Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

everyone looks like their firefly counterparts

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Captain Fargle posted:

gently caress CLAIRE.

I spent the whole book being pissed off at her and I guess maybe that was the point but jesus christ. Sticking her in there with Anna didn't help matters either. "Oh boo hoo! We're trapped in deep space with limited resources and THOSE ASSHOLES want to execute the self-confessed mass murderer! I'm going to emotionally blackmail you into not testifying against her now!"

Just gently caress right the hell off.

Good news, she's out of prison and ready to kick rear end for book 6!

I do think the authors have some weird kind of anti-worship for nasty people, where they call them psychopaths and make them able to effortlessly clown on everyone around them at all times. Which is strange after they did Amos so well...

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Murty wasn't loyal to his corporation - he was loyal to his own dream of being the Big Man making Hard Choices. He was going to live that dream even if in real life he was a jumped up security guard and the hard choices weren't necessary. He's super believable to me - just think of any basement prepper who can't wait to gun down 'looters' come the apocalypse.

Marco makes sense politically. I just didn't like how easy everything seemed to him. All his rebels fell in line, Naomi was a chump until it was too late, and he stayed in smug control of everything the whole time (from the flashbacks, for his whole life even). No doubt it will be explained next novel that he was a sociopath and therefore had the magic ability to clown on everyone by not caring much about them :rolleyes:. Either that or his path was being cleared by like twenty different intelligence agencies who may or may not have thought he would actually push the button.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

If history is anything to go by people will be travelling and trading as soon or sooner than it's remotely practical. Even with a frontier to settle people don't wall themselves off and do nothing but internal infrastructure until they're caught up to developed nations.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I think a closer comparison would be if 90% of Japan was plunged into the sea, completely destoying all infrastructure, cultural heritage and continuity with the pre war government.

E: also it's all of East Asia that's destroyed instead of only Japan. Like belters and earth, most of the western population has never even seen East Asia!

Strategic Tea fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Dec 15, 2016

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

That's cruel and unusual, lobbing asteroids is far more defensible in court.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Yes but 'fascism is efficient' is exactly the sort of truism the Expanse is built on. Or the more glaring 'psychopaths are magic apex predators who effortlessly own everyone'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Dandelion Sky :cry: