Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
I just found this thread, absentmindedly looked at some spoilers, saw character names I hadn't heard before and so I found out book 8 is out. :downs:

Good timing, I could use some less pretentious prose after marathoning John C Wright's Golden Oecumene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
After reading Tiamat's Wrath, I plowed through the show's season 2 and 3. It's absolutely great to see how they adapted the story just so, shifting character stories around just enough and outright merging characters to stick to the original story while making better suited for a TV series. I was really worried about Drummer for a moment, it looked as though they were going to kill her off in a last stand like Bull did.

On the other hand, I thought Ashford's representation in the show was much better than in the books. Until the end, he looked like a honest dude just trying to do the right thing, much like Holden. Maybe I'm misremembering, but I thought in the book he read more like an insecure bumbling guy who felt his authority was being undermined by Bull.

I'm definitely curious to see how Amazon will take it from here. There's definitely been a few cases where SyFy seemed like it was cutting corners to save on VFX budget, and the next books ramp up into serious protomolecule business. How are they going to portray the lapses in consciousness? Kind of annoyed that we'll have to go through the Marco Inaros and Free Navy story to get to Laconia's. Inaros and Duarte basically have the same storyline of somehow trouncing all of humanity before getting disabled by a dumb mistake, but I much prefer the Laconia storyline to the Free Navy's.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

I preferred the beginning of the series, precisely because it was sci-fi that's still on a very human scale. Conflict local to the solar system, no handwavey faster-than-light travel or immortality or other crazy space opera technology to elevate the human race. Just humanity trying to move forward as a whole and yet still getting constantly undermined by political scheming, geopolitical tension and corporate greed.

Maybe that makes it a little bit depressing that it's too close to the actual state of humanity, but it did make for good storytelling!

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Ainsley McTree posted:

I’m really impressed with the consistent pace, yeah. Without sacrificing quality, even

Excuse me, Nemesis Games counts as sacrificing quality. :colbert:

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

TV series Ashford is a mix of book Ashford, Bull and Drummer--during the Slow Zone crisis, he commits the same actions as in the book, but does them out of a sense of duty instead of out of a desperate ego trip to preserve his political status. Having to deal with a limited episode count forced the TV writers to condense different characters into a vastly superior more believable one.

TV show Murtry is still book Murtry because, well, there's not really any nuance to introduce when the book already stages him as a more coldblooded killer than Amos. He's basically the perfect foil to Holden's White Knight complex, and the clusterfuck on Ilos is constantly distracting Holden from addressing Murtry before he becomes the problem he is.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Nail Rat posted:

But I happened to see that Babylon's Ashes has nineteen POV characters.

Many of those of them are basically just intermission characters, though, much like The Investigator in Cibola Burn.

It's not their fault that the events they are POV-ing happen to be a boring slog. :haw:

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

I hope they don't recast 30 year older everyone because that'd mean seeing less Drummer and I don't think I can accept that.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Two books, except one of the two books is about Marco Inaros's zombie consciousness coming back from the space between the gates to wage war against Laconia.

you heard it first :yum:

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Yeah, as much as "ending the story in the same way/situation it began" is such a common trope, that doesn't mean it's a good one.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Is there a new OP or has no one truly said anything until Season 5 landing today?

I'm still only in the first episode, but my hope is still that the show writers manage to make Marco and Fillip not be comic book dunce villains, much like they made Afford into a relatable "villain" for the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

KPC_Mammon posted:

I really love what they did with Ashford in the show. Having him and Drummer working together as a team is wonderful. I'm rewatching the show with my girlfriend (it is her first time seeing it) and his death is an episode or two away and I'm not looking forward to it.

Ashford was the best example of a one dimensional boring character that was actually made interesting and nuanced with the show writing. Drummer taking on Bull's role in that arc felt weird at first, but it meant more Camina Drummer and I'll never say no to that.