Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

acumen posted:

BA + Speculation: They sorta did explain the disappearing ships and Laconia. The gates can only handle a certain amount of mass when transporting to the slow zone and the rest get vaporized. The second alien race that killed the protomolecule creators seem to have some sort of influence in that dimension or whatever though. Laconia/Duarte are being set up as the next big bad and pretty clearly have the last protomolecule sample which they're using to engineer new tech.

Also, anyone else think they've really set themselves up for a video game/mmo at this point, like they had originally planned? I wouldn't be surprised if one was in the works right now with where the plot is at.

Maybe I'm misremembering the end of Nemesis Games but didn't the Martian Warship carrying the protomolecule get munched by the gate on the way to Laconia?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Seriously, Marco is at least four hundred Hitlers, and that’s if we attribute all deaths in the European theatre to Hitler (combat, Holocaust, famine, &c.).

This reminds me of an extremely old and good post

quote:

One hitler shall henceforth be a unit of measurement equal to 6.0*106 human deaths.
Standard SI prefixes apply. Thus Harold Shipman's achievements amount to 36 microhitlers.

The true utility of the hitler as an SI unit is it allows useful unit conversions.
For example: the EPA currently values a human life as being worth 6.9 million us dollars (6.9 megadollars). A simple unit conversion thus gives us 1 hitler is equivalent to -41,400,000,000,000 dollars. (-41 teradollars).

It can therefore be quantitatively established whether or not someone is "worse than hitler". When congress failed to pass a stimulus bill in 2008 the market lost 1.2 trillion dollars in 1 day, roughly equivalent to 29 millihitlers. Joseph Stalin is the only human I know of who can be called worse than hitler, as his achievements clocked roughly 5 hitlers.

When your bank nails you with a 35 dollar fine, you can confidently tell the teller that they are currently loving you over to the tune of 84 picohitlers and ask if they have a very tiny auschwitz behind the counter.