Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Killing every belter would still only be like one half of one percent as bad as what Marco did.

page 2 of Leviathan Wakes posted:

If you asked OPA recruiters when they were drunk and feeling expansive, they might say there were a hundred million in the Belt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

wellwhoopdedooo posted:

How is the fact that we dropped a nuke on Japan, then we dropped a bigger one on them, and we didn't even really need to, the war was essentially over at that point, we just wouldn't accept anything other than unconditional surrender and they didn't want to give that, not the obvious comparison?

It was what, like the '80s before we finally said, "uh, sorry." and left it at that.

Maybe you'd cry, maybe a lot of people would, but that wouldn't stop it from happening or the people responsible from rationalizing.
Huh, I guess that's a pretty good comparison. In my mind the atomic bomb is wrapped up in a lot of other things, like the end of the war and the start of the cold war and so on... the general policy of firebombing civilian areas seems like it was easily justified for people at the time as the hard and pragmatic thing that needed to be done to end the war (that the other guys started) as soon as possible and save lives overall.

But if something like that can get wrapped up in a lot of other things, I suppose the destruction of Earth could feel the same to Belters (except for the "saving lives overall" part, as more than half of humanity might be dead by the end of this). It's still hard to imagine, but that comparison helps- especially the fact that I didn't think of it and had it in a kind of separate mental box is probably exactly how people would justify accepting the horror and moving on.

Even if one legitimately believes the atomic bomb was justified, that just makes the point even more clearly that death on that scale can be justified if it's what "needed to be done."

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

If anything, the authors have vastly under-estimated the rage that would exist. Consider the non-ironic calls to nuke Mecca after 9/11 (which killed .0001% of the population). James Holden's This Ganymedeian Life notwithstanding, Earth is going to want blood. It's probably a good thing that the actual elected government died off leaving the civil service in charge because the politically expedient move would be straight up belter genocide. Even strategically, your best bet to kill a pirate navy is to eliminate its support faculties, which means a methodical campaign of total war where you occupy or destroy every settlement from the core outward.

Innocent caught in the crossfire? Tough poo poo, pal. I don't have the resources to garrison Ceres so we're forming two lines. This line is for Earthers we know to be loyal. That other line ends at the airlock.
Actually, that's a good point too. Given the huge population disparity, and the absolutely incomprehensible amount of blood already spilled devaluing peoples sense of the value of life, launching an extermination campaign against the belt seems like an almost reasonable position.

Marco's genocide was so unprecedented in its scale, you'd think there would be commensurately extreme emotional reactions, but instead people more or less get on with doing what they think they need to do.

I don't know if that's a weird reaction, or a plausibly mundane one.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Seriously, Marco is at least four hundred Hitlers, and that’s if we attribute all deaths in the European theatre to Hitler (combat, Holocaust, famine, &c.).

This reminds me of an extremely old and good post

quote:

One hitler shall henceforth be a unit of measurement equal to 6.0*106 human deaths.
Standard SI prefixes apply. Thus Harold Shipman's achievements amount to 36 microhitlers.

The true utility of the hitler as an SI unit is it allows useful unit conversions.
For example: the EPA currently values a human life as being worth 6.9 million us dollars (6.9 megadollars). A simple unit conversion thus gives us 1 hitler is equivalent to -41,400,000,000,000 dollars. (-41 teradollars).

It can therefore be quantitatively established whether or not someone is "worse than hitler". When congress failed to pass a stimulus bill in 2008 the market lost 1.2 trillion dollars in 1 day, roughly equivalent to 29 millihitlers. Joseph Stalin is the only human I know of who can be called worse than hitler, as his achievements clocked roughly 5 hitlers.

When your bank nails you with a 35 dollar fine, you can confidently tell the teller that they are currently loving you over to the tune of 84 picohitlers and ask if they have a very tiny auschwitz behind the counter.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Eiba posted:

I don't know if that's a weird reaction, or a plausibly mundane one.

