Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I've only watched 7 episodes of the TV show, while I've read all the books, and I'd say the show is a better show than the books are books, if that makes any sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Man if you like yourself some robotic beetles I suggest a little thing called The Long Earth books.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

ATP_Power posted:

I'm pretty sure that Duerte's 'immortality' is gonna have some problematic side effects beyond what we've seen so far.

Reading people's thoughts ruins a lot of the best board games/party games. You can only play things where you roll or spin and then move down a track like Candyland.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Toast Museum posted:

Yeah, I don't know how other places handled it, but Audible just swapped the versions one day. The original was rough enough that I started looking more critically at the whole series.

I like the idea that every big fan of the Expanse novel series eventually has a "Wait a second..." moment, which seems to be true from what I've seen anecdotally.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Inspector 34 posted:

Quit bein a bitch and pill me up!

You totally rule.
I totally already know that.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Overall yeah but am I the only one who cringes when Drummer opens her mouth?

...Why?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

A journalist who read this whole book asked the authors how they sleep at night and their response was "On top of a pile of money, with many beautiful protomolecules."

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

AlternateAccount posted:

Well that was exceptionally pedestrian. He fed the finished novel into the recycler.

You've summed it up better in one short sentence than pages of posts could do.

It wasn't a bad ending, I didn't recoil from it. It wasn't a good ending, and I'm not going to celebrate it. It was just an ending.

Also way more geriatric sex than probably any piece of fiction I've ever read in my life. That's fine! Old people are sexual beings too!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

If the series had ended with Holden using his protomolecule powers to broadcast a message of hope and optimism and everything else across the 1300 human systems that would've been a perfect loop of him and the others desperately broadcasting a message to everyone in the Sol system about the malfeasance they'd uncovered right at the start of the series right after they got off the Canterbury. That would've been a perfect way to tie the series up in a bow, do some fanservice, and service the story. It's a really obvious move and I'm surprised they didn't do it. Maybe they thought it was too obvious?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

They got the one lady in the first episode of the TV show who looks a little freaky and belter-ish but I just don't know how they would do that for so many characters for so many episodes without it being an animated show.