Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

ZombieLenin posted:

Sure, okay. But again you are taking about people migrating because of economic conditions to a boom economy. These people, by in large, were migrating to developed cities in the United States where they new a large number of industrial jobs were available.

These particular people were mostly migrating to as-yet thinly populated agricultural areas in the upper midwest, actually. Minnesota, Wisconsin and the Dakotas, more than anywhere else. But yeah, it was after the truly "unexplored frontier" era and there was some infrastructure and stuff in place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

mossyfisk posted:

I never understood how Belters could ever have an economy in this setting. Everything they do is based around cargo shipping, yet they suck at it. Why would you give your shipping contract to belters who have to burn at 0.5G or whatever, when you could get an Earther crew who can go at 1.2G?
They can lure in a crash couch with juice in then and burn at whatever G anyone else can. There have been some edge cases where the books say Naomi was less comfortable or whatever, but generally she's been find with all the crazy burns.

They just can't, you know, walk and live and stuff in 1G.

Plus, for all the shipping they do, the belt is mainly useful for the easy to access raw materials. Microgravity mining.

Honestly I don't know why they're becoming obsolete. You'll always want 0G industry and mining and stuff. All the other planets are down deep wells after all, it'd be silly to send raw materials up from those planets.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Eiba posted:

Honestly I don't know why they're becoming obsolete. You'll always want 0G industry and mining and stuff. All the other planets are down deep wells after all, it'd be silly to send raw materials up from those planets.

The Belter identity is rooted in living entirely in space. Why have and raise a child on Ganymede on even worse on Pallas or a ship on the float when you could have one on a planet with at least 1 G and a magnetosphere. The argument for devoting the kind of resources humanity did to the belt and similar projects pre-gates falls apart for a long time when there's thousands of new worlds to just land on. The mining operations that created the Belters as a people are going to become obsolete because the demands for the resources they provided are basically going to go away. Some of this changes with the nature of the universe post Nemesis Games, but in the long term deep space is going to end up being a place where settlements like Ceres, Eros, Pallas and the rest wont be as needed, and wont need to be crewed as permanently. The post-ring world would have deep space be most about transit - not settlement. and when the Belters become economically and politically marginal - they will die outside major intervention because the materials they need to survive will become too expensive for them to afford. The existence of the Epstein drive in this setting changes a lot of the economics of space, going up and down a gravity well isn't a costly thing in this setting compared to the real world, especially when you're discovering exoplanets that have been re-engineered into material depots out there.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
That whole line of thinking is just dramatic irony though. It isn't just the belter way of life that has become obsolete - the entire economy, every aspect of life, and probably humanity itself has become obsolete by the protomolecule. The rebel martians ain't coming back human.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

acumen posted:

BA + Speculation: They sorta did explain the disappearing ships and Laconia. The gates can only handle a certain amount of mass when transporting to the slow zone and the rest get vaporized. The second alien race that killed the protomolecule creators seem to have some sort of influence in that dimension or whatever though. Laconia/Duarte are being set up as the next big bad and pretty clearly have the last protomolecule sample which they're using to engineer new tech.

Also, anyone else think they've really set themselves up for a video game/mmo at this point, like they had originally planned? I wouldn't be surprised if one was in the works right now with where the plot is at.

Maybe I'm misremembering the end of Nemesis Games but didn't the Martian Warship carrying the protomolecule get munched by the gate on the way to Laconia?

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
The mad scientist, Cortazar, tells Captain Sauveterre that the protomolecule sample arrived intact, in a message before something happens in a book that was released last year.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
It feels like you should be able to protomolecule up the Belters so they can live wherever they want.

So far they've been using it to make fancy composite materials, but things are going to go a lot further as the technology develops.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I hope Marco doesn’t come back. Murty was a better antagonist. But I expect he will return in some form. That’s generally how mysterious disappearances work in fiction.

