Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

ZombieLenin posted:

Not really, but I connect the bullets to the "slow zone" precisely because the grenade launcher actually works, and then the further reduction of velocity in the slow zone is a response to that; however, it occurs to me that you guys are right. If the slow zone affected what was happening inside the ships, nobody would be hurt by the sudden reduction of velocity of the ship.

Yeah, the fact that everyone got hurt shows that the field isn't affecting objects inside of the ships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

Yeah, I just finished Excession and I quite liked it. It was interesting seeing things from the point of view of the Minds.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

General Battuta posted:

The protagonist guy from Excession might be the worst person in the whole series*

*this is probably hyperbole but god I hate him so much

I mean, all he did was sleep with someone in a free-love society. His spouse stabbed a fetus to death and almost killed him over it.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

General Battuta posted:

Nah, that's cool (the sleeping, not the fetus stabbing), it's the abandoning the Culture and having yourself physically altered to join a society which not only (!) engineered sentience out of its females but also genetically engineered said females to feel pain during sex :wtf: that puts him high up on the poo poo list.

Okay, fair point

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

Nail Rat posted:

Having finished LW, CW, the Butcher of Anderson Station, Drive, God's of Risk, and The Churn, does anybody else find The Churn as hosed up as I do? "Timmy" is like 15 and Lydia is an old woman. The narration says we just don't get it but that's...really hosed up. I guess it's from the perspective of a hosed up kid but she's a straight up predator.

I know I shouldn't have read it yet but I've seen through season 4 of the show and so spoilers are ambiguous at this point.

I don’t think you are supposed to agree with Amos about how he feels, it’s just that victims of stuff like that often have a very complex set of feelings about their abuser and what happened. Personally, I think depictions like this one are important for helping to validate the way people feel about this stuff and acknowledge that it is complex and difficult to deal with/recover from. Painting all victims as completely outraged and only filled with negative emotions about their abuser can alienate people who are struggling with mixed emotions about their own experiences.