Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

A human heart posted:

You'd punch someone for posting a joke on a web site?

It depends on the joke. I can't think of one that would literally make me want to punch someone in the throat; however, I do not feel comfortable ruling out of the realm of possibility that someone could come up with such a joke, then post it.

So... maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I recently moved so my commute to work got a lot longer, and I've started using Audible to cope. Naturally I decided to get the audiobooks of the series, and was pleasantly surprised to find that I get a deep discount for already owning the Kindle versions.

Jefferson Mays is a pretty good narrator. But after tackling the novellas a little early, I'm not looking forward to having Erik Davies read the entirety of the fourth book to me. His voices are good, but too cartoony--they sound like they belong in an anime dub.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Double posting because speaking of the loving devil: https://www.reddit.com/r/TheExpanse/comments/5lu9ag/jefferson_mays_to_rerecord_cibola_burn_audiobook/

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

ZombieLenin posted:

Because chances are pretty good that the sane government will have bee replaced by people with a mandate to make the belt pay in blood for the death of billions of people on earth.

Babylon's Ashes was just tonally off. It pushes for themes of forgiveness and reconciliation in the midst of mundicide. When Holden rolls his eyes and was about to scold his dad for making a racist comment and when he disarmed the torpedos against Marco I wanted to put the book down. It gave me Abbadon's Gate vibes all over.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Holden would have spared Hitler for Eva Braun’s sake.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

I don't think Jeff can save Elvi

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Platystemon posted:

Holden would have spared Hitler for Eva Braun’s sake.

He would tell a jew about to be sent into the oven that not all Germans are bad.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

gohmak posted:

He would tell a jew about to be sent into the oven that not all Germans are bad.

Platystemon posted:

Killing every belter would still only be like one half of one percent as bad as what Marco did.

In proportional terms, it would be like bombing Bielefeld (a city small enough that there’s a popular joke that it does not exist) to kill Hitler and prevent the War.

I’m not saying it’s the Right Thing to Do, but it would have wild popular support and I can’t blame them. Not in a universe where Michio “butcher of New York” Pa is a Good Guy™ and Chrisjen “turn the other cheek” Avasarala is “Machiavellian”.

Letting Pa lead the spacing guild is like letting Göring lead the Marshall Plan.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jan 4, 2017

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Well drat if this isn't some fantastic news! It'll be nice to have the whole series properly done.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Platystemon posted:

In proportional terms, it would be like bombing Bielefeld (a city small enough that there’s a popular joke that it does not exist) to kill Hitler and prevent the War.

I’m not saying it’s the Right Thing to Do, but it would have wild popular support and I can’t blame them. Not in a universe where Michio “butcher of New York” Pa is a Good Guy™ and Chrisjen “turn the other cheek” Avasarala is “Machiavellian”.

Letting Pa lead the spacing guild is like letting Göring lead the Marshall Plan.

Its like Operation Paperclip and Unit 731 amnesty without medical and technological payoffs.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The compromise to “give amnesty and high office to space Göring” and “kill all Belters” is “heavily restrict spaceflight in the Sol system”.

It effectively exiles Belters or at least puts them under house arrest (on stations or moons that are mostly self‐sufficient), but that is 100% justified given the loss of life that would result from a single additional meteor strike.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
This is a spot on review from Goodreads

quote:

Two stars is not awful, but it's a definite step down from the ratings I gave to earlier books in the series like Cibola Burn and Nemesis Games. So was this book, sadly. It's not bad, but it's not nearly as good as I was hoping for.

What went wrong?

1. The villain is lame

Marko is the bad guy. In the last book, he destroyed the Earth and killed 15,000,000,000 human beings. In this book, he is the world's least competent military commander and basically just an insecure, loser ex-boyfriend. He doesn't have a single tactical insight, he has literally no strategy, he loses every single engagement, he spends quite a lot of time hiding out in his cabin because he can't deal with his own failures, and in the climactic final battle scene he is defeated without firing a shot. (Turns out he was a puppet, more or less, of someone who is actually a credible threat, but they barely show up at all in this book; not even enough for decent foreshadowing.) You can't build a strong book on a weak antagonist, and I can't recall ever reading of such a pathetic excuse for a villain outside of farce.

