Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Emnity
Sep 24, 2009

King of Scotland

Vim Fuego posted:

How many times did someone "push their food away without finishing it" or "toss the bowl in the recycler with half the eggs left" or "notice with a grimace that the noodles had gone cold and hard" - like twice a loving chapter? Come on space people. There are starving kids on earth that would kill for that stuff. Smdh

I wondered this all through the last book. Ungrateful degenerates

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I just assumed that waste recyclers were really efficient.

If you can throw leftovers in a chute and get back 99% of the nutrients, it’s not a big deal.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Platystemon posted:

I just assumed that waste recyclers were really efficient.

If you can throw leftovers in a chute and get back 99% of the nutrients, it’s not a big deal.

It is every citizen's final duty to toss their half-finished red kibble into the recycler with a grimace and become one with all the people

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Second best book in the series and the Dawes chapter is the best chapter in the series

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

wyoak posted:

Second best book in the series and the Dawes chapter is the best chapter in the series

Are you talking about Babalon's Ashes? I rank it tied with Abaddon's Gate for the worse of the series.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Am I the only one here that loving hated Cibola Burn? God, the characters were annoying. Nemesis Games and Leviathan Wakes are still my favorite, this one feels average (and average in this series is very good).

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

shirts and skins posted:

Am I the only one here that loving hated Cibola Burn? God, the characters were annoying. Nemesis Games and Leviathan Wakes are still my favorite, this one feels average (and average in this series is very good).

I liked Cibola Burn but wish they had spent more time on the inner workings of the loving planet-sized alien machine, and less time on the cast of dumb boring characters. How many times do we need to hear about how sociopathic the sociopathic head of security is?

That was the book that kind of really made me check out on the "human drama" that was going on. Babylon's Ashes had similar issues.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

shirts and skins posted:

Nah, that's conventional wisdom.

I mean, I liked it, but I feel that's a minority opinion. I thought the premise was really cool with the brutal clusterfuck of scientists/colonists/refugees/terrorists/corporate security all being frustratingly human on an incredible alien world, and so I probably forgave some of its weaknesses like that scientist lady lusting after Holden for the first half of the book.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
From the show thread:

bitprophet posted:

Heck, don't even need to hold LEO, just threaten to apply some of their stealth tech to some belt asteroids and fling 'em Earthward.

I didn’t want to draw attention to it there, but who thinks it’s a coincidence and who thinks it’s stealth spoilers?

Rock dropping isn’t exactly an unknown in science fiction, but the stealth tech (and in particular the magic paint) doesn’t get much play till the later books.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Feb 6, 2017

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Platystemon posted:

From the show thread:

I didn’t want to draw attention to it there, but who thinks it’s a coincidence and who thinks it’s stealth spoilers?

Rock dropping isn’t exactly an unknown in science fiction, but the stealth tech (and in particular the magic paint) doesn’t get much play till the later books.

In the show, if not the earlier books (I really need to reread LW now the show's back on...forgetting a lot of it) a big to-do is made of how Mars is supposedly the only nation with stealth tech. In the context of a discussion about orbital bombardment in an Earth-Mars war it seemed like a reasonable thing to put out there.

I've read all the books, so it was intended as a tip of the hat to other book readers, but one that wouldn't immediately appear to show watchers as a spoiler. I don't see why any "likes to speculate about scifi warfare" person wouldn't pretty easily arrive at the same idea (again given the surrounding convo) even w/o book knowledge.

bitprophet fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Feb 6, 2017

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
People who have read the books don't need pretend-I'm-speculating winks in the show thread. If you're so sure the way the books go is the logical conclusion, then let the show-only crowd work it out for themselves.

"Gosh, just spitballing here, but I hope Joffrey doesn't ignore his advisors and order someone beheaded. What?"

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,
Maybe Duarte got blasted by a supernova, and they're afraid of a ghost :v: ?

