Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Yeah I think the point was that they could go settle a new, empty, habitable world by just building a house instead of trying to terraform the planet. It was more about ease and quality of life than anything else. I do think in this scenario Mars would still play an important role as a staging ground for trips through the gate, but that wouldn't require the same amount of laborers as a terraforming project. I can't remember if they talk about that at all or if it was just all just doom and gloom and people whining about the Martian economy.

edit: Is there a reason we're all spoilering stuff that happened in the previous books? I'm fine with doing it if it's just a courtesy or whatever, but is there a rule about when stuff doesn't need spoiler tags anymore like in the TV IV forum?

Inspector 34 fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Dec 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
If the whole thing is spinning, a counterweight just means a lot of dead space. Why not have an identical usavle surface on the opposite side of the space you described? Then add identical spaces 90° from each of those spots. Then keep going and now it's just a rotating balanced cylinder.

Why waste so much necessary space with a small weighted balance when it could be usable instead? Doesn't even need to be habitable, just make storage space or something and it'd make more sense.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Quit bein a bitch and pill me up!

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
And also being a little confused by millennial culture

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I think maybe there's a difference between only managed to do so vs only bothered to do so. Who knows how many other Phoebe's they fired off to the other side of the galaxy before they went extinct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
That's fair. And obviously there haven't been any gates opened very much further out as far as anybody could tell, I'm just saying they might have flung some stuff pretty far out and just because it hasn't gotten there & opened a gate doesn't mean they didn't try.

But I also kind of hate when people go on and on speculating about the actions/motivations of fictional entities that will never be answered and this is dangerously close to that so I'm happy to just let it be.