2. The good guys are lame

With such an incompetent, impotent bad guy there's really nothing for the good guys to do. A couple of battle scenes that could have been awesome feel pro forma because the stakes are so low. Are we battling for the fate of humanity? Or just trying to deal with Naomi's loser ex-boyfriend stalking her? The fact that you can't really be sure says just how badly Marko warps this book. Holden's really big character breakthrough is uploading cute videos to (the modern equivalent of) YouTube. And, no, I'm not kidding. That's it.

3. The theme is childish

My son's third grade had a play this week. It was about pirates stealing pinatas and forgiveness and brushing your teeth. That's about the level of sophistication in the "people are tribal and demonize other groups" theme in this book. Don't get me wrong: this is true. But it's presented in such a banal, uninteresting, and cartoonish way in this book that it's cringe-inducing. (See above, re: Holden's ameteur videos to humanize Belters to Earthers so they will forgive having half their population murdered and their planet destroyed.)

4. The tone is totally wrong

Stuff gets blown up in sci-fi all the time, sometimes entire planets. But in the context of The Expanse, bombarding the Earth was huge. And the response of the characters in this book is tiny. Partially this is just a repeat of issue #1: it turns out the guy who blew up the Earth is an incompetent loser who never wins another battle. By making him the focus of the book, it turns the devastation of Earth into kind of a sad joke. In addition, none of the bad guys who turn good (I'm oversimplifying) have an ounce of remorse for what they've done. One apologizes to Chrisjen at the end, but it's lame and only for killing her husband. (And son. Never mind 15,000,000,000 other people.) And then Chrisjen is all "It's OK, I understand. We can't hold grudges." This doesn't work. You can't have Bob rape Sue to death and then say the "magic word" (in this book it's "whoops") to Sue's parents and they all sing Kumbaya and that's it. Reconciliation is great, but it has to fit. It didn't. Even a little bit.

There's also the painfully awkward and inappropriate parallels between Marko and the Belters on the one hand and Osama Bin Laden and Muslims on the other. The political analogy doesn't really fit at all, but some specific scenes in the book (especially when Marko shows off traditional Afghan clothes and states he's going to model his military on their tactics) seem to really want to draw that connection. Well, it's a bad one. Bin Laden killed 3,000 people. He didn't wipe out half of humanity, ruin the Earth's ecosystems (all of them), and potentially consign the entire human race to starvation and ultimate extinction. The political angle seems to be: "Americans should go easy on Muslims who supported Bin Laden because the West is an evil empire" but it doesn't work because (in addition to Marko being worse than Bin Laden) most Muslims (at least, those outside the Palestinian territories) rejected Bin Laden and his tactics long before his death. In other words: I already don't have a problem with Islam. I do have a problem with Belters.

For example, the percent of the population with a favorable opinion of Al Qaeda was 21%, 15%, 13%, 6%, and 2% respectively in Egypt, Jordan, Pakistan, Turkey, and Lebanon just before he was killed.. The percent of the population that rejected killing civilians in suicide bombings under any circumstances was 87%, 74%, 65% in Pakistan, Turkey, and Indonesia (also from Pew). By contrast, Marko enjoyed the support of 1/2 the Belters for his (far worse) terrorism, and even the "moderates" in the book never really decried the attack on Earth. If the Belters are supposed to be the political analogs of real-world Muslims, that's a pretty horrific view of Muslims.

(If you want another view of how messed up the politics in this book are, consider this: Holden immediately realizes that it is vitally important to get Earthers (half of whom have been killed) to empathize with Belters (half of whom are celebrating the largest mass murder in human history), but it never occurs to anyone in the book that maybe it's the Belters who need to learn some empathy for the Earthers after, you know, dancing on the graves of fifteen billion innocent men, women, and children. The first-world self-flagellation is painfully overplayed.)

