Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kerwyn
Aug 21, 2007
When Holden is describing the slow zone on camera (to the reporter lady for her documentary or whatever) when they first enter he notes that it doesn't extend to inside ships for whatever reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kerwyn
Aug 21, 2007

ZombieLenin posted:

Reading BA and I'm confused about the status of the Martian navy. It's stated that 1/5th of it flew off through the gate, but why about the other 4/5th? They talk about Mars like the whole navy is gone.

Also, I don't get the direction they are going with Mars. I think the idea that the gates, and the risk they represent, would not account for a total depopulation of the planet. It's actually pretty hard to get people with comfortable lives to immigrate to frontier conditions.

Yes, a lot of people might leave, but they make it sound like 2/3rds of the people on the planet just gave up their lives, careers, connection to family, and headed for the gates because "no domes."

Edit

Holy loving poo poo Fred was one of my favorite characters. Didn't see that coming.

It wasn't just the fifth or whatever hosed off through the gates and got eaten. It's implied at least that Duarte had some ships with him from the initial expedition to Laconia or whatever, plus everything they sold to Marco's band of maniacs.

I don't think specifics are ever given but it's probably closer to half the fleet

kerwyn
Aug 21, 2007
He's the friend that zombie kid went to meet before the accident

kerwyn
Aug 21, 2007
I really enjoyed that the "goths" are apparently some form of intelligence and not just the builder aliens tech running up against the laws of the universe, was afraid they'd take the easy way out

Also, "Like a fuckin' Valkyrie" :cry:

kerwyn
Aug 21, 2007

adebisi lives posted:

Overall I liked TW but one thing kind of bugged me but I'm not sure if it's a plot hole - how does Laconia or anyone for that matter know that the gates eating ships is related to whatever killed the protomolecule aliens and shot the bullet into the laconian battleship 1 book ago? That just seems like a pretty big logical leap that everyone in the book seems to take for granted. Couldn't the mass limit on the gates just be a built in feature? The TV show seems to be dodging this by having Holden see the black alien monster rushing him as they pass through the gate at the end of the last season

spoiler'd just in case Duarte makes the connection and tells Holden about it during the PR epilogue. Says that something doesn't like them using the builder's technology and connects the bullet on the Tempest to the disappearing ships. Doesn't seem like too big a leap but readers can already make the connection because of the similarity between Elvi's experience passing through the bullet and the PoVs of various characters getting dutchman'd

kerwyn
Aug 21, 2007
I think the publisher was planning a short story/novella collection when all was said and done but idk

kerwyn
Aug 21, 2007
I'm picturing an epilogue from the PoV of the protomolecule, stumbled upon by some other alien race hundreds/thousands of years in the future, describing it building a ring for them, then ending with the phrase "It reaches out."

it won't be that, I'm sure, but that'd be pretty cool imo

kerwyn
Aug 21, 2007

Hed posted:

Last flight of the Cassandra: I didn’t really get the point of this one. I read them all in “as published” order which means I read this right after book 8 but don’t remember any references to Martian religious sects or sacrifices or anything. The only thing I really got out of this is that before the MCR, there was the male symbol, which haha men are from Mars.

Did I miss one of these characters or something else?

This was a stretch goal for the RPG Kickstarter, was supposed to just be a little story in the setting and nothing more (and IIRC won't be reprinted when they do the collection of all of them)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kerwyn
Aug 21, 2007
Abaddon's Gate also describes them destroying multiple systems (hundreds?) to try to contain what killed them.