Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
That whole line of thinking is just dramatic irony though. It isn't just the belter way of life that has become obsolete - the entire economy, every aspect of life, and probably humanity itself has become obsolete by the protomolecule. The rebel martians ain't coming back human.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
Or maybe the plot would have been too complicated?

I was kind of surprised that Mao didn't kill Marco, because they kept saying he underestimates women and who is more dangerous to underestimate than her? Naomi apparently.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

Collateral posted:

They never interact though? Unless you mean Pa? In which case she never had an opportunity. He had a dozen gunships surrounding his insecure arse all the time. They were bigger and faster than her three ships.

I mean Clarissa Mao. I thought she and some of the rest of the Roci crew might be captured, then while Marco is gloating she turns his head completely around. I understand that it did not turn out that way. She is just made to be underestimated.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

ZombieLenin posted:

It was weird to me, I agree with everything you're saying, but I was left a little disappointed by the ending.

Vanishing Marco to save the day seemed a little deus ex machina, and there was finality to the ending I didn't expect at all.

The last few books, all them until now really, were very cliff hangary. Some in the epilogue, and some in just the meat of the ending.

This one, I was like, well there is the missing mars fleet, but pretty much everything else is wrapped up, including a new political solution to what's been going on for most of the series.

Yes this book pretty clearly marks a turning point from threats from inside of the Solar system to threats outside of it.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
I think the weird darkness in the in-between wormhole space is the thing that killed the protomolecule builders, but I don't think it came from there. I think some of them just got stuck there and have been hanging out for a few dozen million years. Then someone stumbles on them and they do what they do.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
I find it hard to believe that martians can leave mars faster than new martians are made. The trip takes months, and there are at most a few thousand ships making it, holding maybe 100 each, and there are many millions of martians, so they should have at most a slight decline in population unless they never screw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
There is also blindsight by Peter Watts which is solid, and free.