is the actors are too young.

It seems like the casting choices were great, other than this, but Holden was in his mid-30s at least in Leviathan Wakes. Steven Straight has just turned 30 and looks 25 to me.

I also pictured Amos as a 45ish year old factory worker that's build like a brick shithouse.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
I always imagined Amos as the Big Show from WWE, just, like, a better actor than Paul Wight.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Dr. Benway posted:

I also pictured Amos as a 45ish year old factory worker that's build like a brick shithouse.

I'm re-reading Leviathan Wakes right now and Holden is described from Fred Johnson perspective as a man who might be "in his early 30s."

Holden also is stated to have spent 7 years in the UN navy and 5 years as an XO of the Cantaberry, which would make him around 30 if he went into the navy at 18; however, he was an officer in the navy, which going by the contemporary navy, means he very likely had a college degree or equivalent training when he joined, making him around 34.

Plus the way that--from a number of main character perspectives--people are described as being visibly older in Nemesis Games doesn't strike me as people having aged from their early 30s to their mid-30s. It's more like what I'm experiencing as a 39 year old, and realizing that my friends, my wife, and myself are actually starting to show our ages...

And finally there is the demeanor of the main pov characters, which is not the demeanor I would expect of people who are barely 30.

In any case, I just think it's unfortunate that Steven Straight is so young. I mean, to me, he looks 25--it's almost like they're trying to make him look younger. This is causing me real dissonance while watching the show. And this critique applies to nearly everyone on the show with the exception of maybe Miller and Amos.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Oct 5, 2016

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]
So I don't know why this didn't bother me the first time I read Abaddon's, but it's bothering me now.

On the alien station, the Martian marine's guns don't work. Then in response to the Martian grenade launcher, the station makes the slow zone even slower because, according to Miller, it see's anything faster than "a slow pitched softball as a threat."

This is followed somehow by full scale gun battles on Behemoth a few chapters later with lots of guns and things going faster than softballs.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Oct 12, 2016

kerwyn
Aug 21, 2007
When Holden is describing the slow zone on camera (to the reporter lady for her documentary or whatever) when they first enter he notes that it doesn't extend to inside ships for whatever reason.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

ZombieLenin posted:

So I don't know why this didn't bother me the first time I read Abaddon's, but it's bothering me now.

On the alien station, the Martian marine's guns don't work. Then in response to the Martian grenade launcher, the station makes the slow zone even slower because, according to Miller, it see's anything faster than "a slow pitched softball as a threat."

This is followed somehow by full scale gun battles on Behemoth a few chapters later with lots of guns and things going faster than softballs.
I got the impression that it didn't mess with internal movement in other objects. Like, it's not going to stop someone's blood from moving too fast inside their body or whatever. As far as the station was concerned ships and all their contents were single objects and stuff could move however it wanted to inside there.

At least that's how I remembered it. I may have been rationalizing at the time. It doesn't really make a ton of sense. If it was going to use its godlike powers to protect itself, you'd think it'd just wink every object out of existence that didn't display the appropriate security code or whatever (or freeze it in place if maximum speed was the only thing it could affect). Though that would make for a very short and pointless story.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Eiba posted:

I got the impression that it didn't mess with internal movement in other objects. Like, it's not going to stop someone's blood from moving too fast inside their body or whatever. As far as the station was concerned ships and all their contents were single objects and stuff could move however it wanted to inside there.

At least that's how I remembered it. I may have been rationalizing at the time. It doesn't really make a ton of sense. If it was going to use its godlike powers to protect itself, you'd think it'd just wink every object out of existence that didn't display the appropriate security code or whatever (or freeze it in place if maximum speed was the only thing it could affect). Though that would make for a very short and pointless story.

That makes me feel a bit better, I didn't remember this though I probably just read it. Still, it's weird that the velocity stopped

Eiba posted:

Martian bullets on the station and not on the ships.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

ZombieLenin posted:

Still, it's weird that the velocity stopped Martian bullets on the station and not on the ships.

Is it? The station isn't a foreign body, it's...itself. Why wouldn't it apply the "gently caress you you don't gotta go fast" rules inside itself?

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

bitprophet posted:

Is it? The station isn't a foreign body, it's...itself. Why wouldn't it apply the "gently caress you you don't gotta go fast" rules inside itself?

Not really, but I connect the bullets to the "slow zone" precisely because the grenade launcher actually works, and then the further reduction of velocity in the slow zone is a response to that; however, it occurs to me that you guys are right. If the slow zone affected what was happening inside the ships, nobody would be hurt by the sudden reduction of velocity of the ship.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

ZombieLenin posted:

Not really, but I connect the bullets to the "slow zone" precisely because the grenade launcher actually works, and then the further reduction of velocity in the slow zone is a response to that; however, it occurs to me that you guys are right. If the slow zone affected what was happening inside the ships, nobody would be hurt by the sudden reduction of velocity of the ship.