In short: the tone of this book is totally messed up on its own right, and is even worse if you try to read it as a political analogy. (And hey: maybe you shouldn't! I'd rather not. In which case: maybe don't play up that angle quite so much?)

5. Plot holes are huge

What is the #1 threat to Belters? They can't live in high-G, and so a world full of earth-like planets is one that will leave them behind. What is the most important feature of space-combat in this setting? The ability to withstand prolonged exposure to high-G.

So would someone tell me how the hell Belters somehow end up a formidable threat in space battles? Amazingly and utterly ridiculously, the only person in this book to suffer any ill-effects from high-g is an Earther.

The idea that Belters are simultaneously too frail to survive 1-g and yet somehow able to go toe-to-toe against Earthers and Martians in sustained, high-g space combat is farcical.

The long-term solution to this problem is also rather not (a solution, that is.) Holden decides to give the Belters complete and total authority over all the rest of humanity, with basically total veto rights on which colonies live and which starve to death. Because, hey, turning over the fate of earth-dwelling humans to an unaccountable assortment of terrorists who are only marginally guilty for an atrocity so immense and scope that all other mass-murders pale before it might not actually be the wisest course of action. But hey, what do I know?

So, what went right?

Well, Marko's not around, so that's good. (It's almost inevitable that they're going to bring him back, however, and I'm already cursing the day when his incompetent, bumbling rear end comes back on-screen.)

They also resolved the whole Belter Rebellion. That's good, too. Maybe we can get back to, I dunno, alien technology that somehow opened a gateway to 1,100 new worlds? Or the alien menace that somehow killed that alien superpower, and what it has in store for Earth? Or, you know, anything that "The Expanse" is actually supposed to be about at this point? (This entire trilogy feels like it should have been an optional tie-in, like the novellas, rather than core to the plot.)

I also really, really, really loved the subplot about the researcher on Ganymede. That was amazing, and I loved it so, so much. It was, by far, the best part of the novel.

Finally, the writing was quite good. I feel like it's getting better as we go. There were quite a few turns of phrase or images or metaphors where I was like, "That was quite nice."

So--for that reason--I'm going to stick around for the next book. But not with anywhere near the excitement I had going into this one.

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1834502520?book_show_action=true&from_review_page=1

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

I can't tell if you are being serious or not.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I'm digging the first point.

Like, Marko's grand plan was basically:

1. Throw rocks at Earth.
2. ?????
3. Belter supremacy w/ magical self-sustaining economy.

He got in a good apocalyptic sucker punch and that's it. Marko is lame, yes. The book spends a lot of time having various characters come to terms with the fact that Marco had no plans and was preoccupied with his lover's new boyfriend. He had goals and no real care to actually achieving them.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Milky Moor posted:

I'm digging the first point.

Like, Marko's grand plan was basically:

1. Throw rocks at Earth.
2. ?????
3. Belter supremacy w/ magical self-sustaining economy.

He got in a good apocalyptic sucker punch and that's it. Marko is lame, yes. The book spends a lot of time having various characters come to terms with the fact that Marco had no plans and was preoccupied with his lover's new boyfriend. He had goals and no real care to actually achieving them.
Actually, I was pretty impressed with the coherent future he presented of humanity living in space.

I forget the name of the economist guy, but he was basically my favorite character on that side. He kept undercutting Marco's theatrics, but at the start he was right behind him with a plan. A plan that required them to get building right away.

Once it became clear that Marco had his hands full fighting a war (that Earth wouldn't have been able to wage, were it not for the Rocinante taking out that one control ship, it seems), he became super agitated about the lack of infrastructure inevitably leading to belters starving, and smuggled himself out in crates to have secret meetings with Michio Pa and so on. He was basically the Sim City guy saying, "You can't cut back on infrastructure spending! You will regret this!" but with an incredibly compelling point.

The other thing I disagree with that review about really strongly is the idea that "tribalism is bad" is somehow a juvenile message. Like, yeah, we teach our children this... because it's really important. And it's not at all natural for us. Tribalism is how we're built. Us vs. them is our default mindset. We need something like a society to teach and pressure us to resist it (or to expand our "tribe" to all of humanity). It's a message that's very difficult to get across without coming across as naive or overly simplistic, so I respect any solid attempt at really getting at what this message means. And Babylon's Ashes, though it had major tonal problems with how people reacted to the attack on Earth, did a pretty respectable job on this theme.

The guy even says his favorite part is Prax's story, and he's right, that's the strongest part of the book- in part because it's the payoff for Holden's silly, earnest, naive, hopeful media campaign. The turning point for Prax is watching Holden's video, and others like it. Prax was the perfect stand-in for the type of person who doesn't want to get involved. He had a lot to lose, he was doing pretty good work anyway. There's no reason for him to get involved. If you care about his story, and you care about how brave his actions were, all the more so because he himself is not inherently brave, then you can appreciate the "let's all get along/tribalism is bad" "childish" message of this book.

That said... It would have been more plausible and more powerful if people on the Earth were out for blood. Or if the not-so-bad people in the Belt were more aghast at what happened to the Earth.

I can only imagine this is somehow setting up meaningful human conflict in future books where individuals and smaller organizations loving hate Belters (in a very active way and not the "who cares, gently caress 'em" attitude that used to prevail) for their collective guilt in the greatest crime in human history by several orders of magnitude.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

quote:

The long-term solution to this problem is also rather not (a solution, that is.) Holden decides to give the Belters complete and total authority over all the rest of humanity, with basically total veto rights on which colonies live and which starve to death. Because, hey, turning over the fate of earth-dwelling humans to an unaccountable assortment of terrorists who are only marginally guilty for an atrocity so immense and scope that all other mass-murders pale before it might not actually be the wisest course of action. But hey, what do I know?

When did he give the belt total authority over humanity? Belters are still heavily reliant on resources from Earth and soon the colonies and now they are being given a way to continue trading for those resources, on a more equal footing thanks to Holden, by providing shipping services between earth and those colonies. If they just let colonies starve, where are they going to get those resources now? And its not like Earth and Mars are getting rid of their military and ships, I'm sure they'll still be patrolling and policing.

Grimwall
Dec 11, 2006

Product of Schizophrenia

Blackchamber posted:

I can't tell if you are being serious or not.

Point #4 is well made and articulated a lot of vague opinions I had about the huge tonal disconnect I had with the 15 billion deaths and ruin of humanities's cradle.

On the other hand, I can see people not really comprehending number of deaths beyond 180 in a far of place that at the minimum aggressively don't care about because we are not really built that way. It is why aid agencies focus on individual tragedies to drum up support for relief of mass casualty events.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Grimwall posted:

Point #4 is well made and articulated a lot of vague opinions I had about the huge tonal disconnect I had with the 15 billion deaths and ruin of humanities's cradle.

On the other hand, I can see people not really comprehending number of deaths beyond 180 in a far of place that at the minimum aggressively don't care about because we are not really built that way. It is why aid agencies focus on individual tragedies to drum up support for relief of mass casualty events.

When Mars got rid of their PM because he failed to stop Duarte I thought they were foreshadowing a backlash against Avasarala. The book had no character that acts as a conduit of Earths grief. The next book really needs to realistically address the repercussions.

Another novel that has the theme of Earths destruction being the catalyst for humanity populating the stars is Dan Simons Hyperion.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
There definitely is some truth to the critiques leveled by that review. Particularly when it came to the political ramifications of the conflict.

No way anyone associated with the free navy isn't hunted down and brought to trial. Minimum.

And realistically speaking the war would have ended a lot different, and the belt would be lucky if it were not completely destroyed.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

ZombieLenin posted:

No way anyone associated with the free navy isn't hunted down and brought to trial. Minimum.