Also, what was with all the foreshadowing about the Protomolecule‐inspired Unobtanium composite? Red herring, or will there be something wrong with it, specifically?

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Dec 12, 2016

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Nemesis Games is stressing me out. I think I'm at the part where the poo poo is going to hit the fan (Naomi just got grabbed, Amos is having a nice time on earth, Holden just rescued the reporter, and Alex just got targeted by a mystery ship) and i find myself too nervous to read straight through and am posting here as a distraction.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Platystemon posted:

I hope Marco doesn’t come back. Murty was a better antagonist. But I expect he will return in some form. That’s generally how mysterious disappearances work in fiction.

Also, what was with all the foreshadowing about the Protomolecule‐inspired Unobtanium composite? Red herring, or will there be something wrong with it, specifically?

Marco is such an absolute oval office I'd be happy with the entirety of Belter civilization and identity being destroyed just to spite him.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

ATP_Power posted:

The Belter identity is rooted in living entirely in space. Why have and raise a child on Ganymede on even worse on Pallas or a ship on the float when you could have one on a planet with at least 1 G and a magnetosphere. The argument for devoting the kind of resources humanity did to the belt and similar projects pre-gates falls apart for a long time when there's thousands of new worlds to just land on. The mining operations that created the Belters as a people are going to become obsolete because the demands for the resources they provided are basically going to go away. Some of this changes with the nature of the universe post Nemesis Games, but in the long term deep space is going to end up being a place where settlements like Ceres, Eros, Pallas and the rest wont be as needed, and wont need to be crewed as permanently. The post-ring world would have deep space be most about transit - not settlement. and when the Belters become economically and politically marginal - they will die outside major intervention because the materials they need to survive will become too expensive for them to afford. The existence of the Epstein drive in this setting changes a lot of the economics of space, going up and down a gravity well isn't a costly thing in this setting compared to the real world, especially when you're discovering exoplanets that have been re-engineered into material depots out there.
Problem is that it'll always be easier to mine in a microgravity environment, especially with an already extant labor source and infrastructure, than to mine at the bottom of a gravity well and then expend the energy necessary to send those materials into orbit.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Ah, yeah that's bad. RIP earth.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I lol'ing so hard at this series being considered "hard sci-fi" by the OP. So very hard.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mars4523 posted:

Problem is that it'll always be easier to mine in a microgravity environment, especially with an already extant labor source and infrastructure, than to mine at the bottom of a gravity well and then expend the energy necessary to send those materials into orbit.

There’s no need to move raw materials between worlds.

For the foreseeable future, belters are needed for moving high technology and complex organics to primitive worlds as well as constructing spacefaring vessels.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Rime posted:

I lol'ing so hard at this series being considered "hard sci-fi" by the OP. So very hard.
It's not a binary thing. Although it does start slipping towards the softer end of the scale by the time you're done with the first novel, "fairly hard" is a reasonable description IMO.

And even hard sci fi is going to have some impossible things in it, just because if it didn't it wouldn't be sci fi.... It'd just be fi.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
As I see it, there are two essentially magic technologies at the beginning: the Epstein drive and the “juice” that keeps acceleration from killing a person.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

tooterfish posted:

It'd just be fi.

Non-fi :v:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

If history is anything to go by people will be travelling and trading as soon or sooner than it's remotely practical. Even with a frontier to settle people don't wall themselves off and do nothing but internal infrastructure until they're caught up to developed nations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’m surprised Amos’ gangster buddies weren’t mentioned.

I wonder what they’re up to.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Strategic Tea posted:

If history is anything to go by people will be travelling and trading as soon or sooner than it's remotely practical. Even with a frontier to settle people don't wall themselves off and do nothing but internal infrastructure until they're caught up to developed nations.

The exception being, religions, cults and political extremes.