Yeah, the fact that everyone got hurt shows that the field isn't affecting objects inside of the ships.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Sorry if this is a thread bump, I've tried to keep myself as spoiler free as possible.

I've started reading the series after really enjoying the TV show (I'm liking the books moreso, they flesh the world out better as books usually do). I'm about half-way...two thirds (?), through the first book and I'm wondering how essential the novellas are?

I'm assuming essential, in that I just answered my own question in saying that I like the world-building element of the books.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Snuffman posted:

Sorry if this is a thread bump, I've tried to keep myself as spoiler free as possible.

I've started reading the series after really enjoying the TV show (I'm liking the books moreso, they flesh the world out better as books usually do). I'm about half-way...two thirds (?), through the first book and I'm wondering how essential the novellas are?

I'm assuming essential, in that I just answered my own question in saying that I like the world-building element of the books.

You answered your own question. They aren't essential to understanding what's going on in future books, but they add a lot to the already fantastic world the authors have built.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Well, I really enjoyed the first book and the short story about Fred, let's go ahead and start into Caliban's War...

:stare:

Well that's certainly exciting and also frightening. But now I have to go back to work and that sucks!

e: o no, the coffee maker

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

drat it Holden.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

a kitten posted:

drat it Holden.

A common refrain in this series honestly.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

quote:

Amos had spent thirty grand during a stopover on Callisto, buying them some after-market engine upgrades. When Holden pointed out that the Roci was already capable of accelerating fast enough to kill her crew and asked why they’d need to upgrade her, Amos had replied, “Because this poo poo is awesome.”
I really like these books you guys.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008
New book comes out Dec 6th. Anyone know when the audio book normally comes out in relation?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
ugh, book comes out Dec 6th, I'll finish it by Dec 9th :( then its another year wait

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

ClassH posted:

New book comes out Dec 6th. Anyone know when the audio book normally comes out in relation?

Audible says that, in this case, the audio book releases on the same day--December 6th.

It probably helps that the book has been ready to publish for months. The only reason they've held it to December is because the television show's second season wasn't going to be ready until January.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Baloogan posted:

ugh, book comes out Dec 6th, I'll finish it by Dec 9th :( then its another year wait

Bet it's two years (as in mid 2018). The time put into the show slows them.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

ZombieLenin posted:

Audible says that, in this case, the audio book releases on the same day--December 6th.

It probably helps that the book has been ready to publish for months. The only reason they've held it to December is because the television show's second season wasn't going to be ready until January.

Awesome. I may need to have a refresher on the end of the last book before I start though.

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,
I'm itching for this release. Any hope it's already release somewhere?

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
It is in Canada. I picked it up yesterday.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

acumen posted:

It is in Canada. I picked it up yesterday.

Stupid Canadians. I hate you so much right now. :colbert:

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Halfway through BA: they pulled a loving 360 no scope

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Wow, I don't like anyone* in Cibola Burn so far. Just give me Holden and notMiller: lookin for dead aliens and drop rocks on the rest of these jerks.

I'm only a quarter in, maybe it'll change but drat.

*of the pov characters

a kitten fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Dec 3, 2016

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

a kitten posted:

I'm only a quarter in, maybe it'll change but drat.

Teaser spoiler: wait till you get to the death slugs

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

acumen posted:

Halfway through BA: they pulled a loving 360 no scope

I hate all of you.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Platystemon posted:

Teaser spoiler: wait till you get to the death slugs

They just turned up. And with that explosion...or whatever it was exactly, I'm once again back to thinking about Ian M Banks and idea of the Outside Context Problem.

e: oh god, Holden truthers.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Dec 4, 2016

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

So... was no one else disappointed when it turned out that the Protomolecule creators had been killed off by an even more powerful and unknowable alien race? It felt kind of unnecessary to trade one for the other.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

So... was no one else disappointed when it turned out that the Protomolecule creators had been killed off by an even more powerful and unknowable alien race? It felt kind of unnecessary to trade one for the other.
You know Babylon's Ashes isn't officially out yet, right? At least outside of Canada or whatever.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
That's from Cibola Burn though?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

acumen posted:

That's from Cibola Burn though?
Was it? drat, I look like a fool now. I didn't remember that at all. I thought their downfall was left mysterious.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Miller mentions it several times as the entire purpose of the investigator. Plus the eldritched eye of an angry god thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Collateral posted:

Miller mentions it several times as the entire purpose of the investigator. Plus the eldritched eye of an angry god thing.
So, I don't have the book in front of me, and it's been over a year since I read it, but I don't remember the thing being explicitly another alien race. I got the impression it could have been some really hosed up industrial accident, or something the protomolecule aliens did to themselves. Or if it was external, not so much an alien race as an unknown force. Like if they were gods tinkering with fundamental forces, they broke something fundamental and it destroyed them.

Was it explicitly aliens? If so, I would be disappointed and my poor memory is probably trying to protect me.