Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
There was one throw-away line in the first third of the book about how they were all taking anti-ageing drugs on top of their normal anti-rads and/or blood purges.

I feel like some editor had all these same complaints about the time skip and that was their solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I didn't read it that way.

They tried their move other directions first and it says his helper spent 3 days searching for the evidence. I think it just felt a little that way because the economy of space in a novella means everything we see has to be important to a relatively small story.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I interpreted the whole tit for tat thing to be that the gods had been playing it with us the entire time. We push it too far, they poke us and see if we can learn. Which we mostly did right up until we decided that we were the ones in charge of the game.

I don't think anything gave us the impression that life couldn't have just gone on the way it did if we had maintained the correct level of ship passage and stopped shooting the big guns.

The whole deal was that Laconia pressing to solve the old God problem was supposedly about protecting humanity, but it was always just about protecting the ability to use the big gun.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Travic posted:

I'm about 3/4ths of the way through Leviathan Falls and did Duarte seriously pull a Dr. Manhattan and put himself back together in such a way that he is now a god that will save humanity?

e: eh, that's a little spoilery.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
And where Duarte had been a PM tool for years at this point, Holden had only been for several hours; he may have been able to see "let's kill God!" for the insane suicide plan that it was in a way Duarte was no longer able to. He'd been forged too far into a PM tool.

The more I think on it, I see it as the old gods "felt" us harnessing their power like an itch with no obvious source. Taking ships dutchman was the equivalent of scratching your nose in your sleep, just a thoughtless bit of relief. Taken to the next step, like firing the big gun, you get a more direct and thoughtful intervention, you start hunting around for a "why?" Like an ant in your arm hair. Everyone in the slow zone being held off by Duarte/Holden was a heroic last stand to us but to the old gods may have been just a light irritation inside a cast. Something they couldn't relieve or let go of.

It was true for the PM makers and true for us. We were never going to go unscratched so long as we itched.

Just my theory on the whole thing

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

External Organs posted:

Post expanse, I think a cool short story would be records of correspondence between one or more worlds that were 5-6 light years from each other. You could follow characters on each planet over many decades, being light delayed pen pals.

Tbh I can also see how the distance + communication could amplify technological progress while at the same time making physical conflict impossible.

A Clarke version of this where two civilizations 5 LY apart had been trading science back and forth for 100 years as they progressively work toward FTL, but not really trading that much information about their arts or culture.

Except our POV culture is long overdue to receive the next letter and ... whoops now there are a bunch of ships blinking into our atmosphere from nowhere. Maybe we should have asked them about their politics at least once.

[story ends with no resolution]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
New novella (plus the collection) is out today.

I liked it, definitely a better coda to the series than the actual coda we got (though you certainly couldn't end that book with something like this, so no complaints).