Or torn to pieces by *other Belters*.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Here's something I missed (or wasn't addressed): what do Marco and his buddies think Duarte is getting out of their arrangement? We know that Duarte is taking a page from the Protogen playbook and just needs the Free Navy to distract everyone, but what does Marco understand the terms of their trade to be? Duarte handed over, what, 10–20 brand new Martian warships, right? Did Marco think he'd just bought Manhattan for beads, or what?

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Toast Museum posted:

Here's something I missed (or wasn't addressed): what do Marco and his buddies think Duarte is getting out of their arrangement? We know that Duarte is taking a page from the Protogen playbook and just needs the Free Navy to distract everyone, but what does Marco understand the terms of their trade to be? Duarte handed over, what, 10–20 brand new Martian warships, right? Did Marco think he'd just bought Manhattan for beads, or what?

They delivered him the protomolecule from Fred Johnsons office in exchange for the ships. They think he is running tests and will return with new weapons and tech to share.

gohmak fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jan 4, 2017

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

gohmak posted:

They delivered him the protomolecule from Fred Johnsons office in exchange for the ships. They think he is running tests and will return with new weapons and tech to share.

Okay, that makes sense. I misremembered the protomolecule snatch as Duarte's work.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
He's gonna roll through the gate with a fleet full of whatever the equivalent will be of the Earth destroyers with bolted on Shadow tech from that one episode of Babylon 5.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

The Muffinlord posted:

He's gonna roll through the gate with a fleet full of whatever the equivalent will be of the Earth destroyers with bolted on Shadow tech from that one episode of Babylon 5.

With some kind of inertia reducing tech.

Or some other game changer. Maybe they will just enforce their border and set up a non aggressive government.

I suspect they are growing mustaches for the purposes of villainous twirling.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Speaking of that meeting at the end. If Miller were alive I could see Holden point to nominate Pa and Miller putting a bullet in her head.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
There are aliens behind the Laconia gate.

Na'at
May 5, 2003

You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star
Lipstick Apathy

ZombieLenin posted:

There definitely is some truth to the critiques leveled by that review. Particularly when it came to the political ramifications of the conflict.

And realistically speaking the war would have ended a lot different, and the belt would be lucky if it were not completely destroyed.

Since most of the fresh water on Earth is probably full of garbage now and the economy of the entire planet is in tatters it might be a smart idea to NOT destroy and depopulate the area where people live and work to ship water and resources back to the Earth. The big game changer for Mars was the gates crashing their economic base via mass exodus, for Earth it was the rocks destroying infrastructure and population. Realistically speaking Mars and Earth can't really do poo poo against the Belt without loving themselves. Each faction in the solar system is now far more interdependent than they were before and not a one can survive solely on their own or dictate terms like before.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Na'at posted:

Since most of the fresh water on Earth is probably full of garbage now and the economy of the entire planet is in tatters it might be a smart idea to NOT destroy and depopulate the area where people live and work to ship water and resources back to the Earth. The big game changer for Mars was the gates crashing their economic base via mass exodus, for Earth it was the rocks destroying infrastructure and population. Realistically speaking Mars and Earth can't really do poo poo against the Belt without loving themselves. Each faction in the solar system is now far more interdependent than they were before and not a one can survive solely on their own or dictate terms like before.

First of all, people (including governments) don't think very rationally when it comes to things like "you just killed half the people on earth." Humans are not always purely rational beings.

Think about American reaction to 9/11 and multiply it times billion.

I mean, think about the belt destroying the place that produces everything they need to survive, from equipment to food.

Second of all, in a calculus of total war this is all the more reason for Earth to seize access to the people and infrastructure necessary to provide water. If 20 million belters die in the process who cares.

I don't actually think you'd see a real life "ethnic cleansing" of the belt, just a war in which the destruction of a large part of the belts population is acceptable, followed by a less than pleasant "occupational" period.

Of course the war itself probably would result in some retaliation with WMDs, but the earthers wounding kill everyone in the belt.