I think it is plausible. I mean, belters are their own culture. They have their own language and even look different, being flat out physiologically unsuited to live on a gravity well.

Combine that, with the fact that such a level of destruction is just unfathomable to most people then, yeah, I think it's reasonable that so many people don't really care.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I think a closer comparison would be if 90% of Japan was plunged into the sea, completely destoying all infrastructure, cultural heritage and continuity with the pre war government.

E: also it's all of East Asia that's destroyed instead of only Japan. Like belters and earth, most of the western population has never even seen East Asia!

Strategic Tea fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Dec 15, 2016

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
The equivalent belter population would be Clacton on Sea. Nobody would miss them.

In the comparison with the bombing of Japan, the terrifying unintended consequence was 70+ years of disaster manga/anime. Earth should flood the belt with poorly drawn and plotted animation for 1000 years in punishment.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

That's cruel and unusual, lobbing asteroids is far more defensible in court.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
Trying to think back to previous books, but are space elevators mentioned anywhere? Seems like a natural thing within the setting and has to be more efficient that shuttling people up and down wells on ships.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Der Luftwaffle posted:

Trying to think back to previous books, but are space elevators mentioned anywhere? Seems like a natural thing within the setting and has to be more efficient that shuttling people up and down wells on ships.

IIRC they have mass drivers to deliver cargo, but I’m pretty sure there are no space elevators.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
Nope but I'm at least reasonably certain that's one of the places all this protomolecule-inspired materials science is going.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
Anything can be "justified" depending on perspective; however, in the case of the belt killing off billions on the Earth, there are certain material considerations that all but the blind should see, which would stop you.

First and foremost there is the economic issue. The belt still relies almost completely on the heavy industry and agriculture of the inners. You disrupt the Earth on a massive scale, you're loving your self forever--even that splinter OPA "we can make a sustainable economy in 3 years..." stuff is bullshit.

Yes, if everything goes right, we won't just start dying off in mass from station failures and starvation, maybe. We will have a seriously worse standard of living and all be laboring in collective farms--if we are lucky.

Then there is the issue of mutually your assured destruction. Sure Earth lost its nukes; however, its surprisingly easy to build more. Moreover, even with half the population gone the productive force of Earth would dwarf the belt.

The only analogy here to the Second World War is this: the belt, not the Earth, is Japan. You're the small power now facing 4/5th (when you add Mars) of the productive capacity of the solar system, and since you've set the genocidal tone for the conflict, you have to hope that when they come with irresistible force (and they will come), the sane government that buys norms like human rights has weathered the storm you caused is leading the charge.

Because chances are pretty good that the sane government will have bee replaced by people with a mandate to make the belt pay in blood for the death of billions of people on earth.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Dec 20, 2016

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Also, mass driven rocks work both ways and the belt doesn't have an atmosphere to burn off small projectiles. A dump truck worth of gravel could straight gently caress up almost any man-made structure in the belt with a predictable orbit.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

ZombieLenin posted:

The only analogy here to the Second World War is this: the belt, not the Earth, is Japan. You're the small power now facing 4/5th (when you add Mars) of the productive capacity of the solar system, and since you've set the genocidal tone for the conflict, you have to hope that when they come with irresistible force (and they will come), the sane government that buys norms like human rights has weathered the storm you caused is leading the charge.

Because chances are pretty good that the sane government will have bee replaced by people with a mandate to make the belt pay in blood for the death of billions of people on earth.
Which is why it's convenient that Avarsala, who is willing to move forward without any reprisal genocide, is de facto dictator of Earth.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I can only assume that no one has posed a serious threat to Avasarala’s power because everyone is too busy just surviving.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Which may be a giant mistake. We've taken for granted that the U.N. is U.

Pyzza Rouge
Jun 25, 2011

La Mano de Dios

Platystemon posted:

I considered the possibility that it was a remnant of the security system that enforced a speed limit in the slow zone. Who knows if the speed limit would have applied to the alien propulsion method Eros used?

If you have magical bullshit drives and your enemy doesn’t, it would make sense for your ring gates to reject HIGH ENERGY objects.

But if that’s the case, why didn’t The Investigator disable it, and why is the overloading object itself is not re‐routed to the ~alien dimension~?

I can’t imagine why you’d want the fate of an incoming ship to depend on how much energy other ships transiting other gates were using.

It's likely simply a hard limit on the energy/mass the slow zone hub can transport in a certain window, just like Naomi discovered. The hub, which I assume powers the actual transfer between dimensions, may have a limit to its energy production.

Considering their capacity, the previous occupants of the slow zone would have waited significantly longer than the two minute window required to vanish Marco's ships to avoid the effect. Had the Sol gate been established with humans still farting through space with chemical propulsion, it's possible they wouldn't have even triggered the limitation.

Just because the gates' builders considered physical laws a joke doesn't mean they had clowned interdimensional travel as thoroughly. And the way the mass ghosts seem connected to gate travel it may have been the establishment of slow zones that started the previous race's extinction.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Which may be a giant mistake. We've taken for granted that the U.N. is U.

Anyone short of Duarte taking out Avasarala would feel... inadequate. Returning to his home system with superweapons, achieving a bloodless surrender, then executing his biggest political rival would be a hell of a way to start book 7, and set a contrast to Marco's sloppy space-rock-genocide-then-war strategy.

If ol' "Ragin'" Chrisjen Avasarala actually bit the big one it'd honestly hit me harder than any character in the series. Even more than Amos or Peaches.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I loved a lot of details in the latest book. One I was just thinking of was the scene with Alex in the bar when things were going well with that woman (whose name I forget). Things are going well, they're all drunk and she's flirting heavily with him, and he thinks he might be in for a fun time that night, so he slips off to the bathroom and gets a packet from a dispenser.

And it turns out it's anti-narcotics because they're going to be doing something everyone needs to fully consent to.

And when she sees it she's like, "aww yeah."

It was both a funny twist, and another heartwarming example of modern problems being unremarkable basic decency in the future. :unsmith:

Pyzza Rouge posted:

Anyone short of Duarte taking out Avasarala would feel... inadequate. Returning to his home system with superweapons, achieving a bloodless surrender, then executing his biggest political rival would be a hell of a way to start book 7, and set a contrast to Marco's sloppy space-rock-genocide-then-war strategy.

If ol' "Ragin'" Chrisjen Avasarala actually bit the big one it'd honestly hit me harder than any character in the series. Even more than Amos or Peaches.
It would make sense if she were taken out by irrational messy small forces from within, after she's been such a powerful centralizing force protecting Earth from its enemies.

It's kind of odd how the Belt and Mars and every other group has been wracked by incredible internal conflict (the Free Navy split from the OPA, and itself spawned Pa's Pirate fleet; internal divisions in Mars's navy are what set this whole hosed up series of events off) while the Earth has been, if not physically unscathed, remarkably politically stable. I wonder if it's a testament to how precarious the new institutions are on the frontier, or a lack of imagination from the authors, or simply the fact that the Earth is in a defensive/reactive position, and dissenting factions haven't been able to do anything because Earth in general can't do anything.

In any case, I would be surprised if we didn't end up seeing serious unrest on Earth before the end of the series.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
I expect they are waiting for the right moment. Like once all the hard work is done.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

It was probably hard to stir up the masses when all they had to lose was their chainsa life where toil was entirely optional.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
Or maybe the plot would have been too complicated?

I was kind of surprised that Mao didn't kill Marco, because they kept saying he underestimates women and who is more dangerous to underestimate than her? Naomi apparently.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
They never interact though? Unless you mean Pa? In which case she never had an opportunity. He had a dozen gunships surrounding his insecure arse all the time. They were bigger and faster than her three ships.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

Collateral posted:

They never interact though? Unless you mean Pa? In which case she never had an opportunity. He had a dozen gunships surrounding his insecure arse all the time. They were bigger and faster than her three ships.