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I've read the first two novels and novella, was considering starting the third but I'm curious, do we know if there is a planned ending for this, or are we just in open universe (ala Star Wars EU) now?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

^burtle posted:

I've read the first two novels and novella, was considering starting the third but I'm curious, do we know if there is a planned ending for this, or are we just in open universe (ala Star Wars EU) now?
There's a fixed end I believe. I think there are about two more books planned at the moment.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

^burtle posted:

The authors said they have known the ending for years. There will be 9 books total (6 as of now) and the last three are going to the same story arch, kinda an episode 1-2-3 type thing.

Here is the AMA https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/5qb7py/hi_i_am_james_sa_corey_author_of_the_expanse_and/

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Thanks guys! Not going to click to avoid spoilers but I'll wait a bit longer before diving back in.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I haven't put a lot of thought into it and I honestly assume/hope a living alien will never show up in the series, but the Epstein guy's funeral chariot finally crashing out near an alien civilization and freaking them the gently caress out would be a cool short story.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Reading Cibola Burn now and I can't stand Havelock. He's so utterly unbelievably incompetent and servile. Why the gently caress would anyone bother keeping an engineer in prison, especially one of Naomi's renown, when they are days away from crashing into a planet. Od think it was deliberate if the writers didn't also want to have long passages where he cries and relates to Naomi about how they hosed everyone is.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Actress Cara Gee is playing Drummer in the TV series. Refresh me who the hell is Drummer? I can't remember a thing about the character. What books are they mentioned? What action of note did he/she carry out?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

gohmak posted:

Actress Cara Gee is playing Drummer in the TV series. Refresh me who the hell is Drummer? I can't remember a thing about the character. What books are they mentioned? What action of note did he/she carry out?

Tycho's chief of security. Introduced in Nemesis Games, I think. She helps beat back the attempted coup on Tycho, and Fred leaves her in charge when he goes off with Holden. We don't spend a ton of time with her.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

PriorMarcus posted:

Reading Cibola Burn now and I can't stand Havelock. He's so utterly unbelievably incompetent and servile. Why the gently caress would anyone bother keeping an engineer in prison, especially one of Naomi's renown, when they are days away from crashing into a planet. Od think it was deliberate if the writers didn't also want to have long passages where he cries and relates to Naomi about how they hosed everyone is.

He took a step back from when we knew him with Miller, since back then he was trying to assert himself and not just play second-fiddle/gofer.

Pharmaskittle posted:

I haven't put a lot of thought into it and I honestly assume/hope a living alien will never show up in the series, but the Epstein guy's funeral chariot finally crashing out near an alien civilization and freaking them the gently caress out would be a cool short story.

I'm pretty sure the authors have said there won't be any living aliens seen in the series.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Aren't there things that appear to the crews of the vanished ships in their last moments? I guess that depends on whether they qualify as "living" (or "aliens", if they're some sort of artificial construct).

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Lord Hydronium posted:

Aren't there things that appear to the crews of the vanished ships in their last moments? I guess that depends on whether they qualify as "living" (or "aliens", if they're some sort of artificial construct).

Also consider that the crewmen may be tripping balls at that point.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I finished the book a few days ago and it felt like a burden had been lifted from my shoulders. Christ Marco was an awful antagonist, and this series has had some pretty flimsy, badly written antagonists.

I hope the last few books improve and we can get back to the big mystery and Marco stays dead dead dead, never to return or even be mentioned again.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
Everybody else who disappeared comes back but whatever alien intelligence is behind it kills Marco after 5 minutes of having to listen to him.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Everybody else who disappeared comes back but whatever alien intelligence is behind it kills Marco after 5 minutes of having to listen to him.

Three minutes, max.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Calling it: In the next book, Naomi gets haunted by ghost Marco a la Holden's ghost Miller from the previous books.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Toast Museum posted:

People who have read the books don't need pretend-I'm-speculating winks in the show thread. If you're so sure the way the books go is the logical conclusion, then let the show-only crowd work it out for themselves.

"Gosh, just spitballing here, but I hope Joffrey doesn't ignore his advisors and order someone beheaded. What?"

I saw the post in question before getting to that part of the books and it removed pretty much all surprise and suspense for me. As soon as belters stole stealth paint I knew that wasn't actually speculation and it kinda pissed me off.

I'm ok with spoilers, but not when they are packaged as something else.

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

:toot:

Ainsley McTree posted:

Calling it: In the next book, Naomi gets haunted by ghost Marco a la Holden's ghost Miller from the previous books.

That seems unlikely since the ghost Miller was a tool of the protomolecule road builder/, and whatever is eating ships in the gates is likely related to whatever killed the road-builder's civilization.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

KPC_Mammon posted:

I saw the post in question before getting to that part of the books and it removed pretty much all surprise and suspense for me. As soon as belters stole stealth paint I knew that wasn't actually speculation and it kinda pissed me off.

I'm ok with spoilers, but not when they are packaged as something else.

Stuff like this was really bad in the Game of Thrones threads and it's even sadder than it is annoying, talk about self owns

Sarern posted:

That seems unlikely since the ghost Miller was a tool of the protomolecule road builder/, and whatever is eating ships in the gates is likely related to whatever killed the road-builder's civilization.

I'm all on board the "own technology out of control" ala Prometheus and that other sci fi novel series where the terra-forming machines end up destroying human civilization, causing humans to flee the Milky Way

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Non spoiler question. I'm just starting leviathan wakes and enjoying it but I'm curious about something. Belters are humans born in microgravity and are culturally distinct enough in that regard to differentiate themselves from inner planet terrestrial types. What about outer planet inhabitants living on the gas giant moons, though? Are they still considered Belters?

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
To the inners, yeah, basically. Though beyond Saturn there aren't a lot of dense colonies, from what I remember.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Arcsquad12 posted:

Non spoiler question. I'm just starting leviathan wakes and enjoying it but I'm curious about something. Belters are humans born in microgravity and are culturally distinct enough in that regard to differentiate themselves from inner planet terrestrial types. What about outer planet inhabitants living on the gas giant moons, though? Are they still considered Belters?

I don't know that they'd call themselves Belters, but I'm not sure what else to call them, either. It probably varies from moon to moon. Ganymede, for instance, is an inner-planet joint venture, is pretty well-off, and doesn't have much in common culturally with somewhere like Ceres. I don't think they think of themselves as Earthers or Martians either, though.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

The Muffinlord posted:

To the inners, yeah, basically. Though beyond Saturn there aren't a lot of dense colonies, from what I remember.
Just five thousand around Uranus as of LW, which is the furthest out before the gates open. I was also surprised when rereading LW that there were 20 million people around Saturn. I always thought of things beyond Jupiter as pretty sparse, especially given all the secrecy around Phoebe. And other than a stopover at Titan in the last book, we've never really gotten a good look at the Saturn system.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
I would imagine the Saturnian moons that are of scientific or mineral usefulness would have outposts, but shipping from that far would probably limit them to specifically exporting elements and compounds that wouldn't appear or be harder to retrieve further down the well.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Saturn is where all their water comes from, makes sense that there would be a lot of infrastructure out there along with it.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Don't they consider themselves belters? Did the term come up during Prax's section in the latest book with the Free Navy occupation? I can't remember now.

In any case they're definitely outers, as opposed to inners, and call under the "natural" purview of the OPA.

Though thinking about it now the gas giant moons aren't super well developed locations in the books, though you'd imagine they'd be at least as developed as the Belt, and we get hints that they are. I hope the show ends up giving a neat picture of Ganymede like it did for Ceres last season.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Isn't Ganymede where all belters gestate and are born?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

gohmak posted:

Isn't Ganymede where all belters gestate and are born?

Only if they’re fortunate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
people go there to conceive children because it's better protected from radiation, so less chance of something going wrong with the child's development.