There is also the possibility certainty, over the long term, of a mega corp sealing off a planet for the purposes of slave-like production mind control fuckery. Like, make a religion where the people/slaves are producing products (like plastics) as an offering to the gods, who usually export it. I read something like this in a book a forget the name of right now. You would have to have very strong political oversight (i.e. very big guns and an, almost religious, willingness to destroy anybody if they gently caress around) of trans-system corporations to make sure this kind of thing doesn't happen. If a corporation dominates a system, it would become the de facto government and could would abuse its citizenry in pursuit of greater profit.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Babylon’s Ashes felt more like a part 2 than a stand alone book. Also I'm pretty sure the gate-overload gimmick is the same magicks by which socks go missing from overloaded dryers.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The overload gimmick is dumb. For one thing, why are the gates so gorram big if one overclocked ice freighter represents enough mass/energy to redline them?

Did the Forerunners pilot ships made of styrofoam and propelled by wet farts?

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Platystemon posted:

The overload gimmick is dumb. For one thing, why are the gates so gorram big if one overclocked ice freighter represents enough mass/energy to redline them?

Did the Forerunners pilot ships made of styrofoam and propelled by wet farts?

Given the poo poo Eros was able to do when it was infected and the insane durability of protomolecule manufactured materials and stuff I wouldn't be surprised at all if their ships were just a magnetically contained ball of gas suspended around an engine.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

There is also the possibility that the 'overload' is completely intentional. We have no idea how the aliens that created the protomolecule created anything, much less why, so having a feature where certain objects are rerouted god knows where for reasons only known to them may not be a flaw at all.

(Homer throws an orange into a vortex and it disappears.)
Homer: Hey, pretty slick!
(A crumpled wad of paper flies back out of the vortex and Lisa reads it.)
Lisa: Quit throwing your garbage into our dimension.

Blackchamber fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Dec 14, 2016

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I considered the possibility that it was a remnant of the security system that enforced a speed limit in the slow zone. Who knows if the speed limit would have applied to the alien propulsion method Eros used?

If you have magical bullshit drives and your enemy doesn’t, it would make sense for your ring gates to reject HIGH ENERGY objects.

But if that’s the case, why didn’t The Investigator disable it, and why is the overloading object itself is not re‐routed to the ~alien dimension~?

I can’t imagine why you’d want the fate of an incoming ship to depend on how much energy other ships transiting other gates were using.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Again, not enough information to determine whats going on. Perhaps an overloading ship is allowed to pass through so if it blows up it does so outside the slow zone and moves the incoming ships to a safe location. Maybe slow zone doesn't see it as an overload at all and as a different profile. Maybe its not a safety feature at all.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
It might be a remnant of the counter measures they used against whatever eat them. The gates would have been used almost exclusively for resource transfer by their builders so something is wrong with them.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

a kitten posted:

Ah, yeah that's bad. RIP earth.

Yeah, it's pretty bad. Though I think all the hullaboo about "Earth's done" isn't all it's cut out to be; according to estimates by the end of BA, half of the population was dead and half of the ones that were left were dying; something like ten percent weren't in strained conditions, which still leaves like 3 billion people doing fine and maybe 3 billion more on the edge but not in immediate danger. That's still the biggest catastrophe/genocide in human history, but by the time it levels out Earth will still be the most populated place in humanity, and likely will be for the foreseeable future thanks to the fact that the gate worlds have incompatible biology. Earth won't ever be as central as it was before, but it's not in danger of ever becoming a backwater or cleared out for good the way Mars and the Belt are. Avasarala's hamming it up for the camera, as usual.

Speaking of end-of-BA-spoilers, gently caress Marco with a rusty railgun; getting eaten by gatespace Cthulhu is too good a fate for the worst war criminal in human history.

Quorum fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Dec 15, 2016

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

I think that Earth is well poised for a pretty massive comeback. If it happened to us now, we'd be hosed because we still rely on traditional agriculture, but future Earth already has the technology to 1. Mass produce food in artificial conditions and 2. Power said production through a fusion reaction process.

