Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

The same thing, as far as audiobook narrators, happened in Jim Butcher's Dresden Files books. James Marsters did all of the audiobooks but one where he was unavailable to do it. There was so much outcry that a few years on they got Marsters to record that book so that you could get the whole series by Marsters.

Maybe, if people bitch enough, the same thing will happen for the Expanse books. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Syzygy Stardust posted:

He’s never publishing The Winds of Winter.

Especially since he had that health scare a while back, I've pretty much resigned myself to a Jordan WoT scenario where he dies or retires and someone else finishes it up from his notes. I'll be happy to be proven wrong, of course, but it feels like the most likely scenario at this point. :sigh:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

MalarkeyToboggan posted:

You will be proven wrong. He's said that he won't allow anyone to finish his books after his death. And we all know that he isn't finishing them so the series is pretty much done now.

Eh, pretty sure whomever gets his estate after he dies will get to decide that. And that person (wife? kids? :shrug:) will be looking at a big pile o' money if they let someone finish the books for them. I'm betting pile o' money wins out in the end.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

So am I reading that right that it's a thirty year time jump? Yeah, didn't see that coming either!

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

I'm a little concerned by the fact that the exact same crew seems to be doing the exact same thing 30 years later. It seems like there should be more crew, some of the old crew should have left or died, or something. Seems odd, is all.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Eiba posted:

Did I read it wrong or did they imply that Clarissa is the captain now, not Holden. I mean, that seems a bit different. I can buy that they're a bit sentimental/set in their ways otherwise. Seems like the theme of the story is going to be at least in part about older folks adjusting to a radically new world, so a bunch of has-been relics in an old ship seems thematically relevant. We'll see where things go though. Looking forward to the rest of the book!

I'd imagine the show isn't even aspiring to cover this material. I guess their best case is to cover until the end of Babylons Ashes. That'd probably be a good end point if they got that far.

Well, there's the possibility of obfuscation in that in the Drummer bit they only talk about "Captain Holden", but then in the Bobbie section they do mention that Holden is a he, which obviates the obvious route of making the captain be Naomi Holden or something. Could still be Jim and Naomi's son, I suppose, or other male relative. Probably still Jim, though. That said, now that I'm looking at it there is no explicit mention of Naomi, and while I'd assumed that the reference to Claire was just a shortening of Clarissa's name, I guess it could be a new character.

I don't think so, though, and I'm getting a feeling that most of the crew of the Roci is the same as when we last saw them.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

bloom posted:

The really important question here is what does the time jump mean for Avasarala? She's not exactly young and it'll suck if she's either dead or sidelined as a retiree.

Probably that, though. I mean Fred's already dead, and she's of his generation. I expect that the people who were the old farts/mentors/experienced leaders are all dead or out of the game, with our current cast taking their places and a new generation of brash hotshots, including perhaps, Alex's son being the active hero types now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Ainsley McTree posted:

I’m not necessarily opposed to that, but dying of old age offscreen in between books is a pretty inglorious end to a beloved character’s arc.

Seems like something they might cover in one of those between book short stories or novellas if she doesn't make it to Persepolis.

ZombieLenin posted:

Neither is the main protagonists jumping in age from their 20s in the case of Clarissa and their early to mid 30s for the rest of the crew to their 50s and 60s.

Frankly speaking, you can only spin the near future sci-fi angel so far with, “the 60s is the new 40s...”

Basically you are taking protagonists your readers are now invested in after multiple books, and putting them straight into an age bracket that, I’m guessing, most of your readers won’t identify with.

At least that is how it appears without the book in my hand. And while that may work just fine artistically, it does not work well as a business decision.

This is because, frankly, of guys like me. I don’t care how good a novel is, if I cannot relate to the protagonist in some fundamental way, particularly if there is an event that changes the character(s) from familiar and relatable to neither, I won’t finish the book and by extension will give up on the series totally.

Hence the introduction of younger cast to take their places as the "relatable" ones, I suspect. That's probably why they've got so large a time jump, so they can reasonably do The Expanse: The Next Generation in a way that only a five or ten year jump wouldn't allow.