Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pyzza Rouge
Jun 25, 2011

La Mano de Dios

Platystemon posted:

I considered the possibility that it was a remnant of the security system that enforced a speed limit in the slow zone. Who knows if the speed limit would have applied to the alien propulsion method Eros used?

If you have magical bullshit drives and your enemy doesn’t, it would make sense for your ring gates to reject HIGH ENERGY objects.

But if that’s the case, why didn’t The Investigator disable it, and why is the overloading object itself is not re‐routed to the ~alien dimension~?

I can’t imagine why you’d want the fate of an incoming ship to depend on how much energy other ships transiting other gates were using.

It's likely simply a hard limit on the energy/mass the slow zone hub can transport in a certain window, just like Naomi discovered. The hub, which I assume powers the actual transfer between dimensions, may have a limit to its energy production.

Considering their capacity, the previous occupants of the slow zone would have waited significantly longer than the two minute window required to vanish Marco's ships to avoid the effect. Had the Sol gate been established with humans still farting through space with chemical propulsion, it's possible they wouldn't have even triggered the limitation.

Just because the gates' builders considered physical laws a joke doesn't mean they had clowned interdimensional travel as thoroughly. And the way the mass ghosts seem connected to gate travel it may have been the establishment of slow zones that started the previous race's extinction.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Which may be a giant mistake. We've taken for granted that the U.N. is U.

Anyone short of Duarte taking out Avasarala would feel... inadequate. Returning to his home system with superweapons, achieving a bloodless surrender, then executing his biggest political rival would be a hell of a way to start book 7, and set a contrast to Marco's sloppy space-rock-genocide-then-war strategy.

If ol' "Ragin'" Chrisjen Avasarala actually bit the big one it'd honestly hit me harder than any character in the series. Even more than Amos or Peaches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyzza Rouge
Jun 25, 2011

La Mano de Dios

Eiba posted:

I loved a lot of details in the latest book. One I was just thinking of was the scene with Alex in the bar when things were going well with that woman (whose name I forget). Things are going well, they're all drunk and she's flirting heavily with him, and he thinks he might be in for a fun time that night, so he slips off to the bathroom and gets a packet from a dispenser.

And it turns out it's anti-narcotics because they're going to be doing something everyone needs to fully consent to.

And when she sees it she's like, "aww yeah."

It was both a funny twist, and another heartwarming example of modern problems being unremarkable basic decency in the future. :unsmith:

Yeah I enjoyed it more than any book in the series so far. Going with so many already well-developed PoV characters was a big factor for me.

E.g. Having a solid Amos chapter without having had several previous chapters to get used to his voice made it super enjoyable, despite the fact it was all for a quiet Holden character development moment.

Praxidike's Family Time was similarly enjoyable, though I still hope the effects of his actions will have a bigger impact later. Just didn't feel very necessary plotwise.

Pyzza Rouge
Jun 25, 2011

La Mano de Dios

ZombieLenin posted:

It was weird to me, I agree with everything you're saying, but I was left a little disappointed by the ending.

Vanishing Marco to save the day seemed a little deus ex machina, and there was finality to the ending I didn't expect at all.

The last few books, all them until now really, were very cliff hangary. Some in the epilogue, and some in just the meat of the ending.

This one, I was like, well there is the missing mars fleet, but pretty much everything else is wrapped up, including a new political solution to what's been going on for most of the series.

At the very least, there was an opportunity to reveal a bit more about how the ghosts work with Marco. I certainly wouldn't have minded him getting explicitly eaten either.

The ending was definitely the weakest bit. Between the peace conference and the gate trick nothing felt like a solid win.

The books are okay about setting up and swerving to big moments. But once they arrive there's not enough drama poured into them, at least for my tastes.