Nations that survive major devastation can rebuild quite efficiently of the source of the underlying the devastation is removed. The majority of infrastructure goes to supporting population and standard of living. When the population drops to a sustainable level, whatever that is, any new development (which will almost assuredly be more efficient than whatever it replaces) is bonus capacity.

Pre-bombardment Earth was sufficiently overpopulated that the vast majority of people on the planet were idle. Bureaucratic infighting and the massive numbers of mouths to feed was what kept Earth from (even more) completely dominating the solar system. Halved, even quartered, the planet has more than enough of a population to rebuild and reorganize around a common goal. Rebuilding Eden is an organizing concept in the same vein as Building Eden was for the Martians and anyone who doesn't get on board with the plan can be boarded of to some random rear end New Australia beyond the gates.

They're in no worse position than any of the new worlds. However damaged the biosphere is it is at least base compatible with flora and fauna. I imagine it's easier to adapt sea algea to cope with altered native conditions than it is to an alien biosphere. Between areas that were leveled and areas that were previously undesirable because of climate change there will be plenty of land that can be redeveloped faster than building an equivalent on Mars, in the belt, or on a fledgling colony world.

Edit: I guess that my optimism presupposes a unified government which makes sense based on what we've seen. I don't recall a POV of a single character that considered a deeper nationality than Earth. Anna was sort-of Russian, but it didn't stop her from living in Africa. If that's not true it complicates the situation but the U. N. as presented seems to be a collection of states more akin to the modern U.S.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Dec 15, 2016

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Seriously, Marco is at least four hundred Hitlers, and that’s if we attribute all deaths in the European theatre to Hitler (combat, Holocaust, famine, &c.).

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Dec 15, 2016

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Was Dawes on the genocide train from the jump? The character really grew on me based on Jared Harris' work on the T. V. show, so I hope he doesn't get lynched.

Filip InarosNagata is well and truly hosed. Good luck Patty Hearsting your way out of 3 billion counts of murder in the first. What kind of gently caress up doesn't make up a straight new name? I picture a clearly conflicted kid nervously telling a WW2 Russian officer that his name is Steve Braun, no relation.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Was Dawes on the genocide train from the jump? The character really grew on me based on Jared Harris' work on the T. V. show, so I hope he doesn't get lynched.
It''s kind of horrifying how many characters got on board the genocide train to be honest. Like, I get most of them are just joining up with the guy who hosed those drat Earthers, but... Jesus do all those billions really mean nothing? The breaking point for most of them was the tactically reasonable decision to leave Ceres. That is your breaking point after your leader killed more people than even existed for most of human history?

Like, I'm trying to imagine it. Say China ruled the world and was loving with the livelihoods of the people around me and we were all scared if our way of life was going to survive or not... how hosed up would stuff have to get before a nuke going off in Shanghai wasn't something that would reduce me to tears at the incomprehensible tragedy of it? I know the whole point was that each side stopped seeing the other as meaningfully human, but... I still don't get it.

Hitler made more sense, 'cause the Holocaust wasn't a propaganda point. It was something he was quietly doing because he thought he had to, and if it bothered ordinary Germans, they could pretend they didn't know about it (even though they obviously did), and concentrate on the "good" stuff he was doing for Germany.

I guess the obvious comparison is people celebrating on 9/11, but even that is several orders of magnitude smaller scale. Or those weirdos online who were bizarrely triumphal when the Japanese tsunami happened because of Pearl Harbor generations ago. I guess... some people just can't comprehend mass tragedy? Most people?

I'm having a lot of trouble wrapping my head around any of it, but I guess it's not necessarily unrealistic. I guess I would have expected more hand wringing at least from someone like Michio Pa, if not other Free Navy supporters.

