Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012
In Nemesis Games, I remember thinking how completely unrealistic it was that Marco could somehow pull off this huge operation with stealing anti-radar material and throw huge rocks at Earth. Then in one of the last chapters, it's revealed that he's basically just a puppet of Duarte, who was the one pulling all the strings.

So I don't really agree with the criticism that Marco was too incompetent. He was supposed to be a very charismatic leader with a huge ego and a big grudge against Holden and Naomi. And he has never been portrayed as this strategic mastermind. He was in way over his head, but too proud and stupid to really see it.

And the part about Belters being able to keep up in space fights with everyone else was kinda explained with them having access to better juice. Fred Johnson basically died because they only had lovely juice that didn't work as well as it should.

My biggest criticism is really how the Belters where able to go toe-to-toe in space battles. Sure they had modern ships, but pretty much none of them have any military training, and there is no way a bunch of people who have never controlled a fleet of warships can fight against a professional enemy. The book tries to portray them as guerrilla fighters, but then suddenly there are these big space battles with 10+ ships on each side, and they trade evenly or even favorably.

I actually liked the story about Filip. His first few chapters made me groan about what a man-child he was (even if he's only 17), but the later chapters fleshed him out better. He wasn't mentioned at the end at all, so I've hoping we'll find out what happened to him in later books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU