Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

Eiba posted:

Like, I'm trying to imagine it. Say China ruled the world and was loving with the livelihoods of the people around me and we were all scared if our way of life was going to survive or not... how hosed up would stuff have to get before a nuke going off in Shanghai wasn't something that would reduce me to tears at the incomprehensible tragedy of it? I know the whole point was that each side stopped seeing the other as meaningfully human, but... I still don't get it.

I guess the obvious comparison is people celebrating on 9/11...

How is the fact that we dropped a nuke on Japan, then we dropped a bigger one on them, and we didn't even really need to, the war was essentially over at that point, we just wouldn't accept anything other than unconditional surrender and they didn't want to give that, not the obvious comparison?

It was what, like the '80s before we finally said, "uh, sorry." and left it at that.

Maybe you'd cry, maybe a lot of people would, but that wouldn't stop it from happening or the people responsible from rationalizing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

Der Luftwaffle posted:

I think it came up in a Bobbie chapter early on when she was walking around earth and thinking that all the training for a Martian invasion was bullshit because they'd all just be exhausted despite the growth hormones and junk.

That's not it, she was talking (thinking) about the existential horror she experienced going outside. The point was the 1+G training was nothing more that a security blanket that tricked Martian soldiers into at least considering fighting.