I mean Clarissa Mao. I thought she and some of the rest of the Roci crew might be captured, then while Marco is gloating she turns his head completely around. I understand that it did not turn out that way. She is just made to be underestimated.

Pyzza Rouge
Jun 25, 2011

La Mano de Dios

Eiba posted:

I loved a lot of details in the latest book. One I was just thinking of was the scene with Alex in the bar when things were going well with that woman (whose name I forget). Things are going well, they're all drunk and she's flirting heavily with him, and he thinks he might be in for a fun time that night, so he slips off to the bathroom and gets a packet from a dispenser.

And it turns out it's anti-narcotics because they're going to be doing something everyone needs to fully consent to.

And when she sees it she's like, "aww yeah."

It was both a funny twist, and another heartwarming example of modern problems being unremarkable basic decency in the future. :unsmith:

Yeah I enjoyed it more than any book in the series so far. Going with so many already well-developed PoV characters was a big factor for me.

E.g. Having a solid Amos chapter without having had several previous chapters to get used to his voice made it super enjoyable, despite the fact it was all for a quiet Holden character development moment.

Praxidike's Family Time was similarly enjoyable, though I still hope the effects of his actions will have a bigger impact later. Just didn't feel very necessary plotwise.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Pyzza Rouge posted:

Yeah I enjoyed it more than any book in the series so far. Going with so many already well-developed PoV characters was a big factor for me.

E.g. Having a solid Amos chapter without having had several previous chapters to get used to his voice made it super enjoyable, despite the fact it was all for a quiet Holden character development moment.

Praxidike's Family Time was similarly enjoyable, though I still hope the effects of his actions will have a bigger impact later. Just didn't feel very necessary plotwise.

It was weird to me, I agree with everything you're saying, but I was left a little disappointed by the ending.

Vanishing Marco to save the day seemed a little deus ex machina, and there was finality to the ending I didn't expect at all.

The last few books, all them until now really, were very cliff hangary. Some in the epilogue, and some in just the meat of the ending.

This one, I was like, well there is the missing mars fleet, but pretty much everything else is wrapped up, including a new political solution to what's been going on for most of the series.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

ZombieLenin posted:

It was weird to me, I agree with everything you're saying, but I was left a little disappointed by the ending.

Vanishing Marco to save the day seemed a little deus ex machina, and there was finality to the ending I didn't expect at all.

The last few books, all them until now really, were very cliff hangary. Some in the epilogue, and some in just the meat of the ending.

This one, I was like, well there is the missing mars fleet, but pretty much everything else is wrapped up, including a new political solution to what's been going on for most of the series.

Yes this book pretty clearly marks a turning point from threats from inside of the Solar system to threats outside of it.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Bozart posted:

Yes this book pretty clearly marks a turning point from threats from inside of the Solar system to threats outside of it.

Do you think? I mean the first arc of the story all about about existential threats posed by the pm other. Helped by humans, of course. Given that Mars fleet beyond the gate I don't think that will change much.

Really it's only been the last couple books where the outside truly "alien" threat wasn't the existential threat.

I guess they tried really hard to resolve the internal social fractures amongst people in the solar system; however, if the authors are smart (and they clearly are), I can't help but think that things haven't been resolved as neatly as the appear. They couldn't be, without springing the whole superstructure of the human organization of labor into the air.

They've gotten close to that, but always pull back at the final moment.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Dec 25, 2016

Pyzza Rouge
Jun 25, 2011

La Mano de Dios

ZombieLenin posted:

At the very least, there was an opportunity to reveal a bit more about how the ghosts work with Marco. I certainly wouldn't have minded him getting explicitly eaten either.

The ending was definitely the weakest bit. Between the peace conference and the gate trick nothing felt like a solid win.

