Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Yeah, I thought it might be some internal faction, or like some infectious malfunction of their mega-engineering projects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I love the detail that the aliens died off literally a billion years ago. Completely nips in the bud any theory that we're their descendants, or murderers, or designs, or that there's any special connection at all between earth and their civilization.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
One thing they never mention in the books or show is that the Martian flag is literally 100% the same as the current Japanese flag.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I thought it was fascinating, yeah. I know these books aren't really meant to be about weird ancient alien stuff, but it's great whenever they delve into that stuff. I was surprised to find it was --SUPER mild spoilers here-- set eight years after colonisation. Guess we're getting a time-skip for PR.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I just looked it up, and Leviathan Wakes came out a month before the latest ASoIaF. This entire series so far fits into the gap between GRRM's books.

They've said they're doing 9 total, right? It's a stretch, but I can imagine The Winds of Winter taking until 2020.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
It makes sense, really. It's kind of ridiculous how much upheaval happens in like a five-year span, or however long the books so far take. I was wondering in Babylon's Ashes how they could possibly keep the story going without society just collapsing from exhaustion-- a time-skip, and a new, yet well-established status quo seems like a neat way to do it.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
To be fair, whatever ate the ships has been waiting around for literally a billion years, it's not unreasonable for it to take a few decades to realise the gates are in use again.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I suggested it for Christmas, like an idiot.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Yes and yes.
The next book is arguably the best in the series, in fact.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Honestly, I barely remember CW. People are mixed on the third book (it was poorly received at the time, although I've heard quite a few people saying they loved it on the re-read); if nothing else, it's very different to 2. I'd give it a shot if I were you.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Wait, what's Singh's role in Strange Dogs? Does he drive the car or something?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
How bout "Death Slugs for Elvi"

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

acumen posted:

at 33 I'd be nearing the end of my life expectancy a few hundred years ago too.

No, you wouldn't.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
From looking at a thread on reddit, it seems even worse than that. Some people got about 12 chapters (probably 1/4 of the book); some got seemingly random slabs of pages from throughout the book. Total mess.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
James "Lose Clean" Holden

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Regarding the second point: I think Mars had a couple, and the Donnager was the first one launched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

NecroMonster posted:

so i finished book 4. I ain't read no spoilers. The thing that killed the protomolecule's creators is/was deffo just another faction of protomolecule creators right?

Do you actually want an answer to that?

It's not explicit, but from the fleeting descriptions of the destroyers in later books, it seems like they were extremely alien to the gate-builders.