Edit

Probably. Then again, you might actually see a more controlled government collapse and end up with Nazis. There is historical president who see the war with the belt as a war of extermination. Kill all the belters and belter culture and replace them with good humans from Earth.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jan 5, 2017

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
I find it hard to believe that martians can leave mars faster than new martians are made. The trip takes months, and there are at most a few thousand ships making it, holding maybe 100 each, and there are many millions of martians, so they should have at most a slight decline in population unless they never screw.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Mars = space Japan

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
One thing they never mention in the books or show is that the Martian flag is literally 100% the same as the current Japanese flag.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Bozart posted:

I find it hard to believe that martians can leave mars faster than new martians are made. The trip takes months, and there are at most a few thousand ships making it, holding maybe 100 each, and there are many millions of martians, so they should have at most a slight decline in population unless they never screw.

I think the larger ships carry upwards of a couple thousand, but yeah, with four billion people on Mars, the 10% drop in population that Alex saw doesn't make much sense. I get the impression that the colonies so far aren't much bigger than the one on New Terra, but even if you spread 10% of Mars across every single gate, you're still looking at over 36,000 people per system. It didn't sound like any colony had that many settlers, let alone all of them.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The Expanse:sci-fi geography::A Song of Ice and Fire:fantasy geography

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Alex and Bobbie are definitely among the few Martians that gently caress

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
Given the cost associated with securing berth on a colony ship, and the ridiculous attrition rate of ships dying to Free Navy or not successfully making their jumps (not counting colony destruction by other means while they make planetfall), I'd question how Mars could depopulate itself through emigration that quickly.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

You contribute nothing to this thread and many others in The Book Barn. I contributed to your posting by replying, and as a result I am an idiot. But seriously, dude, do you really get any satisfaction by making GBS threads up the Expansion, Sci Fi, Warhammer 40k and more threads? Lord, save me from Lum avatars.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Jew it to it! posted:

You contribute nothing to this thread and many others in The Book Barn. I contributed to your posting by replying, and as a result I am an idiot. But seriously, dude, do you really get any satisfaction by making GBS threads up the Expansion, Sci Fi, Warhammer 40k and more threads? Lord, save me from Lum avatars.

I don't know what this is but I'm quoting it.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Jew it to it! posted:

Did you forget to hit next page?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I read the last couple pages completely loving confused and then I realized "oh, idiot, the new book came out last month." :downs:

I just wanted to say that this:

quote:

Marko is the bad guy. In the last book, he destroyed the Earth and killed 15,000,000,000 human beings. In this book, he is the world's least competent military commander and basically just an insecure, loser ex-boyfriend. He doesn't have a single tactical insight, he has literally no strategy, he loses every single engagement, he spends quite a lot of time hiding out in his cabin because he can't deal with his own failures, and in the climactic final battle scene he is defeated without firing a shot. (Turns out he was a puppet, more or less, of someone who is actually a credible threat, but they barely show up at all in this book; not even enough for decent foreshadowing.)

Isn't really out of character though? As far as I can remember his best tactics just revolve around having a ton of back up plans. He has no real experience leading soldiers or coordinating ships outside of relatively petty terrorist operations. The asteroid thing working as planned was dumb blind luck helped out by events completely out of his control. He hit the lotto and then thought that made him the next Alexander but he obv is not.

I dunno I never thought he was some genius to begin with and the fact that there's someone else behind him seems like it shouldn't be a surprise whatsoever. I would say it was foreshadowed ever since Nemesis Games but that's too weak a word almost considering he didn't just magick himself up some Mars Navy ships or somehow get all kinds of intelligence and logistical support just from his own lovely terror cell people. Obviously there was a powerful backer.

As to whether the book suffers for having a weak antagonist I guess I'll find out this weekend; I hope people are overblowing the criticism a bit though because I really enjoyed all the previous books.

gohmak posted:

Another novel that has the theme of Earths destruction being the catalyst for humanity populating the stars is Dan Simons Hyperion.

Hyperion is good.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jan 6, 2017