Because holy poo poo a ton of people died... every time they mentioned the state of the Earth, especially when they gave numbers, I couldn't help but get overwhelmed and tear up. It was loving horrific.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

Eiba posted:

Like, I'm trying to imagine it. Say China ruled the world and was loving with the livelihoods of the people around me and we were all scared if our way of life was going to survive or not... how hosed up would stuff have to get before a nuke going off in Shanghai wasn't something that would reduce me to tears at the incomprehensible tragedy of it? I know the whole point was that each side stopped seeing the other as meaningfully human, but... I still don't get it.

I guess the obvious comparison is people celebrating on 9/11...

How is the fact that we dropped a nuke on Japan, then we dropped a bigger one on them, and we didn't even really need to, the war was essentially over at that point, we just wouldn't accept anything other than unconditional surrender and they didn't want to give that, not the obvious comparison?

It was what, like the '80s before we finally said, "uh, sorry." and left it at that.

Maybe you'd cry, maybe a lot of people would, but that wouldn't stop it from happening or the people responsible from rationalizing.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

wellwhoopdedooo posted:

How is the fact that we dropped a nuke on Japan, then we dropped a bigger one on them, and we didn't even really need to, the war was essentially over at that point, we just wouldn't accept anything other than unconditional surrender and they didn't want to give that, not the obvious comparison?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZVArXuN3Bs

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

There's a certain pragmatism involved I think, but I'm trying to find an appropriate metaphor. Like imagine you're shoved into a locked room with a grizzly bear and some random dude. The bear is hurt and confused the guy is just pummeling the poo poo out of it. If I'm on the outside looking in, I feel bad for the bear because that poo poo is cruel. If I'm on the inside, I'm going to work with that guy to kill the bear before it gets its bearings and realizes that humans are 1. Assholes, and 2. Easy to gently caress up.

Basically, I don't trust an angry bear to differentiate between good humans and bad humans.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
There's definitely a comparison to be made there: when the atomic bombs were dropped, they'd never been used in war before, and the horror of what happened when they were (combined with the swift expansion of their availability and effectiveness) has thus-far prevented further use. Dropping giant gently caress-off asteroids down a gravity well also hadn't ever been done before; I think a lot of the Belters are suggested to be pretty horrified, but also not really able to deal with the horror right now thanks to the immediate exigencies of the war.

That's part of what Holden was trying to inspire with his sappy broadcasts; people start picking up the idea and showing off the humanitarian crisis that's happened on Earth, and it's what sparks a few of the Belter characters to not be such dickheads and consider rebellion.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

The question i have now is: do i just plow right into Babylon's Ashes, or should i hold out and read something else for a bit?
Keep in mind that i've read nothing but Expanse novels since starting Leviathan Wakes a few weeks ago. Even after telling myself to chill out and maybe space them out a little bit for crying out loud.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

a kitten posted:

The question i have now is: do i just plow right into Babylon's Ashes, or should i hold out and read something else for a bit?
Keep in mind that i've read nothing but Expanse novels since starting Leviathan Wakes a few weeks ago. Even after telling myself to chill out and maybe space them out a little bit for crying out loud.

Babylon’s Ashes is like Nemesis Games Part Deux, so just plough into it.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

If anything, the authors have vastly under-estimated the rage that would exist. Consider the non-ironic calls to nuke Mecca after 9/11 (which killed .0001% of the population). James Holden's This Ganymedeian Life notwithstanding, Earth is going to want blood. It's probably a good thing that the actual elected government died off leaving the civil service in charge because the politically expedient move would be straight up belter genocide. Even strategically, your best bet to kill a pirate navy is to eliminate its support faculties, which means a methodical campaign of total war where you occupy or destroy every settlement from the core outward.

Innocent caught in the crossfire? Tough poo poo, pal. I don't have the resources to garrison Ceres so we're forming two lines. This line is for Earthers we know to be loyal. That other line ends at the airlock.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Dec 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Really, now that I think about it, the logical response would be to forcibly remove the Belters and strictly limit in system spaceflight.