The books are okay about setting up and swerving to big moments. But once they arrive there's not enough drama poured into them, at least for my tastes.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

The Expanse (2015– )
Trivia

The series title "The Expanse" is based on the large void that exists between the ears of the two writers.

69 of 69 found this interesting | Share this

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ZombieLenin posted:

Marco was a boring character who never should have lived past Nemesis Games. But I wouldn’t be surprised if he returns somehow. Magical disappearances do tend to leave that as a possibility.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

A human heart posted:

The Expanse (2015– )
Trivia

The series title "The Expanse" is based on the large void that exists between the ears of the two writers.

69 of 69 found this interesting | Share this

Nothing better to do tonight then threadshit all over the place, huh? gently caress off.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Phanatic posted:

Nothing better to do tonight then threadshit all over the place, huh? gently caress off.

I thought this thread would appreciate knowing some interesting facts.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

A human heart posted:

Yes, we would appreciate that. Unfortunately you don't seem inclined to oblige

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
The thing about the ending is, I don't think it's the ripple killing them. I think the fact that they keep saying x "never even saw what killed them" is implying that the either whatever's actually causing the "disintegration" effect or something afterwards is being drawn to the energy backlash and gobbling the ships up. I mean, this is entirely my interpretation, but I can't shake it from my mind.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Folks saying we never saw Earth have a split like the other factions did: we did. Nguyen, Errinwright and Mao were Earth's big factional infighting split. It's just that who they were trying to coup was Chrisjen motherfucking Avasarala.

Pinely
Jul 23, 2013
College Slice

The Muffinlord posted:

The thing about the ending is, I don't think it's the ripple killing them. I think the fact that they keep saying x "never even saw what killed them" is implying that the either whatever's actually causing the "disintegration" effect or something afterwards is being drawn to the energy backlash and gobbling the ships up. I mean, this is entirely my interpretation, but I can't shake it from my mind.

Yeah, my theory is that the effect they experience is a safety mechanism of some sort that pulls them out of our physical space into whatever funky space the gate builders used. They'd be safely held there until the congestion lowered.

Except, something killed the gate builders and did so in that funky space. So, instead of being held safely they get gobbled up by whatever killed the gate builders.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
I think the weird darkness in the in-between wormhole space is the thing that killed the protomolecule builders, but I don't think it came from there. I think some of them just got stuck there and have been hanging out for a few dozen million years. Then someone stumbles on them and they do what they do.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

My favorite "twist" so far, and the thing that gives me most hope about the things between the gates, is how they handled the protomolecule mystery.

Here's this crazy weird goop that turns people into zombies and repurposes them in horrific ways... and its original destination was Earth. Clearly it was an attack, or some attempt to wipe out life on Earth before it could evolve past the stage of bacteria. There's all this hand-wringing insecurity about this malevolent extra terrestrial force and what it means.

But as it turns out it was just a mindless automated gate builder, doing its mindless automated gate building thing. It was never an antagonist. There wasn't any sort of destructive purpose or threat behind any of its actions. It was just an uncaring unthinking force.

And the good bit was, it looked like a threat. Like an attack. But in retrospect all of its actions make sense simply as an automated constructor.

So I trust that these things between the gates are similar. Not attacking aliens or a weapon gone rogue, but some sort of industrial accident with an otherwise understandable, entirely mundane "motive".

At least that's what I hope. It's pretty clear that this series is never going to go "the real enemy was space aliens!" at least. Humanity is its own enemy. All wounds are self inflicted, facilitated by the illusion of otherness. This is a good series.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I love the detail that the aliens died off literally a billion years ago. Completely nips in the bud any theory that we're their descendants, or murderers, or designs, or that there's any special connection at all between earth and their civilization.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

A human heart posted:

Given a choice, I would punch you in the throat. Unfortunately, that is not possible. I guess it isn't interesting enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Jew it to it! posted:

Given a choice, I would punch you in the throat. Unfortunately, that is not possible. I guess it isn't interesting enough.

You'd punch someone for posting a joke on a web site?